ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:58 pm

Is Avianca availability showing the life miles accessible ones? Lim-gru showing space in I next March but unable to pull it up on Aeroplan at all, lim-gru alone or lim-gru-jnb (got some married segments to show up that way, but not this particular flight)
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:29 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by crimsona
Is Avianca availability showing the life miles accessible ones? Lim-gru showing space in I next March but unable to pull it up on Aeroplan at all, lim-gru alone or lim-gru-jnb (got some married segments to show up that way, but not this particular flight)
Avianca is showing at partner level inventory on EF. Aeroplan is known to adjust the results that partners publish.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
@ExpertFlyer Voice,

In the onewo
rld forum, there has been a report that the ow Explore Fares (e.g. xONEx) have gone up, days ago.
Checking on ExpertFlyer today, no fare changes at all (same fares as months ago).
Can you explain? Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:01 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by allset2travel
@ExpertFlyer Voice,

In the onewo
rld forum, there has been a report that the ow Explore Fares (e.g. xONEx) have gone up, days ago.
Checking on ExpertFlyer today, no fare changes at all (same fares as months ago).
Can you explain? Thanks.
It's not clear what you want us to explain, the fares published are what we show. You should ask whoever posted that in the OW forum the specific EF search they did and to double check again.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:10 am

Quick question re: flight availability results
Looking to book a ticket on AC. AC uses origin-destination ticketing and doing an O-D search, EF seems to show booking class P available while AC's website for booking tickets shows Z as the lowest available.
Is there any way that this could be explained and how I could go about ticketing in P? I thought EF could handle O-D ticketing rules and shows real-time availability, so I'm not really sure how to explain this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:12 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by hydrogen
Quick question re: flight availability results
Looking to book a ticket on AC. AC uses origin-destination ticketing and doing an O-D search, EF seems to show booking class P available while AC's website for booking tickets shows Z as the lowest available.
Is there any way that this could be explained and how I could go about ticketing in P? I thought EF could handle O-D ticketing rules and shows real-time availability, so I'm not really sure how to explain this.
It's not clear what you mean as you haven't given an example. If you are referring to married segments then you have to search for the entire itinerary, not just one segment, to get the correct results. Also are you sure there is a valid P fare for the route you are trying to book?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
It's not clear what you mean as you haven't given an example. If you are referring to married segments then you have to search for the entire itinerary, not just one segment, to get the correct results. Also are you sure there is a valid P fare for the route you are trying to book?
Some back story to this: ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

A search also throws up this: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...l#post31191052

But as I too said in the other thread: without details, it's hard to suggest any ideas in the abstract. The only thing that immediately comes to mind if hydrogen really is searching the entire itinerary rather than sector-by-sector is that there may be a difference between POS.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Some back story to this: ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

A search also throws up this: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...l#post31191052

But as I too said in the other thread: without details, it's hard to suggest any ideas in the abstract. The only thing that immediately comes to mind if hydrogen really is searching the entire itinerary rather than sector-by-sector is that there may be a difference between POS.
Sure, let me post an example:

Outbound shows Z available on EF - and I can access Z.
Return shows Z6 P2 available on EF - AC website can only access D. Matrix says there is a valid Z fare on the return.

So who do I trust?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A partial answer:

On the AC website, I can see itineraries priced using Z out Z back if you fly AC295/AC29 out and AC30/AC296 back. This accords with the ITA screenshot you've posted.

If I price AC295/AC29 out and AC30/AC292 back, ITA returns Z out D back, matching the AC website.

What I don't know is why EF will show Z class available on AC30/AC292 but AC will not book it. As it doesn't seem to be a POS problem (I've tried a few), then my next guess (looking at the numbers) would be that it might be some sort of DIF issue. ITA doesn't always handle DIFs in the way that the airline will sell them.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:25 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

A partial answer:

On the AC website, I can see itineraries priced using Z out Z back if you fly AC295/AC29 out and AC30/AC296 back. This accords with the ITA screenshot you've posted.

If I price AC295/AC29 out and AC30/AC292 back, ITA returns Z out D back, matching the AC website.

What I don't know is why EF will show Z class available on AC30/AC292 but AC will not book it. As it doesn't seem to be a POS problem (I've tried a few), then my next guess (looking at the numbers) would be that it might be some sort of DIF issue. ITA doesn't always handle DIFs in the way that the airline will sell them.
ExpertFlyer is not building or pricing itineraries. The "return" availability is just the initial search with the airports swapped and a different date in the availability search. If AC and ITA don't even match, then it's not clear what you are looking EF to match.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:47 pm

Exactly this is my question - how do I go about accessing P/Z on AC30/292 since availability is there as per EF.

ExpertFlyer is not building or pricing itineraries. The "return" availability is just the initial search with the airports swapped and a different date in the availability search. If AC and ITA don't even match, then it's not clear what you are looking EF to match.
I’ve usually used ITA to price itineraries. But since ITA can not properly handle O-D ticketing, it’s pretty much useless at finding bookable tickets at it’s posted price since availability is not correct. If EF shows proper availability, why can I not access AC30/292 in P or Z class - as per the ITA screenshot, there is clearly a valid Z fare at the least.

So my million dollar question is: is the failure to access P/Z class because EF is showing wrong information or because AC’s booking engine has some sort of flaw in accessing P/Z?

Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hydrogen
If EF shows proper availability, why can I not access AC30/292 in P or Z class - as per the ITA screenshot, there is clearly a valid Z fare at the least.
I don't think that you can necessarily take that for granted. There is a valid Z fare for the other flight combination. But there may be some reason why it isn't valid for the combination that you'd like - flight restrictions, DIF considerations etc. It's not necessarily the case that a fare either is or isn't valid for all flights on a particular day. Nor is it necessarily the case that if you can see seats in a particular booking class, they are bookable using the fare that you'd like to use.

At any rate, as I said above, when I looked yesterday ITA pricing was actually accurately matching AC pricing on those two sets of inbound flights, so your primary sources are not being misleading.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Why is EF showing Seats Blocked?

I checked UA 362 for 7/31. EF shows 8 F seats blocked, while UA shows them open and available for booking.

What's up?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:38 pm

I don't think that you can necessarily take that for granted. There is a valid Z fare for the other flight combination. But there may be some reason why it isn't valid for the combination that you'd like - flight restrictions, DIF considerations etc. It's not necessarily the case that a fare either is or isn't valid for all flights on a particular day. Nor is it necessarily the case that if you can see seats in a particular booking class, they are bookable using the fare that you'd like to use.

At any rate, as I said above, when I looked yesterday ITA pricing was actually accurately matching AC pricing on those two sets of inbound flights, so your primary sources are not being misleading.
Maybe I should dig up more example screenshots in the meantime. ITA has given me routings with 2h and 6h layover options at YVR for the same price, but AC prices the 2h layover at a premium over the 6h one. So clearly something is wonky there. Either ITA is wrong or AC is not offering the best possible price - it doesn't seem that both could be offering the best fare. But I guess until I dig up a screenshot, nobody will believe me.

BTW - what is DIF?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:04 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by 747FC
I checked UA 362 for 7/31. EF shows 8 F seats blocked, while UA shows them open and available for booking.

What's up?
Seat Maps have nothing to do with ticket inventory. "Blocked" means that physical seat is blocked from being assigned, it doesn't mean that there is a seat blocked from being sold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.