Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F passengers need to learn how to use overhead bins

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
Originally Posted by jeff30189
Bulkheads get a pass, as I know they do not have any underseat stowage. However, I am shocked at the entitlement attitude of non-bulkhead F passengers who think nothing of putting an oversized rollaboard and their personal item in the overhead, effectively squeezing out the last couple passengers to board in the forward cabin.
Corporate policy severely restricting personal use of company laptops means that I usually travel with two carryon laptop bags (one company, one personal). I check my rollaboard.

Unless I'm in the bulkhead and until everyone else in FC has stowed their luggage, one laptop case goes in the overhead and the other under the seat in front of me. If there is empty space after FC has finished boarding, I may move the other laptop into the overhead.

A couple of months ago, I'm seated in FC when Ms. DYKWIA (seated in the row behind me) sees my laptop in the overhead and asks "Whose computer bag is this?"

"Mine," I say.

"It belongs under the seat in front of you," says Ms. DYKWIA.

"I already have a bag under the seat in front of me," I say as I show her.

"Well, I have to put my bag somewhere," says Ms. DYKWIA.

I was about to tell Ms. DYKWIA exactly where she could put her bag, when another passenger pointed out that there was empty space in the overhead two rows back.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Not just FC

I have experienced the same DYKWIA from coach as well. I was travelling alot connecting thru DTW to MSP last year and was in the bulkhead row pretty much every weeks. There was a PAX I would see across from me on the other row every week who even though had bulkhead on a DC9 would put both his rollerboard and laptop bag up. (on the DC9 there is more room than in FC for your legs in the bulkhead row). It happened week after week where I would see other PAX without status come on last and have to check their bag and he never moved his laptop.

I actually got so irritated once that I called him a a**hole that he would do this even when people couldn't find space.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
If you can't find room in the overhead, ask the FA for assistance. I have a roller bag that only fits sideways in some overheads. I have seen people turn it, put their bags in without checking to see if the bin closes. I would consider that rude. I have seen people try and rearrange others bags and break things. A good rule of thumb is if it isn't yours, don't touch it.
Another good rule of thumb is if your bag doesn't fit in the overhead wheels first, check it.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pdac1975
Another good rule of thumb is if your bag doesn't fit in the overhead wheels first, check it.
Actually your 'rule of thumb' isn't needed: DL and all airlines have size restrictions for carry-on baggage. If it meets those restrictions, there is no problem bringing it on whether you like it or not.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Actually your 'rule of thumb' isn't needed: DL and all airlines have size restrictions for carry-on baggage. If it meets those restrictions, there is no problem bringing it on whether you like it or not.
Amen...it is not my fault that my 20" TravelPro fits cleanly in the "SizeWise" container, but has to go sideways if placed in certain bins on certain aircraft.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:32 pm

In general, regardless of cabin class, stupid, arrogant, and/or should reap what they sow. We should bring the whole traveling world down to the lowest common denominator of the traveling moron/jerk.

I once saw an arrogant PM (let's call him Francis) in coach who laid his coat horizontally in the overhead on the 3-seat side of a MD-88, then put his briefcase beside it, and closed the bin, so nobody could "touch his stuff". As the plane filled up, and the FAs were looking for places to store the last carry-ons, I volunteered to the FA "I think there is some space in that bin". Francis gave me a look like he wanted to kill me.

I rarely see people with normal sized roll-aboards not being able to fit wheels or handles first into extended overhead bins. My recommendation: If you are a road-warrior, and your roll-aboard doesn't fit wheels or handles first in an extended overhead bin, invest in a new roll-aboard that will.

My roll-aboard (Eagle Creek Tarmac 22) will barely fit the Size-Wize, but it fits wheels or handle first in an extended overhead bin on a 737/757 and the 3-seat side of the MD-88 without any issues. The trick is to put it in handle first, not wheels first. Yes, the stupid can't figure this basic trick out. Obviously, my roll-aboard will only fit sideways on the 2-seat side of the MD-88 or in the 763 overhead bins.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Amen...it is not my fault that my 20" TravelPro fits cleanly in the "SizeWise" container, but has to go sideways if placed in certain bins on certain aircraft.
Or, that the Hartmann 22" roller that DL offered as a gift to MMers, which fits the SizeWise, will only fit sideways in certain bins on certain aircraft.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Agreed. If it doesn't fit unless it's sideways, gate check it.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ncwillett
Agreed. If it doesn't fit unless it's sideways, gate check it.
When you get a job at DL feel free to make this a rule.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by dd992emo
I gotta ask...do FC pax have nastier feet than Y pax?
The fact that you ask that question is in itself sickening. I shouldn't even have to bring this up in the first place.... Esp. as relates to FC!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; NW Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz President's Circle
When you get a job at DL feel free to make this a rule.

Just guessing, I expect your rollerboard only fits sideways?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by LKYGSR
Any bag that fits in the sizer as he states will fit nose first 90 percent of the time. It's odd situations like the very front of a 737 or some 757s where the curvature shortens the bin a bit that can throw it off.

And with at the gate upgrades not a lot of choice if you're put in one of the very first seats. Call it rude, greedy, whatever but not every sideways roller bag is a middle finger directed at fellow pax.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Depends on the aircraft. I only place it sideways if it doesn't fit in vertically.

Not quite sure what makes some folks here think we need even more rules.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; NW Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz President's Circle
Depends on the aircraft. I only place it sideways if it doesn't fit in vertically.

Not quite sure what makes some folks here think we need even more rules.

This thread is about consideration of others. Why do we need rules to deliver some consideration to others?

Google "why do we need rules"

"Why do we have rules and laws? Quite simply, to handle disputes, errors, or poor judgment of a given person"

It applies to rollerboards, feet on walls, rude language, etc, etc, etc.....

Is it really that difficult to make minor adjustments in life to promote consideration of all?

BTW, I have over 7 years of constant travel under my belt and I have yet to find an aircraft my rolloerboard won't fit handle first on one side or the other. Because I made sure I bought a rollerboard that I knew would fit in an effort to be considerate of others.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:36 pm
Suspended

This thread is about consideration of others. Why do we need rules to deliver some consideration to others?

Google "why do we need rules"

"Why do we have rules and laws? Quite simply, to handle disputes, errors, or poor judgment of a given person"

It applies to rollerboards, feet on walls, rude language, etc, etc, etc.....

Is it really that difficult to make minor adjustments in life to promote consideration of all?

BTW, I have over 7 years of constant travel under my belt and I have yet to find an aircraft my rolloerboard won't fit handle first on one side or the other. Because I made sure I bought a rollerboard that I knew would fit in an effort to be considerate of others.
I am a considerate traveler. Asserting that people who have a rollerboard that is within the required size but doesn't fit straight in on every aircraft is inconsiderate is absurd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.