Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Fish: Mileage calculator tool available for download

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2005, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta murdered it. RIP WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Zaad
Is there something wrong with my version? I've downloaded the newest version ( 1.39 ) and the program says that I get for AMS-MXP-MAD and back: 22556 miles. If this was real it is very nice but unfortunetly it's not right what do I wrong?

Many thanks
I show 1.39 reporting 495 miles AMS-MXP, and 716 miles MXP-MAD. can you tell me what each segment is reporting? Make sure you don't have anything on the right-hand side of the screen - any sort of bonus miles - enabled.
Old May 16, 2005, 3:26 pm

Programs: KLM Blue Plus
Originally Posted by rmyadsk
I show 1.39 reporting 495 miles AMS-MXP, and 716 miles MXP-MAD. can you tell me what each segment is reporting? Make sure you don't have anything on the right-hand side of the screen - any sort of bonus miles - enabled.
No I've nothing enabled on the right side and the segments are AMS-MXP: 1849 and MXP-MAD : 9434. It's very strange and not only by this two segments.

Thank you
Old May 16, 2005, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA - Always
Just to let you know...I get 495 for AMS-MXP and 716 MXP-MAD so works fine here. ver 1.39
Old May 17, 2005, 12:57 am

I've reinstall te program a couple of times but the fault stays it's very strange maybe something with me computer settings
Old May 17, 2005, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zaad
I've reinstall te program a couple of times but the fault stays it's very strange maybe something with me computer settings
It may be your computer's regional settings. We've seen this before and I had implemented a fix for many configurations. What are you using as a separator, if any, in numbers?

For example: 1,000
Old May 17, 2005, 7:47 am

Do you mean in programs like Exel? I use a , in Exel. I hope this help you.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 5:03 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
??? problem!

Some technical problems with Flying fish 1.39
ZRH-GVA 6662 miles?
ZRH-BKK 9355 miles?
ZRH-FRA 4615 miles?
ZRH-LAX 3006 miles?
etc.....

I guess FF doesn't calculate correctly...
Can anyone explain that?

Old Aug 23, 2005, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K; F9 Summit
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
Some technical problems with Flying fish 1.39
ZRH-GVA 6662 miles?
ZRH-BKK 9355 miles?
ZRH-FRA 4615 miles?
ZRH-LAX 3006 miles?
etc.....

I guess FF doesn't calculate correctly...
Can anyone explain that?

I have 1.39 and get ZRH-GVA as 143, ZRH-BKK as 5614, etc.
Perhaps you should reinstall?!
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
rmyadsk, and news on Flying Fish? I've been using your programme for a long time now and never said "thanks" either. So, THANKS. I've got it linked up so I just have to hit the [window] key and a couple of letters and it's up there.

My version 1.39 Nov 12 04 still does not recognise MEX, has this been included on any other versions?
Old Jan 31, 2006, 1:08 am
Original Poster

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
So, THANKS.
It's funny, about an hour before seeing this message I decided to begin work on it...again. What a coincidence. Early last year a quasi-work project, for GPS navigation and route planning, presented itself, and I had been spending all my C++ time on that - a program for only one customer, but that customer happens to command a ship I ride.

Some of the two projects overlap each other - in the new program I've rewritten the distance calculation objects and a few other things that I first introduced in Flying Fish (and they're much better now).

Tonight I updated the Flying Fish airport database and in a couple days will make it available here, with airport codes (including MEX, finally). If anyone has missing airport codes, please send them my way so I can update my "datamaker" script.

In updating the database, I learned that DAFIF data would cease being publicly available beginning October 1 - sad news. In any case I will continue with development. This week I'm going to write a smaller code-to-name-to-code program, and then incorporate that source into Flying Fish. Sit tight, good things will be coming, and thanks for your support.

I need to update that webpage too...
Old Jan 31, 2006, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
I too have been using flying fish for years. It is absolutely the most used FF related program I use, along with FT of course.

The only suggestion I have is this. When looking up cities by name, is there anyway for it to show a list of the cities below, that match?

So that when you start typing LOND you get a match of all airports thats name have that string, or at least start with that string?

Sometimes when I am looking for an airport code, I have to just go to a webpage so that I can find what I am looking for,
AKA,
Flying fish is sure that I want LDB, until I type LONDO and then I want ELS, and it just seems it would be easier if it would just show all current matches for the string. At least the first 10-20 matches. Not that remembering LHR is tough, but sometime the search by name is a bit tough to find what you want.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ja_user
The only suggestion I have is this. When looking up cities by name, is there anyway for it to show a list of the cities below, that match?
This is an excellent idea and one I'll be incorporating into the next "mini-program" which will contribute its lookup features into Flying Fish. Another previous difficulty was the inability for me to link two codes to a single airport - i.e. LHR and LON could not both point to Heathrow. I may have found a workaround for this.

Tonight, I converted the data file into XML for future versions. I'll have the "production" data file in the current format tomorrow night. Get those last-minute missing codes requests in here please!
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:02 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If anyone has missing airport codes, please send them my way so I can update my "datamaker" script.
Ryan, I currently maintain a worldwide airport database (2300+ entries) as a part of my [KVS Availability Tool] project, and would be happy to share it for the purposes of FlyingFish...

It doesn't have the co-ordinates data, but you could always use a script to append that data from whichever source(s) you're using for that. At least, this way, there will be no "missing codes" like "MEX" ...
Old Feb 1, 2006, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
It really seems like there should be an online DB with all this info in it, including the location information. Although, an export occasionally should be sufficient to keep them sync'd.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN
OSL, TRF and a number of other european airports. An online database would be useful.

Aidan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.