ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bdsklar
Having an issue and challenge - know how to use ITA but having an issue with fare codes, trying to mix Y with PE on AA and BA.

Only able to pull up ALL coach, or ALL PE fares, not mixed fares....can anyone help as to why this happens

all fares come up as in PE, not mixed coach and PE
It is very likely that there are no valid combinations of fares that fly you in economy trans-Atlantic and in premium economy on the LHR-JNB-LHR sectors. If you really want to do this, you will have to buy two separate tickets: JFK-LHR-JFK and LHR-JNB-LHR.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:22 am

Hello, im trying to get MAD-ITALY-SVO-LED with Alitalia codeshare FOR IT-RU legs with SU, but cant force ITA to make SVO-LED flight, or atleast with short connection in SVO.Can make only IT-SVO with SU but not IT-SVO-LED.
Its possibly to book only Italy-SVO or Italy-LED separate with SU, but i think must be the a way to book MAD-IT-SVO-LED, anybody can help?
Which command i need to put to force it? I tried with code-share AZ flight numbers but have 0 results.

Last edited by raporot; Oct 20, 2019 at 9:29 am
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raporot
Hello, im trying to get MAD-ITALY-SVO-LED with Alitalia codeshare FOR IT-RU legs with SU, but cant force ITA to make SVO-LED flight, or atleast with short connection in SVO.Can make only IT-SVO with SU but not IT-SVO-LED.
Its possibly to book only Italy-SVO or Italy-LED separate with SU, but i think must be the a way to book MAD-IT-SVO-LED, anybody can help?
Try az az o:su (and o:su az az on the inbound).

If you start in MAD and limit yourself to az o:su, that limits it to one AZ flight and one flight operated by SU. For MAD-IT-SVO-LED, you need three flights, hence my suggestion.
raporot likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Try az az o:su (and o:su az az on the inbound).

If you start in MAD and limit yourself to az o:su, that limits it to one AZ flight and one flight operated by SU. For MAD-IT-SVO-LED, you need three flights, hence my suggestion.
Thanks, how to force ITA to find exactly these flights? i tried put flight Numbers, but didnt find anything, maybe you know how to manage these?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raporot
Thanks, how to force ITA to find exactly these flights? i tried put flight Numbers, but didnt find anything, maybe you know how to manage these?
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...fd8a607593.jpg
For 27 October? In business class? Switch off the availability checker.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:08 pm

I've just begun using ITA Software from someone's suggestion. I reach United 1K by segments, not miles. Is there a way to search for maximum segments?

I've tried entering all US airport codes (https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=45539) in the destination field, but only get maximum one stop out of CLL. My local airport is IAH, a United hub.

I also put together the following fare codes if anyone wants to use them. It's everything that isn't business class or Basic Economy (N).

F BC=O|BC=A|BC=R|BC=Y|BC=B|BC=M|BC=E|BC=U|BC=H|BC=Q| BC=V|BC=W|BC=S|BC=T|BC=L|BC=K|BC=G

EDIT - learned a few things, I've added UA UA UA to my search. I know there is the following:
  • CLL - IAH
  • IAH - IAD
  • IAD - BUF
  • BUF - IAD
  • IAD - IAH
  • IAH - CLL
Nov. 12 and Nov 13. But I can't seem to find it using ITA Software and all airport codes. When using all airport codes do certain flights get filtered out for one reason or another? If I specifically enter BUF as the destination it shows up perfectly.

My objective it to find the lowest priced round trip out of CLL with the most stops. My concern is not all flights are showing in the search results.

Last edited by pecck; Oct 21, 2019 at 8:07 pm
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:21 pm

easier this way F ~bc=b|j|etc

(or whatever basic economy is for that airline)

Originally Posted by pecck
I've just begun using ITA Software from someone's suggestion. I reach United 1K by segments, not miles. Is there a way to search for maximum segments?

I've tried entering all US airport codes (https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=45539) in the destination field, but only get maximum one stop out of CLL. My local airport is IAH, a United hub.

I also put together the following fare codes if anyone wants to use them. It's everything that isn't business class or Basic Economy (N).

F BC=O|BC=A|BC=R|BC=Y|BC=B|BC=M|BC=E|BC=U|BC=H|BC=Q| BC=V|BC=W|BC=S|BC=T|BC=L|BC=K|BC=G

EDIT - learned a few things, I've added UA UA UA to my search. I know there is the following:
  • CLL - IAH
  • IAH - IAD
  • IAD - BUF
  • BUF - IAD
  • IAD - IAH
  • IAH - CLL
Nov. 12 and Nov 13. But I can't seem to find it using ITA Software and all airport codes. When using all airport codes do certain flights get filtered out for one reason or another? If I specifically enter BUF as the destination it shows up perfectly.

My objective it to find the lowest priced round trip out of CLL with the most stops. My concern is not all flights are showing in the search results.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Anyone else have issues using ITA over the past few days? All my searches on several different laptops/browsers/searches have yielded and internal error message.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
No issues at all. Might be something specific to your searches?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:53 pm

Same issue here, all searches result in an internal error message over the past two days. Any ideas?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Website now has this message:

"Internal Error" Bug Fixed
As of today, 2019-11-12, the recent "Internal Error" bug has been fixed for all known cases. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Searches have been working normally for me.

Originally Posted by Arctric
Same issue here, all searches result in an internal error message over the past two days. Any ideas?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Hello! Is it possible to fix the cabin mapping for MU Q and P fares?

Q - business - shows as economy.
P - premium economy (shows as first).
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by pecck
[...]
Easy answer, ITA (same as any search tool / website), has a timeout, meaning after a certain amount of time the results are presented, no matter if the search is done or not.
Otherwise you could just enter: Origin: NYC, destination: all airport codes worldwide, hit start and find the cheapest airfare there is.
It would take several days to find them all and lots of IT cost for ITA.

ITA is actually doing very well when it comes to time outs, I can tell you from my side, who uses Amadues and Sabre every day, that their time outs are much worse!
When you use Amadeus Master Pricer (AMAs tool to find the cheapest price for a given route+date) many times it doesnt find the cheapest because it returns results before it was able to search for that airline in the background. Example from yesterday: AMA MP did not show any fares with SK, even thou there were the cheapest airline.
Once I specified airline=SK it was suddenly able to find the lower fare.
And for product I'm paying for each request.

ITA is completely free and provides much better results
When you don't receive the result you wish to see, you need to "limit" the search with more categories to make sure ITA "has more time" to find the right one.
i.e. limiting by carrier, (UA+), 1 specifc date (no +-1), limiting by fare class, ... the more the better
veeRob and Calchas like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:48 am

You cant use "f bc=w e t"
right format is: f BC=W | BC=E | BC=T
Also keep in mind when splitting a journey on ITA segment by segment you force ITA to ignore the marrried segment logic, so ITA shows you an itinerary that is possibly not bookable (saw this many times)
But if you let us know the dates I can easily check what is possible and what not (also in GDS)

Originally Posted by bdsklar
Having an issue and challenge - know how to use ITA but having an issue with fare codes, trying to mix Y with PE on AA and BA.

Example:
set preference to cheapest fare

jfk-lhr on AA,
lhr-jnb on BA, f bc=w e t
jnb-lhr ba, f bc=w e t
lhr-jfk on aa

have tried using +cabin 3 for AA an d+cabin premium-coach for BA on the multi-city setup, but all flights show up as PE.

Only able to pull up ALL coach, or ALL PE fares, not mixed fares....can anyone help as to why this happens

all fares come up as in PE, not mixed coach and PE

Thanks for the help
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:02 am

Not showing connecting flights

Long time lurking user, but the last two days, itamatrix has only been showing non-stop flights - and only showing connecting when I force a connection. Does anyone know what's going on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.