Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new iPod

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ScottC
Do you know how much video fits in 16Gb?
The entire first series (25 episodes; about 18 hours) of Lost is less than 12GB.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickW
The entire first series (25 episodes; about 18 hours) of Lost is less than 12GB.
I've just finished loading my Archos.

I've got every episode of South Park and Family Guy. 129 episodes of various children's shows, the top 10 music videos each year for 1980-1999, 35 ripped DVD's (Hot Fuzz etc...), Seasons 1-2 of the Office (US AND UK) and seasons 1-4 of Coupling.

Old Sep 9, 2007, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
... and 5.5hrs (advertised) hours of playback time of video, so in the real-world you can probably watch less than two of your movies before finding power

In my opinion, these devices just aren't comparable. I mean, the Archos 605 wifi weighs the same as an iPod touch 16G plus an iPod classic 80GB.

It's a pretty finely differentiated market, isn't it? I can see you might not want to get an iPod touch if you already had the Archos, but it's not like the Archos is a slam-dunk to choose over the iPod.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickW
... and 5.5hrs (advertised) hours of playback time of video, so in the real-world you can probably watch less than two of your movies before finding power

In my opinion, these devices just aren't comparable. I mean, the Archos 605 wifi weighs the same as an iPod touch 16G plus an iPod classic 80GB.

It's a pretty finely differentiated market, isn't it? I can see you might not want to get an iPod touch if you already had the Archos, but it's not like the Archos is a slam-dunk to choose over the iPod.
Not as a music player, but for video it is hard to beat. Codec support is much better, screen resolution is 3 times better. It charges over USB so it's no problem to hook up a battery pack when I'm traveling. Plus it has a stand so I don't have to buy a special case or hold it in my hands when I want to watch a movie.

Even after introducing the Touch, Apple STILL doesn't have a worthy video device IMHO. Of course, everyone will have different wishes. Mine were to have a device that has a large HDD, a nice large high resolution screen and good codec support. The Apple doesn't fit in any of those. For the average user I'm sure the Touch will be just fine.

Of course, when Archos opens up their Content Portal for more stuff it'll be even better. To be able to remotely load Amazon Unbox, Cinemanow and many other movie providers will be awesome.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
I read somewhere that Apple has disabled Video Out on the new iPods so you can't display video on TVs anymore.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redburgundy
I read somewhere that Apple has disabled Video Out on the new iPods so you can't display video on TVs anymore.
Not exactly.

They disabled it on playback devices that don't have a special Apple authentication chip. Only a handful of video devices at the moment support that.

Those with speaker systems or docks that have video out will be out of luck apparently.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Not exactly.

They disabled it on playback devices that don't have a special Apple authentication chip. Only a handful of video devices at the moment support that.

Those with speaker systems or docks that have video out will be out of luck apparently.
Interesting, I hadn't heard about any of this. My buddy and I both have 30GB versions of the most recent "video iPod" (not sure what generation that is) and we both can play video on external devices using a special cable that is mini-jack to 3-way RCA.

So is this restriction something added to these latest iPods?

Craig
Old Sep 9, 2007, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Yes, as much as I want an IPOD touch for the wow factor, the 16 megs is tough. I have a 60 gb video Ipod about full now. I think if I get a next generation Ipod it will likely be the 160 gb video. Or really put all of my video on my Archos 604 WiFi and carry that for now. The Archos 605 and DVR base looks awful interesting though I just ordered the DVR for my 604, Amazon knocked $25 off since the newer ones are out.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drummingcraig
Interesting, I hadn't heard about any of this. My buddy and I both have 30GB versions of the most recent "video iPod" (not sure what generation that is) and we both can play video on external devices using a special cable that is mini-jack to 3-way RCA.

So is this restriction something added to these latest iPods?

Craig
Apparently, though Apple has been quiet on the topic...

More on it here: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ipod/new-...ear-297722.php

That said; they have added a new component out cable for the iPods which should improve video quality when playing on a TV.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Yes, as much as I want an IPOD touch for the wow factor, the 16 megs is tough. I have a 60 gb video Ipod about full now. I think if I get a next generation Ipod it will likely be the 160 gb video. Or really put all of my video on my Archos 604 WiFi and carry that for now. The Archos 605 and DVR base looks awful interesting though I just ordered the DVR for my 604, Amazon knocked $25 off since the newer ones are out.
I had the DVR dock for my 604wifi, and never used it.

Far too complicated for me

I just tivotogo stuff into mpeg and copy that onto my device. Much faster, and better for lazy people like myself
Old Sep 9, 2007, 4:51 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
I don't go along with the more storage is better crowd on this one. 8 or 16GB is plenty. I can put a few TV shows, an audiobook, and some music on the thing and head off to the airport. Over the course of my journey, I'll watch/listen to the stuff. Before my next trip...I'll put some new content on.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eastwest
I don't go along with the more storage is better crowd on this one. 8 or 16GB is plenty. I can put a few TV shows, an audiobook, and some music on the thing and head off to the airport. Over the course of my journey, I'll watch/listen to the stuff. Before my next trip...I'll put some new content on.
I'll be away for up to a few weeks. I don't like having to reload my device every other day. With 160Gb I've got a library of all the shows I want, and enough movies for any mood I am in.

A "few TV shows" is one or two flights. When you are on longhaul flights that'll get you though half the flight if you are lucky.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I had the DVR dock for my 604wifi, and never used it.

Far too complicated for me

I just tivotogo stuff into mpeg and copy that onto my device. Much faster, and better for lazy people like myself
Well, I dont have Tivo, luddite that I am .

Actually one thing that interested me about the DVR dock in particular was the ability to record VHS tapes being played. I have boxes of VHS tapes. I may digitize them and dump them. I will see how it goes.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:33 am

Scott: What did the Archos end up costing you? I was put off by the [605's] need for many additional things to provide it with good usability (codecs, browser etc). Also the lack of user replaceable battery and proprietary video output doesn't sit right with me (the 604 was better on these two).
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:38 am

Programs: TK *Gold / BA Gold / EZY Plus!
Wow so people actually watch films etc on those tiny screens!?! I just use my laptop (12") so is easily carried around with me. Plus then I can do work on it, browse the web and access all my multimedia stuff.

I still have my 4G 40GB ipod, but have never had more than about 12GB of stuff on it. Takes too long to scroll through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.