Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance/Oneworld Award Planning with Award Nexus

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LifeInCMH
Peter,

Thanks to your website I was able to confirm and book an award seat on LH. Truely appreciate your help to the FT community here!

Somehow, either the search engine is quirky or I am doing something wrong . When I search for FRA-NRT (28/29 May) with "First+Business", the engine does not show any LH710 flights shown to be available on United.com Just wondering if these are phantom seats or are the search criterion incorrect? I thought phantom seats on United was a thing of the past.

Thanks again.
Sure! Glad to have helped you booked an award ticket.

For your question, can you clarify? This is one of your searches from a few hours for FRA-NRT:

https://awardnexus.com/collage/view/...b3354461b005f5

It shows that you were able to find LH710 on Award Nexus using the Star Alliance (ANA) airline site. The same seats are also, at this moment, showing on United's web site.

I haven't heard definitively either way on the phantom LH award issue, but I am of the understanding that it has not been resolved.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Just wanted to send a thank you for your site. Despite the fact that I have been travelling a lot for 15 years and collected a lot of miles (millions), this was the first time I did a proper award booking. I have always used my miles over the years for upgrading, because I used to travel in economy before. Anyways, now I needed to get tickets to go to a wedding in LA, so the dates are pretty firm and I wanted to fly in F, so I wasn't too optimistic, but thanks to your tool and some others I managed to score me this itinarary eventually:

ARN-AMS-IAD-LAX
DFW-IAD-AMS-ARN

All in F except the ARN legs. So once again, a big thanks, it's an excellent site you have.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by johhenrik
Just wanted to send a thank you for your site. Despite the fact that I have been travelling a lot for 15 years and collected a lot of miles (millions), this was the first time I did a proper award booking. I have always used my miles over the years for upgrading, because I used to travel in economy before. Anyways, now I needed to get tickets to go to a wedding in LA, so the dates are pretty firm and I wanted to fly in F, so I wasn't too optimistic, but thanks to your tool and some others I managed to score me this itinarary eventually:

ARN-AMS-IAD-LAX
DFW-IAD-AMS-ARN

All in F except the ARN legs. So once again, a big thanks, it's an excellent site you have.
That's very good. I'm just feeling a little disappointed that Lifemiles now require more miles for some of their awards.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johhenrik

ARN-AMS-IAD-LAX
DFW-IAD-AMS-ARN

johhenrik, great to know that you got your award booked with the help of Award Nexus!

It looks like a great trip. Enjoy your flights in F!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: WN CP; AMEX MR, US, DL
Peter or anyone else:

Is there a way to limit search results by the points required? I am interested in setting up an automated search for a Delta flight between the US and Europe. I know that there are seats available in both Economy and Business. What I want to monitor is the availability of low tier Economy and Business class seats.

Also, I am looking to book 4 seats. On Delta's site, one needs to seach separately for 1, 2, 3, and 4 award seats to determine the maximum number of seats available at the lowest available award tier. With a premium membership, will Award Nexus tell me there are 2 seats available at Economy-Low and 2 seats available at Economy-Medium? Or, will it follow Delta's results showing all 4 award seats at Economy-Medium?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaisersrsic
Peter or anyone else:

Is there a way to limit search results by the points required? I am interested in setting up an automated search for a Delta flight between the US and Europe. I know that there are seats available in both Economy and Business. What I want to monitor is the availability of low tier Economy and Business class seats.

Also, I am looking to book 4 seats. On Delta's site, one needs to seach separately for 1, 2, 3, and 4 award seats to determine the maximum number of seats available at the lowest available award tier. With a premium membership, will Award Nexus tell me there are 2 seats available at Economy-Low and 2 seats available at Economy-Medium? Or, will it follow Delta's results showing all 4 award seats at Economy-Medium?
Yes, you can filter by mileage level. There are two ways to do it: 1) There is a "Mileage" tab on top that you can use to quickly see which dates have low level awards, 2) You can use Quick Select box and specify a price like this: "price 30K" will show awards that are priced 30K miles or below.

As for determining partial availability, Award Nexus cannot automatically determine how many 1,2,3,4 seats may be in low level, but if I were you, I will start a search at 2 and increase it to 4.

It is just a one-click change to start a new search with Award Nexus, so it should be very quick.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:18 pm

I love AwardNexus! Thanks so much for building it--it has helped me immensely!

In the last few days my searches from LON now default to LHR. It's a pain to have to search for all of the London airports separately (and it costs ways more points). Is it possible to keep the major city searches under one 3-letter code?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by giblet
I love AwardNexus! Thanks so much for building it--it has helped me immensely!

In the last few days my searches from LON now default to LHR. It's a pain to have to search for all of the London airports separately (and it costs ways more points). Is it possible to keep the major city searches under one 3-letter code?
giblet, glad to hear that you found Award Nexus so useful!

The defaulting of LON to LHR is site-dependent. If the underlying airline site supports the use of city code, then Award Nexus sends the city code as is. Otherwise, it sends the biggest airport for that metro area. There is not a way to force those unsupporting airline sites to search all the area airports within a single search.

I hope this explanation helps.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter
The defaulting of LON to LHR is site-dependent. If the underlying airline site supports the use of city code, then Award Nexus sends the city code as is. Otherwise, it sends the biggest airport for that metro area. There is not a way to force those unsupporting airline sites to search all the area airports within a single search.

I hope this explanation helps.
Thanks, this makes perfect sense. Previously I had searched using OW-BA but for this most recent search, I added SA-UA to the mix which must have forced me to choose a specific airport.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:23 pm

I'm trying to find a ticket in biz from LON-PNH between July 9th and July 16th using AA miles. Can I assume that if I do a regular Award Nexus search it will come up with any possibilities? Or should I be searching in some other way, like piece by piece? I'm happy to do loads of connections if necessary but am not sure if I am using AwardNexus to its fullest.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k
New to tool, hung up on screen

Paid up
Did search
Shows up under "Seach History" with 7 flights
But screen hangs up with:

If this page appears for more than 20 seconds, please refresh it.

The advanced award viewer does not work in Internet Explorer 7 or lower. If you are using an old version of Internet Explorer on your workplace computer, please download Google Chrome to view this page.

I have IE 9 on this computer.

What do I do? Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Fixed that

Must have been work computer or the like, could see it on my iPad.

But funny, I ran a request for 2 seats ORD to CDG, C or F, and got some C. But when I ran a request for 1 seat, to see if there was any F, got nothing.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by giblet
I'm trying to find a ticket in biz from LON-PNH between July 9th and July 16th using AA miles. Can I assume that if I do a regular Award Nexus search it will come up with any possibilities? Or should I be searching in some other way, like piece by piece? I'm happy to do loads of connections if necessary but am not sure if I am using AwardNexus to its fullest.
A search normally covers some parts of the possibilities, but there are definitely additional flights that you may be able to find, if you search segment by segment.

Check out the Guide to Effective Award Searches:

https://awardnexus.com/page/guide

Generally, my recommendation (also detailed in the guide above) is 1) Do a quick Origin-Destination search, selecting all applicable airline sites, 2) If failed, start doing segment-by-segment searches, focusing on the major trunk routes.

Give it a try.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by latimeriv
Paid up
Did search
Shows up under "Seach History" with 7 flights
But screen hangs up with:

If this page appears for more than 20 seconds, please refresh it.

The advanced award viewer does not work in Internet Explorer 7 or lower. If you are using an old version of Internet Explorer on your workplace computer, please download Google Chrome to view this page.

I have IE 9 on this computer.

What do I do? Thanks
Welcome! I am glad to have you as a premium member.

Occasionally the page may be stuck. Try refreshing the page manually and see if it works. IE9 is normally supported without issue.

Originally Posted by latimeriv
Must have been work computer or the like, could see it on my iPad.

But funny, I ran a request for 2 seats ORD to CDG, C or F, and got some C. But when I ran a request for 1 seat, to see if there was any F, got nothing.
Good to know that you got it to work.

I checked out your search history. Looks like your first search was for June 22 + 1 day, and you found some C seats for June 23. The next few searches were for June 22 only, which would explain why you didn't see any seats (since June 23 would not be covered).

Let me know if you have more question.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Is there a way to get a nice printable version of the search results? When I try to print, it cuts of the table. I have tried it in landscape, scaling down the print size, selecting only the table text, etc and it always cuts it off (usually halfway through the "Stop" column).

Also would love to be able to export the results to a csv file if that's do-able.

Edit:
looks like straight copy and pasting the table into excel works, and puts all the info into individual cells.

Last edited by roknroll; Jun 26, 2013 at 11:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.