FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   F passengers need to learn how to use overhead bins (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1131572-f-passengers-need-learn-how-use-overhead-bins.html)

dollerman73 Sep 29, 2010 3:05 pm

F passengers need to learn how to use overhead bins

Was on DL LAX-SLC yesterday and arrived to find all F overhead bins closed when I opened them I found jackets, rollerboards in sideways and laptop bags face down. You would expect pax in F to be better users of bin space. I started moving some stuff around to make room for my carry on and the FA comes over to help, and the "gentlemen" seated in F, yells "Don't touch my stuff!"

Expect your stuff to be moved if you pack the bins like a moron! Thanks to the great FA who repacked the entire F cabin for my and another F pax luggage, above and beyond.

Also, IMHO if you bring on a rollerboard that doesn't fit wheels or handles first you should have that bag checked!!!

Vuelos Sep 29, 2010 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by dollerman73 (Post 14843803)
Expect your stuff to be moved if you pack the bins like a moron!

^^^

^^^

^^^

dd992emo Sep 29, 2010 3:20 pm

Popcorn time!!! :D

pdac1975 Sep 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Was on DL LAX-SLC yesterday and arrived to find all F overhead bins closed when I opened them I found jackets, rollerboards in sideways and laptop bags face down. You would expect pax in F to be better users of bin space. I started moving some stuff around to make room for my carry on and the FA comes over to help, and the "gentlemen" seated in F, yells "Don't touch my stuff!"

Expect your stuff to be moved if you pack the bins like a moron! Thanks to the great FA who repacked the entire F cabin for my and another F pax luggage, above and beyond.

Also, IMHO if you bring on a rollerboard that doesn't fit wheels or handles first you should have that bag checked!!!

^^^
I couldn't agree with this post more. You would think people who fly often would know how to accomplish this simple task. Also, if you DO insist on bringing on a roller bag that only fits sideways, how about putting your laptop bag under your seat? You may believe yourself to be super important and superior to all others on the flight, but NOBODY is important enough to take up an entire bin with their crap!
Darnit!, now I'm all fired up! :mad:

akonradi Sep 29, 2010 3:29 pm

Flying MSP-SEA this past weekend, some lady decided to put her coat, hat, backpack, rollaboard, and her bag of goodies from McDonald's in the overhead. When making room for my single item, I asked if she planned to eat the egg McMuffin in the next four hours or if I should just pitch it for her. That went over well.

You must not understand that first is a haven for the DYKWIA breed. They travel with lots of junk, which of course cannot sit in their floor storage space.

CJKatl Sep 29, 2010 3:35 pm

While I agree with almost all of your post, I always get the FA before I start moving stuff in the bins. The FA will always help you move the stuff and, usually, ask for the owner and if it's okay to move the stuff. Nobody will say no to the FA, and you avoid the jerk passenger going off on you.

When I've put my stuff in the OH it, if it's moved, there is room for someone else's stuff, I have no problem having it moved, but I do have a problem with someone touching my stuff and/or moving it without asking.

BTW, why do people put jackets in the OH if they're in first? Heck, even if I don't get an UG, I ask to put my jacket in the closet.

gsupstate Sep 29, 2010 3:46 pm

AND... F passengers need to learn how to not use bulkheads as footrests!

A little OT, but one of my pet peeves. I find a ride in FC to be a well-deserved and hard-earned honor (FWIW); it really is infuriating and extremely saddening to see people with their feet on the wall in front of them.... In FC.

dd992emo Sep 29, 2010 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by gsupstate (Post 14844421)
A little OT, but one of my pet peeves. I find a ride in FC to be a well-deserved and hard-earned honor (FWIW); it really is infuriating and extremely saddening to see people with their feet on the wall in front of them.... In FC.

I gotta ask...do FC pax have nastier feet than Y pax? :confused:

Kohoutek Sep 29, 2010 3:51 pm

A little OT, but one of my pet peeves...F passengers need to learn how to not use bulkheads as footrests!

A little OT? :D

jeff30189 Sep 29, 2010 4:11 pm

As a DM, I agree with you.

Originally Posted by akonradi (Post 14844154)
You must not understand that first is a haven for the DYKWIA breed. They travel with lots of junk, which of course cannot sit in their floor storage space.

I'm 100% on upgrades this year, and I usually fly with a standard rollaboard plus a fully stuffed computer bag that always goes under the seat in front of me. The outbreak and infestation of the NACGL (North American Common Gate Louse) is in part driven by the need for F passengers to stake a claim on overhead space.

Bulkheads get a pass, as I know they do not have any underseat stowage. However, I am shocked at the entitlement attitude of non-bulkhead F passengers who think nothing of putting an oversized rollaboard and their personal item in the overhead, effectively squeezing out the last couple passengers to board in the forward cabin.

I dont mind the feet on the bulkhead as long as they are covered with clean and non-odiferous socks. Much better than having to smell a fish sandwich or takeout container of chinese food.

TravellingMan Sep 29, 2010 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by pdac1975 (Post 14844131)
^^^
I couldn't agree with this post more. You would think people who fly often would know how to accomplish this simple task. Also, if you DO insist on bringing on a roller bag that only fits sideways, how about putting your laptop bag under your seat?

These days the laptop bags are the size of roller boards and on more than one occasion see people drop their roller board and laptop roller board in the bin without any consideration for others in the cabin. They are just acting like pigs.

howl0007 Sep 29, 2010 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by akonradi (Post 14844154)
Flying MSP-SEA this past weekend, some lady decided to put her coat, hat, backpack, rollaboard, and her bag of goodies from McDonald's in the overhead. When making room for my single item, I asked if she planned to eat the egg McMuffin in the next four hours or if I should just pitch it for her. That went over well.

:D

LADELTA777 Sep 29, 2010 4:33 pm

So you are saying that only people in F class know how to travel, and pack.

I guess you were wrong, i think people in F class are more unwilling to fallow the rules, and to be a bit more rude toward other paxs and FA just because they are traveling in F class.

for the record I do agree with you 110 %

elitetraveler Sep 29, 2010 4:36 pm

If you can't find room in the overhead, ask the FA for assistance. I have a roller bag that only fits sideways in some overheads. I have seen people turn it, put their bags in without checking to see if the bin closes. I would consider that rude. I have seen people try and rearrange others bags and break things. A good rule of thumb is if it isn't yours, don't touch it.

n301dp Sep 29, 2010 4:39 pm

If only they had some sort of space where flight attendants could place things like coats on hangars, labeling them with the seat # of the occupant!

^ to this thread!

Even more off topic--I was particularly infuriated when I once witnessed a woman change her baby in the aisle of the airplane between row 1 and the galley of a 757.