ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2023, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by jbar91
yes. Appreciate transparent communication on the outage, but desperately need transparency on if/when (even an estimate) it will be restored.
agreed, I set my account to not renew, this may be the end of EF

Originally Posted by bj27
Just received the email below.

Does anyone feel like the value of ExpertFlyer has decreased considerably over the past few years?

I can't remember specifics, but I feel like it's gotten almost to the point of useless, and it's relatively expensive given all of the limited data and data availability issues. Not to mention that the UI / UX is terrible and hasn't been updated in forever. Setting seat alerts is such a tedious process.
Agreed, also sometimes it is hours after space opens up that I get award notifications
jbar91 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Person behind this handle stepped away from FlyerTalk this past spring.
Yes I did, however I'll try to answer some questions, but as a civilian not officially with EF anymore. The opinions expressed here are my own, etc etc etc.

Originally Posted by 747FC
do the changes announced in your recent email also affect seat alerts, plane change alerts, and schedule alerts?
As per the email that was sent to subs, this looks to affect just searching for award/upgrade class codes and alerts for those award class codes for the affected airlines.

Originally Posted by Fly2Connect
Looks like the end of EF being useful to me. Any chance they do pro rated refunds? I just paid for another year a month or two ago.
Email [email protected] to ask them. I think EF still has it's uses, but any subscription decision you make should be based on its current state and not holding out hope for the return of lost data.

Originally Posted by SkyExplorerYYZ
Yes, fair enough. R space for AirCanada is still available on EF. However, EF just confirmed that AC (and many other airlines) have been pulled from the "Awards and Upgrades" page. To your point, they are still available in the "Flight Availability" page.
Correct, basically anything that wasn't an O/I/X award class would still be available in the Flight Availability search and therefore still alertable.
747FC likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:42 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by bj27
Just received the email below.

Does anyone feel like the value of ExpertFlyer has decreased considerably over the past few years?

I can't remember specifics, but I feel like it's gotten almost to the point of useless, and it's relatively expensive given all of the limited data and data availability issues. Not to mention that the UI / UX is terrible and hasn't been updated in forever. Setting seat alerts is such a tedious process.
That’s not the use we make of EF over here (our programs aren’t covered), but YMMV.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:58 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by lopinc1
Yes I did, however I'll try to answer some questions, but as a civilian not officially with EF anymore. The opinions expressed here are my own, etc etc etc.

As per the email that was sent to subs, this looks to affect just searching for award/upgrade class codes and alerts for those award class codes for the affected airlines.

Email [email protected] to ask them. I think EF still has it's uses, but any subscription decision you make should be based on its current state and not holding out hope for the return of lost data.

Correct, basically anything that wasn't an O/I/X award class would still be available in the Flight Availability search and therefore still alertable.
Thanks for responding. Good luck in your civilian world.
pandaperth likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 4:33 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
This is a huge blow. Also kind of weak of EF to not send the email to everyone. I did not have an alert set up for any of the listed airlines today (But may be wanting to do that tomorrow..) and therefore I have not received the email as a paying subscriber. Though this does reflect the way EF has been handling customer interactions (i.e. generally quite bad customer service) so perhaps I should not be surprised.

An interesting one absent from the list is Aegean. It sounds like they are getting A3 I/X class inventory from elsewhere. Or was this just 'forgotten' to be included on the list of affected airlines...

I have a whole bunch of A3 alerts set up as I travel with them often. At the moment an inventory search still shows I/X class availability for A3 flights. Is that no longer the case for affected airlines (ie. all I/X inventory has been zeroed out), or is phantom availability being returned currently?
Markie and HofstraJet like this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 5:56 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
EF still has some uses but if you take out almost all of *A not to mention that many OW airlines are gone as well, then the value has decreased materially and the price has not. I am out.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 6:26 am

ExpertFlyer needs to he more transparent and explain in detail how it used to have access of award availability for Star Alliance airlines (web scraping ? API access ?) and how it lost it
pdeut likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Didn't fully cancel account but did cancel auto-renewal (which is due in about a month).

Why?

1) Flying less
2) I've noticed I haven't used it more than once or twice in the last year
3) More flexible now and am using other tools for flight alerts (award and cheap J tix)
Old Oct 7, 2023, 10:00 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Post discussing the suspected sources of data that ExpertFlyer and other award search tools use to display award availability were moved to a new thread:Please continue the discussion of suspected data scraping and API use in that thread.

Thank you,

TWA884
Moderator, Travel Tools
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 7, 2023 at 10:12 am Reason: Update link
Old Oct 8, 2023, 2:34 am

Programs: EK Plat
Expertflyer alternatives

Reminds me of this thread... EF's attitude was interesting to say the least. And EK award functionality never returned.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 3:56 pm

Are there any other services that offer what EF used to or do they all work the same way ie data scraping ?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Originally Posted by N104UA
Agreed, also sometimes it is hours after space opens up that I get award notifications
I have also noticed this, along with seat alerts, too. A recent example: I had a seat alert on the seat I already had. When I moved myself from that seat, the seat alert did not trigger for another SIX HOURS! (That's not an isolated example... none of the alerts are as reliable as they once were.)
N104UA likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 1:39 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
FWIW they gave me a pro rated refund on my annual subscription following these changes. No pushback. Pleased with their customers service.
IMH likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by wylek
I have also noticed this, along with seat alerts, too. A recent example: I had a seat alert on the seat I already had. When I moved myself from that seat, the seat alert did not trigger for another SIX HOURS! (That's not an isolated example... none of the alerts are as reliable as they once were.)
agreed when I first signed up it was within minutes that I got alerts but not anymore
Old Oct 10, 2023, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Fly2Connect
FWIW they gave me a pro rated refund on my annual subscription following these changes. No pushback. Pleased with their customers service.
same here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.