Reload this Page >

Passengers who don't turn off their devices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers who don't turn off their devices

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:23 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by deac83
Wow, I didn't realize I was flying with so many electro mechanical engineers.

And Boeing 'proving' there is no interference? Amazing they don't have any vested interest in that do they?

This thread would be more entertaining if each most stated off with something like this:

"I'm a salesman/IT consultant, I have no idea how or why my cell phone or computer actually works, but I'm positive they can't interfere with the sophisticated electronics or an air plane".
I'm a commercial/multi-engine instrument rated pilot. Does that help?

and yes, I too have used my phone aloft. Not too often, but that's more of a factor of cockpit workload than safety.

Oh yeah--I also sell IT services.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Well that's certainly better than salesmen or consultants who's job is essentially to make people believe what they are saying is true.

In this thread, I believe, we have pilots who have seen some sort of interference and some who have not.

And based upon the logic many are using here, you would only need one incident to prove that cell phones can cause interference. So that means to me if we have 1000 pilots saying they've never seen it, and one that has it disproves the hypothesis that cell phone don't or can't interfere with instruments.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), Hertz 5 star
Well that's certainly better than salesmen or consultants who's job is essentially to make people believe what they are saying is true.
What?

Your attitude on this subject is in tune with Willy Loman, not what the business world is about today.

Care to share your job title?

Let me guess?

Engineeer or IT
Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:22 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)

In this thread, I believe, we have pilots who have seen some sort of interference and some who have not.

And based upon the logic many are using here, you would only need one incident to prove that cell phones can cause interference. So that means to me if we have 1000 pilots saying they've never seen it, and one that has it disproves the hypothesis that cell phone don't or can't interfere with instruments.
It’s a good argument. We can extend it and say that since every morning I hear of fatal accidents during the morning commute cars should be outlawed--no more crossing streets because people get run over. Or how about this--since one person in a million may be a terrorist we can require all pax take a sleeping pill before flight. A sleeping terrorist keeps everyone alive.

I'm just messin with ya. Personally I turn it off when I am flying in back and do what I want when I am flying the plane. Mostly because the cap asks me too via the FA announcement. The exception is a Blackberry I had once that I never took the time to figure out how to shut off.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat

Without doing a careful survey of the thread, I got the impression that the pilots posting here were flying smaller planes. The shielding for commercial jet's avionics I would assume to be better and the components themselves of a higher, more durable grade.

We have yet to hear of the single instance you set as the threshold in which cell phones have interfered with a commercial airliner.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Teacher49
Without doing a careful survey of the thread, I got the impression that the pilots posting here were flying smaller planes. The shielding for commercial jet's avionics I would assume to be better and the components themselves of a higher, more durable grade.

We have yet to hear of the single instance you set as the threshold in which cell phones have interfered with a commercial airliner.
as someone mentioned ealrier boeing did a study and found not one instance of it interfering with radios or any navigational tool
Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:44 pm

Maybe because most pax turn them off?

as someone mentioned ealrier boeing did a study and found not one instance of it interfering with radios or any navigational tool
[sarcasim on]And Boeing would be motivated to prove that it does so they couldn't sell WIFI etc to the airlines?[sarcasim off]

We can extend it and say that since every morning I hear of fatal accidents during the morning commute cars should be outlawed--no more crossing streets because people get run over.
Of course there are quite a few things that kill many more individuals every day than will ever die in one jet crash, but the focus is on the number of deaths per incident. Flying is safer than driving yet you can get a licsence to drive at 16 and never have to take a driving test again. And now that you bring it up, can we ban cell phones in the car if there is no hands free?
Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by DallasAudiGuy
What?

Care to share your job title?

Let me guess?

Engineeer or IT
Consultant non-IT
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by CandymanJim
I typically place my cell phone on a clip right next to the panel when I fly, if I forget to turn it off I WILL GET INTERFERENCE ON MY COMMUNCATION radios. Granted it is only 6 inches from the panel. I have had issues with it affecting my GPS navigation as well. Regulations are there for a reason, like it or not, while you may disagree with them, you should repsect them, and me as we may be sitting right next to you, or you could deal with the wrath of my wife!

Jim
If I put my iron on my arm, I get burned. But if I move it a short distance further, there is no harm at all.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by ORDinary Gold
On two recent flights, I've noticed that nearby passengers have not turned off their electronic devices as requested prior to takeoff. One left on a blackberry and the other an ipod. Would you have said something? To the passenger or the FA?
I used to obey instructions to turn off devices, but I sawFA's using blackberry's and cell phones when they were not supposed to, so now I use my iPOD, noise cancelling headphones and text messaging function on my cell phone whenever I feel like it. A blanket to hide devices in one's lap, strategically placed electrical tape to hide powerlights and an honest face is all one needs.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
It's unbelievable that this thread continues multiple pages after I pointed out that multiple airlines offer onboard wireless Internet (via Boeing Connexion) and that Ryanair is going to allow onboard cellphone use starting some time next year.

Why are people picking and choosing the "authorities" who they believe? Why do you believe the silly announcement the FA gives you--which is accompanied by no justification other than "I told you so" or perhaps a swift kick in the "it is a federal offense to disobey a crewmember's instructions"--rather than the scientists and engineers who have determined it is safe to use WiFi and cellphones onboard, and the regulatory agencies that have authorized such use in connection with the services I have mentioned?
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
I typically place my cell phone on a clip right next to the panel when I fly, if I forget to turn it off I WILL GET INTERFERENCE ON MY COMMUNCATION radios. Granted it is only 6 inches from the panel. I have had issues with it affecting my GPS navigation as well. Regulations are there for a reason, like it or not, while you may disagree with them, you should repsect them, and me as we may be sitting right next to you, or you could deal with the wrath of my wife!

Jim
Originally Posted by mvoight
If I put my iron on my arm, I get burned. But if I move it a short distance further, there is no harm at all.
This is a good analogy and explains why CandymanJim can get very real interference when clipping his cell phone 6" from a nav radio but nothing happens when the guy in seat 2B does. Inverse Square Law applies. As you double the distance from the source of radiation the intensity of the energy decreases by a factor of four.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 6:14 am

Being in the industry, I have seen many devices emit higher power than normal or unexpected RF transmissions under certain failure conditions. Since we can not predict when these failures will occur, it is safer to turn off the devices (cell phones, wireless laptops, etc...) than risk messing up the nav or radio systems.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by justageek
It's unbelievable that this thread continues multiple pages after I pointed out that multiple airlines offer onboard wireless Internet (via Boeing Connexion) and that Ryanair is going to allow onboard cellphone use starting some time next year.

Why are people picking and choosing the "authorities" who they believe? Why do you believe the silly announcement the FA gives you--which is accompanied by no justification other than "I told you so" or perhaps a swift kick in the "it is a federal offense to disobey a crewmember's instructions"--rather than the scientists and engineers who have determined it is safe to use WiFi and cellphones onboard, and the regulatory agencies that have authorized such use in connection with the services I have mentioned?
Maybe because there is a difference between a plane that is equiped to recieve and relay wifi/cell signals and one that is not.

As pointed out earlier cell phones are apparently are sending out stronger signals when they can't connect to a network. I guess you've never wondered why when you are in a dead zone why your cell batter will drain in 1-2 hours when it's not being used?
Old Nov 1, 2006, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by chewy3
What a ridiculous rule. I always use my ipod if not told directly to shut it off. An ipod will not bring down a 737.
That is a pretty common response.

Think about this for a minute. The problem is NOT that your specific iPod will bring down the plane. The problem is that hundreds of new electronic devices are introduced every year and we cannot test them all. They are not required to meet some given standard for interference, and devices do sometimes emit frequencies outside of normal behavior. Just recently there was a UK study (Leeds?) showing cell phone interference in a controlled study.

Originally Posted by daggett24
If cell phones actually do interfere, then at some airports where the final approach goes right over the highway, cell phone use by motorists on the highway should be limited as well.
This is also a pretty common response.

A cell phone on the ground is typically not emitting a signal as strong as one in a plane. The phone in the plane is far from a tower and working at maximum strength to get a signal.

Last edited by rrgg; Nov 1, 2006 at 9:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.