ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:39 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by luv2vacay
Is there a way to create a seat alert so that if say, 2 First Class seats become available, I get an alert?
I see you can do "any 2 seats together" but what if you just want any 2 seats?

Thanks!
If you are referring to ticket/award ticket inventory alerting then that is a Flight Alert, not a Seat Alert.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Alvador
I'd be interested in the experience of any other FT members who've regularly searched for BA award availability on EF. Have you been able to get reliable accurate results?
I have also found the EF results concerning BA awards to be accurate.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BA bronze
BA award availability on EF

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes for BA mainline (although there was a specific issue a week or so ago: Expert Flyer - Rewards Search Not Working?).
No for flights operated by CJ or MN. IIRC I think that there have been times when EF worked for CJ and MN operated flights, but I think it's been a while since I've seen that. I've learned to live with it.
Originally Posted by IMH
With the same caveats as Globaliser, the answer has almost always been yes.
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I have also found the EF results concerning BA awards to be accurate.
Thanks, that's reassuring. Though the problem with business class award availability not being shown for the London-Edinburgh routes still seems to be present.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
If you are referring to ticket/award ticket inventory alerting then that is a Flight Alert, not a Seat Alert.
Thanks! Sorry, I was inquiring for paid seat, not award ticket.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Is there a way to create a seat alert so that if say, 2 First Class seats become available, I get an alert? I see you can do "any 2 seats together" but what if you just want any 2 seats?
Thanks! Sorry, I was inquiring for paid seat, not award ticket.
Do you mean physical seat allocations on the aircraft, such as seat 1A?

If so, are you looking at a flight on which there is only one seat available in the cabin to allocate? Otherwise, by definition there are already at least two seats available so no alert can be set for that condition.

If there is only one seat available in the cabin, and you want to an alert for whenever a second seat becomes available, then one way is simply to set one seat alert for every unavailable seat in the cabin. You'll get alerted the first time that any of them becomes available. If the originally-available seat has not become unavailable in the meantime, the effect of the notification is that there are two seats available because a second seat has come free. This is not perfect because the originally-available seat may have become unavailable in the interim, but this might go some way towards doing what you want.
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:55 am

Do you mean physical seat allocations on the aircraft, such as seat 1A?

If so, are you looking at a flight on which there is only one seat available in the cabin to allocate? Otherwise, by definition there are already at least two seats available so no alert can be set for that condition.

If there is only one seat available in the cabin, and you want to an alert for whenever a second seat becomes available, then one way is simply to set one seat alert for every unavailable seat in the cabin. You'll get alerted the first time that any of them becomes available. If the originally-available seat has not become unavailable in the meantime, the effect of the notification is that there are two seats available because a second seat has come free. This is not perfect because the originally-available seat may have become unavailable in the interim, but this might go some way towards doing what you want.
So the First cabin is currently "no available". I'd like to set an alert if any 2 seats become available (I know, slim to none chances). But I do see your other option there that may work, and just see what happens.

Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
So the First cabin is currently "no available".
Are you actually seeing a seat map, and is that showing every seat as unavailable? If there is no seat map and you just have a red message of some kind, then off the top of my head I'm not sure that you can set an alert anyway.

The other to check, if you're not seeing a seat map of any kind for that cabin, is whether that flight is actually planned to operate with a first class cabin.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:18 am

Are you actually seeing a seat map, and is that showing every seat as unavailable? If there is no seat map and you just have a red message of some kind, then off the top of my head I'm not sure that you can set an alert anyway.

The other to check, if you're not seeing a seat map of any kind for that cabin, is whether that flight is actually planned to operate with a first class cabin.
Yes, sorry. Seat map on both United (shows occupied/unavailable) and expertflyer (shows all occupied) basically seem to show the same info.
UA flight 501 ORD to DEN on 8/30/19 (again I know a snowball's chance in you-know-where of any seats becoming available).
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:06 am

I set up a flight schedule change alert and received EF notice this morning. Per the EF alert, my flight LAX-MIA leaves an hour earlier, but still arrives at same time. That seemed odd. Checked the AA app and website, and they show no changes. I'm going to call AA and verify, but for now, this seems like a false alert or else EF is an outstanding resource and well ahead of AA.com
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:20 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by cheaptom
I set up a flight schedule change alert and received EF notice this morning. Per the EF alert, my flight LAX-MIA leaves an hour earlier, but still arrives at same time. That seemed odd. Checked the AA app and website, and they show no changes. I'm going to call AA and verify, but for now, this seems like a false alert or else EF is an outstanding resource and well ahead of AA.com
The schedule change alert is based on the Flight Details results which in turn come from the schedule the airline publishes in the GDS. If you need further help please email us the details.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:16 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
An EF related topic has come up in the Qantas forum, please see here for details:

What would make the seat map unavailable?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I cannot put into words how many seat map errors I get for AA.

Does anyone else have the same issue?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:06 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I cannot put into words how many seat map errors I get for AA.
Given the importance of words in facilitating communication here, that's unfortunate. You really haven't given us enough for anyone to know if they're experiencing "the same issue".

What is the nature of the error(s)?

Is this a new problem, or something that's been going on for weeks or months?

Does every attempt to view any AA seat map fail or only for particular aircraft types, cabin classes, routes, operating dates...?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by IMH
Given the importance of words in facilitating communication here, that's unfortunate. You really haven't given us enough for anyone to know if they're experiencing "the same issue".

What is the nature of the error(s)?

Is this a new problem, or something that's been going on for weeks or months?

Does every attempt to view any AA seat map fail or only for particular aircraft types, cabin classes, routes, operating dates...?
Here's the error I get after requesting the seat map from the button after doing a flight availability search: The requested information could not be retrieved or is not available. This is likely due to invalid input criteria or lack of access to the information from the airline. Please revise the search parameters and try again.

I cannot figure out a rhyme or reason as to what makes the error occur. I'd say it's been happening quite frequently for the last week or so. Usually if I resubmit the query enough times it will work. Other times I get part of the flight (i.e. missing one more cabins).
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:23 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Here's the error I get after requesting the seat map from the button after doing a flight availability search: The requested information could not be retrieved or is not available. This is likely due to invalid input criteria or lack of access to the information from the airline. Please revise the search parameters and try again.

I cannot figure out a rhyme or reason as to what makes the error occur. I'd say it's been happening quite frequently for the last week or so. Usually if I resubmit the query enough times it will work. Other times I get part of the flight (i.e. missing one more cabins).
If you're not going to post the flight specifics here you should email us direct at [email protected] so we can see for ourselves what the underlying error we are getting back from the reservation system is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.