Wiki Posts
Search

[archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Opera Mini, finally available for download on the iPhone today, is fantastic.
I just installed it, installed Opera on my Mac, imported all my bookmarks, and set up Opera Link. So now it will sync bookmarks the same was Safari already does with the iPhone, which was the one reason I was hesitant to try this.

If it improves browsing when I'm in "Edge-land" I'll keep using it.

Edited to add: The Opera Link doesn't appear to be working for me. None of my Opera bookmarks are showing up in Opera Mini.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've never used Opera. How is it better than Safari? I guess it can't really be worse.

But are there any drawbacks to using Opera on the iPhone?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by stimpy
I've never used Opera. How is it better than Safari? I guess it can't really be worse.

But are there any drawbacks to using Opera on the iPhone?
Just install it and try it, it's free.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but somehow Opera renders websites on its own servers, and then just shoots 90% compressed data to the iPhone. So far Opera Mini seems a lot faster than Safari. I also like the 9 graphic bookmarks on the opening page (customizable of course) which makes it very easy to visit my favorite sites with the iPhone. I'm still playing with it to figure out all the tricks, but as I noted it feels much faster than Safari.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just install it and try it, it's free.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but somehow Opera renders websites on its own servers, and then just shoots 90% compressed data to the iPhone. So far Opera Mini seems a lot faster than Safari. I also like the 9 graphic bookmarks on the opening page (customizable of course) which makes it very easy to visit my favorite sites with the iPhone. I'm still playing with it to figure out all the tricks, but as I noted it feels much faster than Safari.
It feels faster, yes, but there are two show stoppers for me right now:

(1) Speed dial doesn't sync via Opera Link
(2) Bookmarks don't sync via Opera Link

Also: Pinch-to-zoom doesn't work. It simply does a fixed (not gradual) zoom.

Once these things are fixed, I can use Opera like I already do (sometimes) at home.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichMSN
It feels faster, yes, but there are two show stoppers for me right now:

(1) Speed dial doesn't sync via Opera Link
(2) Bookmarks don't sync via Opera Link

Also: Pinch-to-zoom doesn't work. It simply does a fixed (not gradual) zoom.

Once these things are fixed, I can use Opera like I already do (sometimes) at home.
1 and 2 aren't issues for me, because I don't use Opera. Pinch to zoom would be nice, though the zoom works fine for me as it is.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1 and 2 aren't issues for me, because I don't use Opera. Pinch to zoom would be nice, though the zoom works fine for me as it is.
I only installed Opera because I wanted a way to sync my bookmarks with the Mini browser. I imported my Firefox bookmarks into Opera and set up Opera Link assuming it would work as advertised. It doesn't.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.0176/742; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

I wouldn't use Opera to view any confidential information or make a purchase as it would all be routed through their servers.

Grr I wonder why autocorrect doesn't work when replying here
Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:19 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Oh dear, the AutoTrader (UK) application that cost a fortune to develop has had most of its useful functionality removed at the request of the DVLA.

You used to be able to take a picture of a number plate (or enter the registration manually) and it would pull up details of the car, and allow you search for similar cars in your area.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by will5404
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.0176/742; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

I wouldn't use Opera to view any confidential information or make a purchase as it would all be routed through their servers.

Grr I wonder why autocorrect doesn't work when replying here
It also creates a single point of failure for working Internet.

Of course, for people who came from the BlackBerry world, this shouldn't warrant any extra concern, since on a BB, all data gets routed through RIM's servers...
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
one of the problems with opera and other server side optimization browsers is that often the servers, or your connection to them based on location gets hammered by users, or connectivity issues.

This was true on their launch day, when of course every fanboy was trying to connect.

the other issue/problem is that the HTTP request to a website looks like a regular browser request and not a MOBILE browser request.

Many many sites, especially travel sites and things like gmail, google, reader, banks (I wouldn't use a bank site on this browser really as noted above) have built a mobile optimized site that loads VERY quickly and offers much easier navigation.

But, with opera, the call looks to come from a regular browser profile and such, one cannot easily get to the companies mobile site (unless one knows the URL, like m.xys, or mobile.xyz or xyz.com/mobile, etc.)

On my iphone 3gs, i find it a toss up between safari and opera. On our 2G iphone, wham bam thank you maam, it really can make a difference
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I hate mobile sites so I found that very same feature to be a big plus.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
obviously,

Personally I hate mobile sites so I found that very same feature to be a big plus.
obviously, PERSONAL preference is a factor, I'm just saying - this is a difference between using opera and safari, which was stimpy's question.

:-)
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lallyr
Nope. Although I haven't tried searching in the last year or so. So something might have come up but I do remember reading somewhere that the iPhone for some reason was not compatible with delivery reports.

It was a over a year ago so can't tell you why but the article did explain it quite well.
Actually you can get delivery notifications on the iPhone, just not with the crummy Apple SMS client. BiteSMS is the best SMS app on the market, and a huge cost saver too. The only hitch is you have to jailbreak your iPhone to get Bite.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
Actually you can get delivery notifications on the iPhone, just not with the crummy Apple SMS client. BiteSMS is the best SMS app on the market, and a huge cost saver too. The only hitch is you have to jailbreak your iPhone to get Bite.
Where did get it from? I can't find it on the usual suspects.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lallyr
Where did get it from? I can't find it on the usual suspects.
Cydia. I've been using Bite for about 2 years now. I think I found out about it here in fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.