Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new iPod

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:08 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
what we need or want isnt the best for apple

i am sure that apple still wants to sell some of the ipod classics before they change all ipods to the ipod touch. (the old ipod has proven to be reliable and the ipod touch and iphones display and touchscreens have to prove this through the next month)

i am sure that within one year we will get the IPOD Touch NANO, ipod touch classic (starting with 60GB harddisk - 200gb Harddisk)

if you were runnin a business you would try to get money out of an existing product line as long as possible.

i am sure that apple will react quickly if the IPod Touch has a strong demand and will bring a version with a HDD.

about 0.8 cm i dont think you can put in a 160gb HDD and make it that slim.

of couse i would love a device with 200gb hdd , 0.5 cm , 200hours of playback , wifi, 3g, bluetooth ,etc etc. but i dont think it will happen this year, so we have to be patient.

dp
Old Sep 6, 2007, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by PTravel
Not everyone uses their iPod the same way. I listen to mine when I fly. I have no idea what I want to listen to until I get on the plane -- then I'll play whatever strikes me as appropriate for my mood. This means I need my entire music collection with me.
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Exactly. The same is true of video. When I go on a long, overseas business trip, I don't know what I'm going to feel like watching. So I load my iPod with lots of movies, TV shows, podcasts, and documentaries. No way is 16gb enough for my needs.

Huge disappointment.
How on earth did you guys survive in the days of travel before ipod and mp3 players? Did you have a walkman (tape or CD) and brought your entire music collection with you? How did you manage get that on board as carry on? I would never have been allowed on board with my entire collection.

/E
Old Sep 6, 2007, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by derpelikan
if you were runnin a business you would try to get money out of an existing product line as long as possible.
Or be paid for the research as the customer feedback will let you know what needs changing.

Now, if the new iTouch (you saw it here first) can back up raw images so they can be viewed (only jpeg can be viewed on iPods but it will back up raw and transfer back to laptop) + had a bigger HDD then I'd be running to the shop as we speak.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
On the iPod touch: 16gb is a disapointment... but with flash memory prices, its not unexpected (for those who are remotely intrested.. look at the price of Flash replacement disk drives ... they're still overly pricey IMO). I'm in the school of thought that thinks "iPod minus phone"... and 16gb for now isn't worth it

The "Classic" - Its good to see these large capacity small drives piping down to this level - means a lot of storage (be it music, images or photos). I still have this worry about putting stuff on something so portable and me with my butter fingers dropping it... (I have enough trouble with the Apple shop as it is.. but thats anohter angry thread)

The "FatPod Nano" (I couldn't resist -sorry ) - Well. Hands in the air who is going to watch a video for an hour on a screen like that please... Thank you. The new capacities are welcome, but there was something elegant about the v1 and v2 of the Nano. v3 looks a bit.. umm.. bloated. Think i'll put this one down to a physical inspection.

The Shuffles - Ahhhh. New season colours. Very.. umm .. pastle. However, its good to see a Product Red shuffle there (with a small price drop too).

Overall. Definatly a media event. There is promise in some of the range... there is also I fear a mistake in the making the the Nano.

(oh yes... And for the US Readers who brought the iPhone early... I'm sorry for your $200 loss .... talk about being s*****d... )
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Engadget reports that the Touch has been spotted WITH a Bluetooth icon....

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/06/d...ave-bluetooth/

It gets interesting.

Last edited by ScottC; Sep 6, 2007 at 6:36 am
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:46 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I wonder if there wil be hacks for the iPod, or hidden features to unlock
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Emma65
How on earth did you guys survive in the days of travel before ipod and mp3 players? Did you have a walkman (tape or CD) and brought your entire music collection with you? How did you manage get that on board as carry on? I would never have been allowed on board with my entire collection.

/E
I'm not sure, but I think I may have been the first person to bring on-board my own musical entertainment. Back in 1976, I would take a cassette recorder (these things were big, then -- about a foot long, 5 inches wide and 4 inches thick) and a pair of headphones (also very large -- none of those small "open" phones then). I'd listen to cassette tapes in the air. This drew some curious looks from the stewardesses (they weren't called "flight attendants" then) but, for the most part, they said nothing. I think then, as now, they liked the fact that it kept me occupied and out of their hair.

Needless to say, I bought a portable CD player very early on. I used to carry a small CD holder that could hold about 30 CDs. These became smaller and lighter and I upgraded several times.

As soon as the first CD-based MP3 players came out, I bought one. At 128 kbps, I could put about 12 albums on each CD, which meant I could easily carry hundreds of albums with me. From the CD-based mp3 player, I moved up to a Creative Jukebox with a 40 gigabyte hard drive. This was a little larger and heavier than the CD-based mp3 player but, of course, allowed me to dump all those mp3 CDs. When the Creative started to die, I bought a 5th Generation iPod with a 50 gigabyte drive. That's what I use now -- and will continue to use unless Apple puts out an iTouch with a lot of storage.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
This video out is new too, isn't it? Did earlier units have any video out before, even composite?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...More=MB128LL/A

What's odd is that the Touch outputs interlaced video while the Classic and Nano output progressive video, but at the same number of lines. This means the video output on the Classic and Nano is higher quality than the Touch, at least that's what I've always understood about interlaced vs progressive.

It also shows as being compatible with iPhone, but it doesn't say which output types. Presumably it's the same as the Touch.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine 5th G iPod has a composite video out.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Emma65

/E
That's why I bought an 80 GB iPod--so I could carry my whole music collection and load it up with videos. Obviously, that wasn't too practical in the Walkman days.

Apple is missing the market with the limited storage on the iPod Touch.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Count me in a one that is also disappointed with the lack of storage for the Touch. I think it's directly because of the fact that there is no current way to make the Touch's form factor stand out as being as thin as it is, and to offer 80GB+ of storage (which requires a hard drive, not flash memory).

This iPod/Apple junkie won't be buying one. Maybe the Nano with the $100 store credit.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Picked up some new iPods today.

They are quite nice, now to convert more videos to fill that 160Gb
Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The new UI is VERY nice. Coverflow, while useless is actually quite cool to play with. All in all I'm a happy Apple customer, as usual when it comes to iPods.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ScottC
The new UI is VERY nice. Coverflow, while useless is actually quite cool to play with. All in all I'm a happy Apple customer, as usual when it comes to iPods.
Classic/nano, or touch?
Old Sep 8, 2007, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAaronT
Classic/nano, or touch?

160Gb Classic(s) and a Nano. Touch wasn't in stores yet, and I doubt I'll get one since I just got my Archos 605WiFi with 160Gb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.