Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers who don't turn off their devices

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Originally Posted by deac83
Wow, I didn't realize I was flying with so many electro mechanical engineers.

And Boeing 'proving' there is no interference? Amazing they don't have any vested interest in that do they?

This thread would be more entertaining if each most stated off with something like this:

"I'm a salesman/IT consultant, I have no idea how or why my cell phone or computer actually works, but I'm positive they can't interfere with the sophisticated electronics or an air plane".

Why are they allowed on the planes? Because the risk is low. Why should they be turned off, becuase the risk is not zero.
I don't buy that argument. Plenty of people have been injured from sudden mid-air turbulence. Is the risk low, yes, is it zero, no, yet you don't see airlines harnessing passengers into 5 point harnesses or putting them in locking lap bars.

The original question was would you actually report someone who you know left their cell phone on. So its really asking two questions in this order:

1. Do you believe mobiles interfere with sensitive equipment in a dangerous way from the pax cabin? If so you would report it.
2. If not, Do you believe in blindly enforcing airline rules on behalf of the airline, perhaps when its own agents don't? If so you would report it.

What I'm spending my boredom time doing is proving that since 1 is of inconsequence, and 2 is silly, that there's no reason why it should bother you, unless it bothers you for the sake of it doing so (ie. you don't like the brazen attitude of someone who doesn't follow the rules).
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nixande
Let me put it this way:
Most people flying a lot complain about stress. The mobile rule is a very good reason to be "doomed" not to be able to work.

The fact that this IS a delicat system and - in case you do mind looking at the monitor from time to time - at the speed at which you never will travel otherwise I really do not want anything interfering with another.

To give you a story of something less heavy:
Friends of mine had wireless headphones for their tv, an older wireless telephone and an outside termometer which would communicate with the base station wirelessly (quite clever - taking the temperature outside and have the box inside).

When the head phones where on and they received a call, the wireless weather station would freeze. Reliable, every time.

mobile phone interferes with mp3 players, normal phones and even your monitors.

Yes, most of the systems are pretty secure. But I am more than happy to turn off my mobile phone for the off chance of throwing the system off.

Because in that case I do not want to fly!

[And I would be curious about the differences of wireless in the plane and wireless mouse ...]

Great examples.

Here's another: my cell phone or blackberry placed anywhere near my PC ends up piping a ton of interference noise through the PC speakers when the mobile devices are communicating in some way -- a three- to five-second crackling, clickety sound most of us have heard and would readily recognize. Clearly an example of device interference.

While proximity plays a major role, few if any of us have wired a passenger jet from scratch and can unqualifying state that no interference possibility exists anywhere in the aircraft.

It goes to an issue of avoidable risk -- even if the odds are just 1 in 100,000, you can eliminate that risk by simply shutting off all phones and devices. For air travel, I want that risk to be as low as possible because the chances of survival in the event of an in-flight problem are not that good.

To echo a point made earlier -- take a good, long look in the mirror if your life is so dependent on a mobile device that you can't bear the thought of not using it for a flight.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
its actually very easy to do other stuff as a private pilot. and if you have anyone else in the plane, they just take the controls and away u talk.
Does the Equipment manufacturer actually issue regulations or guidelines on use of cell phones? If you're a private pilot you're still bound by FCC/FAA, but does gulfstream explicitly state "don't do it in OUR aircraft"?
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Twenty years ago Qantas did not allow use of personal Discman CD players all the way across the vast Pacific. Cassette players were OK.

I used to keep mine under my blanket. 15 hours was way too long to give into paranoid rules.

Always made it the target city, even the right airport and correct runway. Could have been the reason they lost my bags, though.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA-plt
Originally Posted by Horizons
Wow, 6 pages of electronics discussion and nothing yet about digital cameras.

I am not an engineer, and I don't know specifically how a digital shot (storage to a media device, like an SD or CF card) might interfere with cockpit communication, if at all. But I have used cameras sparingly in the past when there is a particularly awesome view. Never had a FA say to turn it off, but have gotten plenty of withering looks from nearby pax.

Does anyone know whether a digital camera poses a specific risk to aircraft operation? The non-reaction from FA's suggests "no", but it would be good to have further info from those with knowledge of whether the mechanism of writing to a media card in seat 21A is dangerous to avionics up front.
Probably the reason why is because cameras are more dangerous on the ground, as in when people are taking pictures of airplanes near airports. Check out the forums at airliner.net and see how many people get harrassed by police.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by CandymanJim
On the outbound flight there were 3 "Oakland" residents on our OAK to LAX and their phone rang on take off. My 130lb wife began to verbally assault them for even having it on. Suprisingly, they apologized and turned it off. I thought there was going to be problems with this one...Jim
This comment makes no sense -- do you know the demographics of Los Angeles -- have you ever ventured out of Palos Verdes, Century City, Redondo Beach, or wherever you live?

Are the majority of members of FT all white and Asian? Seems like it when comments like this slide with no moderator intervention.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by CandymanJim
I typically place my cell phone on a clip right next to the panel when I fly, if I forget to turn it off I WILL GET INTERFERENCE ON MY COMMUNCATION radios. Granted it is only 6 inches from the panel. I have had issues with it affecting my GPS navigation as well. Regulations are there for a reason, like it or not, while you may disagree with them, you should repsect them, and me as we may be sitting right next to you, or you could deal with the wrath of my wife!

Jim
That is due to the harmonics affecting the giant antenna that is your headset. It will be worse if you have a noise cancelling headset.

When I did my IFR checkride, the DE made a call as I was doing my run up. Those that say the FAA will "be waiting for you" should talk to the FAA DE that was making that call.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K IHG Spire
It's Really All About "Rule Fatigue"

Originally Posted by plupup
This is what our society has come to - people just break the rules simply because they don't think the rules apply to them or if they think think the rules are stupid.
Actually, I think what we are seeing is what I have come to call "rule fatigue" especially when it comes to air travel. The recent incidents around liquids in carry-ons added yet **another** set of do's and don't to the air travel experience.

Next time your flight is delayed and you have some down time w/out your electronic devices, make a list of the do's and don'ts you have been told about since your arrival at the airport, starting with "The White Zone is for Loading and Unloading of Passengers Only". The list is probably long and likely to get longer with every new scare or alert, or innovation in consumer electronics.

Some rules are of course necessary for the safety of air travel, but come on, it's getting out of control. Every rule and regulation we are told about can't be "do or die" as the TSA, FAA and AA would have you believe. Intelligent people naturally question authority, so inconsistent or seemingly illogical rules get debated. Each mindless, silly or illogical rule just devalues the ones that really matter.

I like traveling by rail for the sheer simplicity of the experience and the lack of instructions, warnings and rules. Were that a more viable option for my trips, I would consider it much more often.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by ClipperinSFO
Actually, I think what we are seeing is what I have come to call "rule fatigue" especially when it comes to air travel. The recent incidents around liquids in carry-ons added yet **another** set of do's and don't to the air travel experience.

Next time your flight is delayed and you have some down time w/out your electronic devices, make a list of the do's and don'ts you have been told about since your arrival at the airport, starting with "The White Zone is for Loading and Unloading of Passengers Only". The list is probably long and likely to get longer with every new scare or alert, or innovation in consumer electronics.

Some rules are of course necessary for the safety of air travel, but come on, it's getting out of control. Every rule and regulation we are told about can't be "do or die" as the TSA, FAA and AA would have you believe. Intelligent people naturally question authority, so inconsistent or seemingly illogical rules get debated. Each mindless, silly or illogical rule just devalues the ones that really matter.
^ Beautifully put.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Teacher49
Which fairly raises the question, sir or madam, what are your qualifications?
I don't think I'm even giving an opinion risk NE zero same as saying 'never say never'. The one thing that might be certain is if an electronic device is 'off' then it cannot interfere.

And I'm not an engineer nor do a have the illusion that I know the answer to the technical question. Earlier in my career I did work in the semiconductor industry (with the engineer who are creating the stuff that could interfere) with the engineers in manufacturing and design. I've seen these engineers puzzled over problems that they can't explain in the chips they've designed and manufactured. I've seen chips that we manufactured for years with no problem suddenly go haywire and have an engineering team spend months trying to fix the problem.

So if people want to believe this is a black and white issue with absolutes go ahead. After all who thought your laptop battery would suddenly burst into flames? I'm betting Sony didn't think it would happen.

I don't buy that argument. Plenty of people have been injured from sudden mid-air turbulence. Is the risk low, yes, is it zero, no, yet you don't see airlines harnessing passengers into 5 point harnesses or putting them in locking lap bars.
I'm not a lawyer here so this is just speculation on my part. The pilot 'recommends' that you buckle up incase of turbulance. Seems that they have legally coverd themselves. Also, who is injured? The INDIVIDUAL that doesn't buckle up.

So, maybe on the cell phone/electronics they are saying 'don't endanger a plane full of passengers'.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), Hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by fishee
This comment makes no sense -- do you know the demographics of Los Angeles -- have you ever ventured out of Palos Verdes, Century City, Redondo Beach, or wherever you live?

Are the majority of members of FT all white and Asian? Seems like it when comments like this slide with no moderator intervention.
It makes perfect sense. It is just purely racist, since Oakland is city with a large black population and reputation for lots of gang bangers.

The funny thing is that the poster is from MODESTO!! Not exactly the cultural center of CA.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.7MM, AC

So interesting. That was the 1st thing I thought of but I so often blow it off because why waste my time - but good job for calling him out! ^
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), Hertz 5 star

Try Modesto

oh the Irony!!
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, UA, CO, DL, Hhonors Gold
Cell phones broadcast at a much higher signal strength when they need to. So if they're not able to reach a base station, they'll send out their strongest signal, very often.

Ever noticed that a cell phone that will have 4 days of standby time can drain a battery in a couple hours if you're out of range of a signal? That energy is going somewhere.

The question isn't what happens if A COUPLE cellphones are on in a flight, the question is what happens if FOUR HUNDRED cellphones are broadcasting at full power constantly. Those two scenarios are not the same.

While it's still probably overkill, it's a different scenario from the cute idea of a phone forgetfully left on taking out a plane. And one of the things that having on-board cell service would do is kill the desire of every phone to send out a continuous max-power signal, also limiting this problem and explaining why it's not hypocritical that a plane might be able to allow cell use if they install such a system.

And yes, the ground interference is also an issue.

Pilots communicate with ATC via headsets. If a cell signal is right there you can hear it in the headset -- that's easy to demonstrate. There are plenty of other things in the cockpit that could be affected. Does one cell phone take out a plane? Of course not, but 300 or 400 of them all on max power at once might well make it hard to hear the control tower, or do all sorts of bad things. It's not totally crazy.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:12 pm
csg

I'm just curious -- the couple of times I have either forgotten to turn my cellphone off or it went on in the middle of the flight, I have never picked up a signal mid-flight. I have used both Cingular and Sprint PCS. Do other people get coverage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.