Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers who don't turn off their devices

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I hate people that think they're too good for the rules. This is what this phenomenon is about, at its root.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:49 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by CandymanJim
I typically place my cell phone on a clip right next to the panel when I fly, if I forget to turn it off I WILL GET INTERFERENCE ON MY COMMUNCATION radios. Granted it is only 6 inches from the panel. I have had issues with it affecting my GPS navigation as well. Regulations are there for a reason, like it or not, while you may disagree with them, you should repsect them, and me as we may be sitting right next to you, or you could deal with the wrath of my wife!

Jim
Most passengers don't happen to be sitting in the cockpit...
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:53 pm

I got a Treo phone last January. I flew to HI in April for the first time with that phone. There is a way to just turn off the radio on it, which I did. Upon arriving in HNL, I found my battery dead. Apparently, that thing turns itself on and checks email and stuff. It was in a bag the whole time, and must have been searching for a signal or something the whole flight to kill the battery. Nobody said anything to me and it apparently did not screw up the flight. On the way home I just pulled out the battery.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ORDinary Gold
"What if the FAA is not completely full of crap on this, and you crash? And you last thoughts on this planet will be about how stupid you were for not opening your mouth."
What if the person who is blatantly keeping his cellphone on is doing so as a ploy so that you complain to the FA, the FA gets the Captain out of the cockpit enabling accomplices of the cellphone user to force their way into the cockpit? What will you be thinking then? Just joking -
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Advantage (Platinum)
I am also of the MYOB school of thought. Unless the other passenger was somehow infringing upon me personally, I'll always look the other way.

If I remember, I always turn my cell phone off (a couple of times it's been on the whole flight because for whatever reason, I forgot to turn it off), and the only other device I'd use would be my computer, which is always stowed under my seat for takeoff/landing anyhow.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
I was wondering the same thing.
I don't know...this was in in Dallas Morning News several years ago.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:08 pm

Programs: 0.4MM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/10/30
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I firmly believe that the rule is dumber than dumb. And I have NEVER seen verifiable evidence that a cell phone has EVER interfered with flight. And I would mind my own business when seeing others using electronic equipment UNLESS it was causing ME an issue (like a loud toy).

BUT, if the crew gives you an instruction, and you fail to obey, you can EASILY expect to be greeted by police officers on landing. The more overt your defiance, the greater likeliehood you will be detained.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 925
I firmly believe that the rule is dumber than dumb. And I have NEVER seen verifiable evidence that a cell phone has EVER interfered with flight. And I would mind my own business when seeing others using electronic equipment UNLESS it was causing ME an issue (like a loud toy).

BUT, if the crew gives you an instruction, and you fail to obey, you can EASILY expect to be greeted by police officers on landing. The more overt your defiance, the greater likeliehood you will be detained.
The crew DOES give instruction on every flight. Why is it so hard for people to follow the rules (whether you agree or not)?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Torgen
Thanks. ^
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The restrictions on cell phone use in flight has nothing to do with flight safety. Its a problem of the cell phone reaching out to too many towers because there are no obstructions (hopefully) between the airplane and numerous cell towers.

See the Congressional testimony from the Chief of the Office of Engineering and Technology at the Federal Communications Commission - "The Commission’s rules specifically prohibit the use of cellular transmitters on aircraft, except for aircraft on the ground. This prohibition was not done to protect the aircraft’s avionics systems from interference from the cellular transmitter. Rather, this prohibition was made to protect the cellular service from interference. As the altitude of a cellular handheld transmitter increases, so do its transmission range and, consequently, its coverage area. At high altitudes, such as would be achieve from an in-flight aircraft, the handheld unit places its signal over several cellular base stations, preventing other cellular users within range of those base stations from using the same frequency. This would increase the number of blocked or dropped cellular calls."

He did defer to the FAA regarding the impact on avionics.

http://www.house.gov/transportation/.../hatfield.html
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AA53
The crew DOES give instruction on every flight. Why is it so hard for people to follow the rules (whether you agree or not)?
Oh. You mean i have to listen to the entire safety presentation every time I board an AA plane? Becasue they DO tell you to listen!

Or - When was the last time you sat in an exit row seat and actually read the safety card in the pocket - as they tell you to.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by chewy3
Valid point, but an emergency situation can occur at anytime not just during takeoff and landing.

I also don't understand the no reclining and trays up rule (especially when Y seats only recline 2 in anyway.)
Takeoff and landing emergency most likely require the most immediate reaction. (Versus having time to deal with a problem at altitude.) I also believe that most air emergencies occur during takeoff and landing.

No reclining and trays up (especially in economy) are to allow for a smoother evacuation -no trays to climb over and seat backs are not blocking the way.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Sometimes, I even leave it plug into the powerport with the cord stretching from between the seats into my seat pocket.
I'm surprised you get away with this. While I believe that the fear surrounding electronic devices' ability to interfere with the plane's navigations systems is a bit of hogwash (see here), there are some safety regulations that seem pretty straightforward and obvious to me. Keeping aisles clear, seatbacks forward, and items under the seats do help in a rapid egress god forbid something bad does happen.

If I saw someone with a power cord going from the powerport (which is usually underneath your row) to the seat back (in front of you), I would probably ask (politely) that you unplug it and properly stow your laptop.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:04 pm

I didn't shut off my computer once, and the plane landed without incident; no FAMs there to arrest me as I deplaned either.

There were few people on the flight, had the row to myself; I was watching a movie, my earbud headphones were in, volume turned up. The computer was on the floor (eyeglasses were in my checked bag). I felt a bump and the laptop started sliding forward. I looked up- a little bewildered and saw the runway out the window. Closed the laptop, stuck it in the carry on and got ready to disembark. No one said anything to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.