Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

F passengers need to learn how to use overhead bins

F passengers need to learn how to use overhead bins

Reply

Old Sep 29, 10, 3:05 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SLC
Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Priority Club Platinum Elite
Posts: 394
F passengers need to learn how to use overhead bins

Was on DL LAX-SLC yesterday and arrived to find all F overhead bins closed when I opened them I found jackets, rollerboards in sideways and laptop bags face down. You would expect pax in F to be better users of bin space. I started moving some stuff around to make room for my carry on and the FA comes over to help, and the "gentlemen" seated in F, yells "Don't touch my stuff!"

Expect your stuff to be moved if you pack the bins like a moron! Thanks to the great FA who repacked the entire F cabin for my and another F pax luggage, above and beyond.

Also, IMHO if you bring on a rollerboard that doesn't fit wheels or handles first you should have that bag checked!!!
dollerman73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 3:19 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Likely being followed...
Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Posts: 5,240
Originally Posted by dollerman73 View Post
Expect your stuff to be moved if you pack the bins like a moron!




Vuelos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 3:20 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gulf Coast/Ventura County/Somewhere in between
Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Posts: 4,430
Popcorn time!!!
dd992emo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 3:27 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Posts: 997
Originally Posted by dollerman73 View Post
Was on DL LAX-SLC yesterday and arrived to find all F overhead bins closed when I opened them I found jackets, rollerboards in sideways and laptop bags face down. You would expect pax in F to be better users of bin space. I started moving some stuff around to make room for my carry on and the FA comes over to help, and the "gentlemen" seated in F, yells "Don't touch my stuff!"

Expect your stuff to be moved if you pack the bins like a moron! Thanks to the great FA who repacked the entire F cabin for my and another F pax luggage, above and beyond.

Also, IMHO if you bring on a rollerboard that doesn't fit wheels or handles first you should have that bag checked!!!

I couldn't agree with this post more. You would think people who fly often would know how to accomplish this simple task. Also, if you DO insist on bringing on a roller bag that only fits sideways, how about putting your laptop bag under your seat? You may believe yourself to be super important and superior to all others on the flight, but NOBODY is important enough to take up an entire bin with their crap!
Darnit!, now I'm all fired up!
pdac1975 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 3:29 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Amsterdam
Programs: CRJ-200 Detester Club Diamond, :rolleyes: Platinum
Posts: 1,597
Flying MSP-SEA this past weekend, some lady decided to put her coat, hat, backpack, rollaboard, and her bag of goodies from McDonald's in the overhead. When making room for my single item, I asked if she planned to eat the egg McMuffin in the next four hours or if I should just pitch it for her. That went over well.

You must not understand that first is a haven for the DYKWIA breed. They travel with lots of junk, which of course cannot sit in their floor storage space.
akonradi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 3:35 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ATL
Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Posts: 8,738
While I agree with almost all of your post, I always get the FA before I start moving stuff in the bins. The FA will always help you move the stuff and, usually, ask for the owner and if it's okay to move the stuff. Nobody will say no to the FA, and you avoid the jerk passenger going off on you.

When I've put my stuff in the OH it, if it's moved, there is room for someone else's stuff, I have no problem having it moved, but I do have a problem with someone touching my stuff and/or moving it without asking.

BTW, why do people put jackets in the OH if they're in first? Heck, even if I don't get an UG, I ask to put my jacket in the closet.
CJKatl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 3:46 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr
Posts: 2,450
AND... F passengers need to learn how to not use bulkheads as footrests!

A little OT, but one of my pet peeves. I find a ride in FC to be a well-deserved and hard-earned honor (FWIW); it really is infuriating and extremely saddening to see people with their feet on the wall in front of them.... In FC.
gsupstate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 3:50 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gulf Coast/Ventura County/Somewhere in between
Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Posts: 4,430
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
A little OT, but one of my pet peeves. I find a ride in FC to be a well-deserved and hard-earned honor (FWIW); it really is infuriating and extremely saddening to see people with their feet on the wall in front of them.... In FC.
I gotta ask...do FC pax have nastier feet than Y pax?
dd992emo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 3:51 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
A little OT, but one of my pet peeves...F passengers need to learn how to not use bulkheads as footrests!
A little OT?
Kohoutek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 4:11 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phoenix
Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Posts: 676
As a DM, I agree with you.

Originally Posted by akonradi View Post
You must not understand that first is a haven for the DYKWIA breed. They travel with lots of junk, which of course cannot sit in their floor storage space.
I'm 100% on upgrades this year, and I usually fly with a standard rollaboard plus a fully stuffed computer bag that always goes under the seat in front of me. The outbreak and infestation of the NACGL (North American Common Gate Louse) is in part driven by the need for F passengers to stake a claim on overhead space.

Bulkheads get a pass, as I know they do not have any underseat stowage. However, I am shocked at the entitlement attitude of non-bulkhead F passengers who think nothing of putting an oversized rollaboard and their personal item in the overhead, effectively squeezing out the last couple passengers to board in the forward cabin.

I dont mind the feet on the bulkhead as long as they are covered with clean and non-odiferous socks. Much better than having to smell a fish sandwich or takeout container of chinese food.
jeff30189 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 4:23 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DEN
Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Posts: 2,525
Originally Posted by pdac1975 View Post

I couldn't agree with this post more. You would think people who fly often would know how to accomplish this simple task. Also, if you DO insist on bringing on a roller bag that only fits sideways, how about putting your laptop bag under your seat?
These days the laptop bags are the size of roller boards and on more than one occasion see people drop their roller board and laptop roller board in the bin without any consideration for others in the cabin. They are just acting like pigs.
TravellingMan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 4:29 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Starwood Plat
Posts: 189
Originally Posted by akonradi View Post
Flying MSP-SEA this past weekend, some lady decided to put her coat, hat, backpack, rollaboard, and her bag of goodies from McDonald's in the overhead. When making room for my single item, I asked if she planned to eat the egg McMuffin in the next four hours or if I should just pitch it for her. That went over well.
howl0007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 4:33 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LAX - san fernando valley, CA
Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
Posts: 1,156
Originally Posted by dollerman73 View Post
Was on DL LAX-SLC yesterday and arrived to find all F overhead bins closed when I opened them I found jackets, rollerboards in sideways and laptop bags face down. You would expect pax in F to be better users of bin space. I started moving some stuff around to make room for my carry on and the FA comes over to help, and the "gentlemen" seated in F, yells "Don't touch my stuff!"

Expect your stuff to be moved if you pack the bins like a moron! Thanks to the great FA who repacked the entire F cabin for my and another F pax luggage, above and beyond.

Also, IMHO if you bring on a rollerboard that doesn't fit wheels or handles first you should have that bag checked!!!
So you are saying that only people in F class know how to travel, and pack.

I guess you were wrong, i think people in F class are more unwilling to fallow the rules, and to be a bit more rude toward other paxs and FA just because they are traveling in F class.

for the record I do agree with you 110 %
LADELTA777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 4:36 pm
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,916
If you can't find room in the overhead, ask the FA for assistance. I have a roller bag that only fits sideways in some overheads. I have seen people turn it, put their bags in without checking to see if the bin closes. I would consider that rude. I have seen people try and rearrange others bags and break things. A good rule of thumb is if it isn't yours, don't touch it.
elitetraveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 4:39 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CMH
Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Posts: 628
If only they had some sort of space where flight attendants could place things like coats on hangars, labeling them with the seat # of the occupant!

to this thread!

Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
A little OT, but one of my pet peeves. I find a ride in FC to be a well-deserved and hard-earned honor (FWIW); it really is infuriating and extremely saddening to see people with their feet on the wall in front of them.... In FC.
Even more off topic--I was particularly infuriated when I once witnessed a woman change her baby in the aisle of the airplane between row 1 and the galley of a 757.
n301dp is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread