Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by exquisitered
Just got an iPhone for Christmas so this thread is helpful! Can't wait to try out the Google voice search! And I'm already loving Pandora!

One that I don't think I saw mentioned that I am trying out is ESPN ScoreCenter...'cause it's free. Does anyone have any app they like better for checking sports scores? Fortunately for me, I'd just be checking NFL, MLB, NBA...though this has lots of other sports teams (like NHL, NCAA football & basketball, WNBA, soccer, even rugby!) you can add as well.
Also check for the program "ScoreMobile" - also free, good for checking scores!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
My favorite aftermarket apps include (in alphabetical order):
Convertbot
Dragon Dictation
ESPN ScoreCenter
Google
Instapaper
Kayak 1st
MLB At Bat
New York Times
Pandora
Red Laser
Slacker
WiFi Track
XE Currency
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Also check for the program "ScoreMobile" - also free, good for checking scores!
Thx! Downloading it right now. I did also get MLB At Bat...though obviously can't really use that a ton for a couple of months or so. MLB is my favorite so I figured I'd give it a go.

Just got Words with Friends too! I'm afraid I'll get too addicted if I get that ATC game everyone's been talking about in here
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:07 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Cartopia

If you are in the market for a used car, this free app is interesting -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LeACYF_-y0
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:45 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Wine Vintage Chart / Guide

Can anyone recommend a good Wine Guide app? I have the Wine Spectator Vintage Chart in my wallet, but thought that an app might be really useful for business dinners. There are a number of them available in the App Store, and I'm willing to purchase one, but would appreciate some suggestions.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by rofra
London? or is there another TFL? :-)
If you're looking for a London public transport app, Malcolm Barclay made some really great apps: Tube Deluxe and London Bus.
^ +1 for Tube Deluxe. Which I use regularly when i go to London. There is also Tube Exits and TubeChanger, which give advice to allow you to know the tricks of a local!

I also regularly use iCarRadio Lite so I can get UK Radio 4 as there is no radio on the iphone, but i can also use it abroad using hotel wifi etc to get my fix!

I have LogMeIn which is great, and PdaNet (jb phone). Also Dropbox, and Shakespeare (the full works free) for travel reading.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
iVideoCamera for 99 cents!!!

It brings full video recording functionality to 3G and 2G iPhones. I never heard of it until I looked at the top 25 paid apps list and it was sitting at #1. I guess it recently came out with an update that has improved the frame rate to where it is pretty good on the low quality setting.

I just shot a couple videos on LQ and you can add it to camera roll, send it to various social networking sites, email it or wifi transfer it to your computer. No MMS capabilities - hopefully that can be addressed in the next update.

Here is a good review of it: http://www.technewsworld.com/story/6...wlc=1263530044

Make sure to buy through your favorite shopping site. UA gives 2 miles per iTunes $, AA gives 3 miles, etc. etc. Good way to extend miles in a lesser-used FF account.

Last edited by CApreppie; Jan 14, 2010 at 9:36 pm
Old Jan 17, 2010, 2:51 pm

Just found a cool one. Airside Express. Looks like a free beta. It gives you 1-touch check-in and 1-touch paperless boarding pass recall.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
I
So just downloaded Evernote, which is free for the app., free Mac/Windows clients, free web account (they have premium accounts which let you store and do more).

Evernote let's you put in checkboxes, which you can touch in the iPhone to check or uncheck. But the formatting doesn't look that great, it just looks like a text documents with checkboxes, whereas when I copied and pasted in the spreadsheet into an Evernote note, it looked like a nice table/spreadsheet. As soon as it was saved, it looked like plain text both on the web and on the iPhone. Premium account promises to handle spreadsheets better but not interested in paying $5 a month for that (don't want to pay anything ).
*** EN is a general notes thing so it handles lists or to-do lists okay but probably not as well as some dedicated list apps. But the price and other features may make it worthwhile.
I have been disappointed with evernote. On the plus side, I was able to copy in notes from my Palm backup. On the minus side, I can't seem to edit any of the imported notes on my iPod Touch, which makes the Evernote somewhat useless as most of the notes are lists of various types that I would update on the road. I don't know if this glitch is fixed in the paid version but I'm not about to gamble.

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I have a paid Evernote account and use it some. But I use SpeedList for packing lists. It is great. It lets you have sublists (I have them for various packing tools such as Eagle Creek folders and pouches carrying things) and copy items or sublists from one list to another. It is really, really nice. I thoroughly recommend it.
For Speedlist, Can you import lists in text format and then edit on the iPhone?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Bar none, my favorite app is "Ratio" by Michael Ruhlman, the chef extraordinaire. It's pricey, but invaluable for people who love to cook without strict recipe's.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: One Pass
I will be heading to Japan in October... any recommendations on apps for getting around or is the map feature the best they have.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Proark
I will be heading to Japan in October... any recommendations on apps for getting around or is the map feature the best they have.
No specific suggestions per se though are you looking for something more like a guide to Tokyo's subways or a full on map of all Japan? Keep in mind that if you use the built in map you will end up paying the roaming rates for data which is not exactly cheap.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: One Pass
That was going to be my next question about the data roaming. I will probably pay for international usage for the month that I am visiting (figure it will be worth it for the 11 days I am there). As for what I am looking for exactly it would be something that helps me easily navigate the streets by walking and helping me find good local places to visit (the museums and tourist places I know about). When going on the public transportation I generally can get by (at least I hope the New Yorker in me hasn't been flushed completely out in Houston) but once I get off the train I find the map function on the iPhone to be great here in the states. Just didn't know if there was a good one for Japan that people found that highlighted good restaurants/bars/local spots that kind of thing.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:46 am

Google Voice

Back via the web browser
http://www.google.com/mobile/voice/
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dtsm
Back via the web browser
http://www.google.com/mobile/voice/
^

But VoiceCentral (still beta) looks much better - like a native app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.