Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Fish: Mileage calculator tool available for download

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2004, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta murdered it. RIP WorldPerks
Time for a bump. Has anyone found the Easter Egg yet? There's one built into the program beginning in version 1.30. It has to do with the flight routing box.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 2:41 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Thumbs up

Oh-so-thank-U! ^
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Classes now working

I replaced the database lookup functions with some class information, as I was working on above. Now there is only one initial, light load from a .dat file at program startup, and from there everything is buffered in memory. That means the program won't continually hit the database (which now no longer exists) each time you do a lookup.

Incredulously, this method has reduced the amount of memory used by the program by 60-70%, typically 4 MB at twelve segments load versus 10 MB with the database version. Lookups are fast and easy.

The code lookup feature has laso been converted. The lookup by name is deprecated right now because it's going to be tricky to implement searching of text names.

New file sizes: EXE 268KB, DAT 126KB

Of course, removing all the MS-specific database lookups opens up a world of possibilities. Down the road, versions for Mac and Linux are possible. I really want to create a Pocket PC Version.

I'll put out a middling version this week which includes the new routines. Also it will have the option for mandatory validations of airport codes as they are entered.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

1.3.3 released

All,

I'm going to go ahead and release 1.3.3 tonight. Let's call this a semi-preview version as 1.3.5 will incorporate everything stated above. This version includes the new lookup methods (i.e. no database) and also adds a working name lookup feature, one which I am very pleased to get working. Please note that name lookups won't happen until you type in five characters into the search box. If you see an airport come up that isn't the one you wanted, keep typing - the code will be found with specific enough name information.

I'll probably rework the lookup routines and interface (I especially like the idea of a dropdown box with the matching airports for a generic query), but this is a very good start considering there is no longer a database to search!

I've started working on the code validation popup window but am stilling wrestling over the interface so I haven't checked that part in yet. I'm headed to Honolulu Wednesday morning, so it's a good bet we won't see another public release until I return on July 2. Keep the bug reports, suggestions, and feedback coming, though, as I'll be working on the code while I'm away (I just won't have the mechanisms to check it in, package it, and release it).

If you're installing this version on top of an old version, you may delete the ARPT.mdb file in the program directory - it is no longer used. If you're curious to see the raw data, you may open the ARPT.dat file in a text editor - it's a comma-separated-values list. Just don't delete that file, as the program taps it at startup and loads everything into memory.

The new download size is 237KB, as compared to 610KB for 1.30. Also the program once installed takes less space then before.

Enjoy.

Download Flying Fish 1.33 - direct program link
Old Jun 27, 2004, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Exclamation Virus alert received when Flying Fish updated

I received a virus alert when I downloaded Flying Fish 1.33 and then hit the update button. Whether this is an actual virus alert or the steps necessary to update the database, I dont know. This is the message I received from Norton Internet security, as it recorded "multipe attacks" against my PC.

Date: 6/27/2004 Time: 17:38:50
Rule "Default Block Sokets de Trois v1. Trojan horse" blocked (xxx.xxx.x.xxx,xxxx). Details:
Inbound TCP connection
Remote address,service is (flyingfish.oscarfish.com(216.120.231.253),ftp-data(20))
Process name is "N/A"

rmyadsk: any ideas on what is going on?
Old Jun 27, 2004, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cvg-aa
I received a virus alert when I downloaded Flying Fish 1.33 and then hit the update button. Whether this is an actual virus alert or the steps necessary to update the database, I dont know. This is the message I received from Norton Internet security, as it recorded "multipe attacks" against my PC.

Date: 6/27/2004 Time: 17:38:50
Rule "Default Block Sokets de Trois v1. Trojan horse" blocked (xxx.xxx.x.xxx,xxxx). Details:
Inbound TCP connection
Remote address,service is (flyingfish.oscarfish.com(216.120.231.253),ftp-data(20))
Process name is "N/A"

rmyadsk: any ideas on what is going on?
The "Check for Upgrades" button doesn't update any of the software. It opens an FTP socket and checks the current version against a text file on the web server. I can only think that my web host's server is infected.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Bonus miles / itinerary cost issue fixed

I have identified and corrected the error where adjusting the itinerary price caused the total itinerary mileage to increase. What was happening was the total was being calculated each time the price changed (as it should) by summing elite, non-elite, and bonus miles (as it shouldn't). The total was snowballing because the bonus miles were being added each time, instead of being added only the first time (or more precisely, the last time they were changed).

I've redone the entire mileage/total/cost calculation methods and it functions properly now. Also there is support for itineraries with no actual flight miles (i.e. bonus miles only). This is a quick and easy way for you to identify a cost per mile for bonus offers only or for third-party sources (i.e. credit cards, car rentals, hotel stays, etc.) - and this option also works for bonuses where the bonus miles are elite-qualifying or status-only.

Also in the new version is an auto-validation option where you may confirm each airport name after entering its code.

You'll see these changes implemented in the next released version, 1.35, due out the evening July 4 (soon after I return from Honolulu).

Last edited by rmyadsk; Jul 2, 2004 at 8:15 pm
Old Jul 4, 2004, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Version 1.35 is now available. Also in this version I have decided to bring back checkboxes for several interface options: roundtrip routing, auto-insert of dashes, auto-validation (obviously this one is new), and always on top. The "options" menu still exists and you may control these via that method if you prefer. Clicking the checkbox or corresponding menu will have the same effect.

One quick note: if you're installing over an old version, the flyingfish.ini file will no longer work. For the options mentioned above a different method is used to store your preferences, so make sure that your flyingfish.ini is a new one (i.e. recreate and save how you want the program to behave over the new file, rather than copying in an old flyingfish.ini).

Version 1.35 Direct Program Link (240KB)

Last edited by rmyadsk; Jul 4, 2004 at 11:21 am
Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:46 am

Bug

When upgrading from 1.3 to 1.35, with any two airport code combination:

Run-time error '6':
Overflow

and then the program crashes.

Edited to add:

I think I know why: the program is probably not taking into consideration the Regional Configuration settings (Windows Control Panel), in particular the decimal separator, when reading the floating point values from the ascii (.dat) file.

Last edited by Viajero; Jul 5, 2004 at 4:06 am
Old Jul 5, 2004, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero
When upgrading from 1.3 to 1.35, with any two airport code combination:

Run-time error '6':
Overflow

and then the program crashes.

Edited to add:

I think I know why: the program is probably not taking into consideration the Regional Configuration settings (Windows Control Panel), in particular the decimal separator, when reading the floating point values from the ascii (.dat) file.
Good troubleshooting, thanks for the extra info. I'll look for a workaround for that tonight but I would guess it won't be easy to synthesize the decimal points. Previous versions (prior to 1.33) use the old database access method so you likely won't have a problem with that one.

Looking into it now, thanks.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 5:06 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rmyadsk
I would guess it won't be easy to synthesize the decimal points. Previous versions (prior to 1.33) use the old database access method so you likely won't have a problem with that one.
Just keep in mind that most conversion functions (i.e. Format(), CLng(), etc.) all perform conversion/formatting based on the system settings). Only Str() & Val() will always follow the American number format, which can be useful if you wanna store internal numeric data in a text file.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by rmyadsk
Good troubleshooting, thanks for the extra info. I'll look for a workaround for that tonight but I would guess it won't be easy to synthesize the decimal points.
Looking into it now, thanks.
Your are welcome. Even if you don't fix it, however, one change you could easily make is to use a semi-colon (";") as field separator in the text file, that way all I have to do is to search-replace the decimal point (".") for a comma (",").
Old Jul 14, 2004, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Another BUMP

This is a good tool for all MR'ers, it needs to be in plain sight.

^
Old Jul 17, 2004, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero
Your are welcome. Even if you don't fix it, however, one change you could easily make is to use a semi-colon (";") as field separator in the text file, that way all I have to do is to search-replace the decimal point (".") for a comma (",").
Tonight I'll be releasing 1.36, which contains a slightly tighter database (with less private-use airports which will never be used in this program). It also implements the excellent suggestion above (semicolons for commas in the data file).

I'm updating the database now and will do a bit with the help file. Expect to see 1.36 available within a couple hours.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

1.36 is available and includes the fixes mentioned above. Enjoy, and please provide feedback on any airports which may be missing from this version.

Download Flying Fish 1.36 (232KB)

Last edited by rmyadsk; Jul 18, 2004 at 10:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.