[archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Just Skype-to-Skype'd over pure 3G with mjm. I heard a tiny bit of digitalization every 10th or 12th word or so. 100% comprehension and a little "tinny" according to mjm.

So essentially we utilized our iPhones to circumvent our carriers international voice calling rates and airtime usage. Ya wonder why it's not free?

-Scho
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by schoflyer
So essentially we utilized our iPhones to circumvent our carriers international voice calling rates and airtime usage. Ya wonder why it's not free?
The problem with this statement is that AT&T has come out and said, with no holds barred, that they have zero problem with people doing this.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Nothing is being taken away, but there is not a single reason why, to Skype, a 3G data connection is any different than a wifi or VPN connection. Data is data. That's the whole basis behind the Internet (for now--net neutrality is under debate).

Unless there is some technical or contractual reason why calling over 3G costs Skype more (they have to route it through their servers to ensure QoS or they have, as guessed at above, signed an exclusivity contract with another carrier), this fee is not only nickel-and-diming but insulting, given that Skype is making money off of other people's donated bandwidth.
I see where you're coming from, but I'm not going to fight that battle. I'm just going to use what's out there to the best of my ability.

I'm look at this as more of a good or bad "tool" issue. I think it's going to be a great tool bundled with the new hardware and OS. I will eventually recoup my iPhone hardware upgrade costs with my savings on international calls. Additionally, I will be taking another step deeper in my virtual office and hopefully melding the 2 iPhone handsets I carry into 1 with a front facing videocam and a camera flash. Mainstream, efficient, compatible, convenient, cost effective ROI. Maybe not the cheapest solution but one I feel is well worth it for my application.

Every user's going to be different. It's opt-in.

-Scho
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:00 pm

The problem with this statement is that AT&T has come out and said, with no holds barred, that they have zero problem with people doing this.
OK so it might not be free for another reason, but the statement was accurate. Let's not get too far OT. I'm even wondering if the Skype chatter should be broken out of this sticky.

Cheers,

Scho
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Unless there is some technical or contractual reason why calling over 3G costs Skype more (they have to route it through their servers to ensure QoS or they have, as guessed at above, signed an exclusivity contract with another carrier),
As stated above, Skype on the iPhone is world-wide. It really has nothing to do with AT&T or Verizon. In fact Apples international revenues are growing much faster overseas and I think now exceeding the USA. So it absolutely has nothing to do with exclusivity which is illegal in many of the countries where the iPhone is sold.

My guess as I posted above has more to do with tax collection. Governments have been pushing to collect taxes on VoIP and maybe Skype is either giving in to the pressure or being forced to comply in certain countries.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:42 am

Going Paperless apps - Zinio and PressReader

I just posted a video demoing these two apps, as a follow-up to my earlier post about reading newspapers, magazines, books, periodicals and pdf's on the iPad - in an effort to make my life easier AND save trees!

Enjoy - http://nomadz.net/forum/content.php?...rs-and-pdfs%29
Old Jun 7, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
I use flightTrack pro for the push notifications and then Flight Update Pro for eveything else! If Flight Update would include push, It would be the best travel app, imo.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:28 am

Location: Usually on a ship looking for oil and gas; Uruguay, Malaysia, Turkey, Nigeria, Libya, Egypt, Norway, Scotland, India, Congo & Angola, next project who knows? Agreed to CC rules
Programs: AC Altitude E75K/*G, AS MVP, AF/KLM Petroleum Club, BA Blue
I use Pzizz Energizer on my iPhone and find it quite handy when I need a power nap, especially when I'm in the wrong time-zone (story of my life). I've previously used their full version software for windows, both the Energizer version (i.e. nap) and Sleep version. I've always found the nap version more useful to me than the sleep version, but YMMV.

The iPhone Pzizz Energizer app generates a 10-90 minute power nap soundtrack; it's a little hard to describe but it uses 3-d background music combined with soothing voice prompts lull you into a restful 'hypnotic' type nap. At the end of the pre-programmed time cycle it wakes you up. The full version ($9.99) is fully programmable and generates a slightly different narrative each time you use it. I think that the lite version ($0.99) only generates one fixed, but repeatable 60 minute nap.

I download the full version of the Energizer app, which I use regularily, but only download the lite version of the Sleep app, which I use much less regularly.

mpc1
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by turnpike17
I use flightTrack pro for the push notifications and then Flight Update Pro for eveything else! If Flight Update would include push, It would be the best travel app, imo.
I have been using FlightTrack Pro with TripIt on my iPhone and iPad. After every flight was changed due to delays going USA to EDI, I decided that more data were needed to make important decisions quickly.

I started thinking about TripIt Pro but some reviews in the DL forum make me think this might not help. So can you explain what Flight Update Pro does that is not provided by FlightTrack Pro? If it can tell me anything about the incoming flight especially for me first flight that would be an advantage. However, I suppose since one can link TripIt to Flight Update Pro that any changes to the schedule have to be made manually, right?

I also wish there was some way to know about the almost weekly changes to schedules and seats for my international trips. I go to the DL web almost every weekend, but if an ap had these data with push that would be the solution I seek.

Last edited by Xeno; Jun 10, 2010 at 8:02 am
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:15 pm

Check out this Timezone HTML5 site on your iPad.
Can add it to your home screen via link at the top of the page.
Doesn't work well on iPhone because scrolling to see the screen moves the time zones. Should work well on the iPad and is nice on my PC as well.

http://everytimezone.com/

Cheers,

Scho
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Flight Aware updated their Live Flight Tracking app this week. It has a much better look than the previous version and it works a little better.

At free its probably worth checking out if you have been looking for a decent flight tracking app.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:42 pm

Best Business Card App for Iphone 4?

What business card app do you guys use to store business cards on your iphone?

I'd prefer one that gives you the option to not add that person to your contact list (instead of doing it by default). I'd just like to categorize all my business cards into one place for easy search, but not in my phone contact list, as i don't want it to get too cluttered for business contacts that i may only call once per year.

Last edited by longleaf; Jul 2, 2010 at 12:50 pm
Old Jul 3, 2010, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by longleaf
What business card app do you guys use to store business cards on your iphone?

I'd prefer one that gives you the option to not add that person to your contact list (instead of doing it by default). I'd just like to categorize all my business cards into one place for easy search, but not in my phone contact list, as i don't want it to get too cluttered for business contacts that i may only call once per year.
Are you on a mac or pc? Seems like the easiest way to do this would be to just use the regular contact app and make groups/categories (family, work, contractors/services, etc.). That will let you more easily drill down through the mess, though I think at the end of the day it is always nice to keep everything together as you never know when you may need something.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 7:31 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The free AAA Triptik app is extraordinary and includes what amounts to a free text-to-speech GPS.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: OnePass,MileagePlus
Originally Posted by cblaisd
The free AAA Triptik app is extraordinary and includes what amounts to a free text-to-speech GPS.
What's the name of it so I can search for it in the apps store? I tried AAA and Triptik and cannot see it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.