Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers who don't turn off their devices

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by AA53
Several years ago, a WN flight from SAT to DAL couldn't land because a cell phone interfered with the flight nav. The pilot turned the plane around and returned to SAT. The offending pax was found and arrested.. Follow instructions or take the chance...and I will call the FA.
Links please.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:40 pm

Programs: Mediocre AA Stew
Originally Posted by Teacher49
Actually, I do turn off all devices out of respect for the poor souls whose job it is to enforce these silly rules. We have all seen so many who do not follow the rules and yet we reach the correct airport anyway ...
Thank You! I would say that being the electronic device Nazi has got to be the thing I like least about my job. Mainly because people jump all over us. But like you said, it's our job to enfore the rules, silly or otherwise.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Several years ago, a WN flight from SAT to DAL couldn't land because a cell phone interfered with the flight nav. The pilot turned the plane around and returned to SAT. The offending pax was found and arrested.. Follow instructions or take the chance...and I will call the FA.
How could they land in SAT but couldnt land in DAL?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by ihdihd
I have a hard time believing that. Sounds like burning the witches to me. To that pilot the difference between causation and correlation are non-existent, and as soon as they saw someone on their cell phone they assumed it was the cause of the issue.

Again, I (and a few companies looking to make bids for open sky micro-cells) have trouble seeing how a cell phone in anyone sitting as close as 1A could interfere with the nav control, unless its the pilot's phone and he had it resting comfortably on top of his console.
I agree, it was almost certainly not related. In fact, studies have shown that pretty much every flight has a few cell phones turned on for the whole flight (in most cases because someone forgot to turn theirs off and it's in their luggage, either on board or checked in).
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:53 pm
jab

Programs: EXP AA, PLT Marriott
I wouldn't report it.

I was one of those that never turned the phone off, then realized that while my phone was on it was draining the battery. So now it goes off all of the time.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by jmplatinum
I frequently leave my cell phone on and almost always leave my computer in standby mode.

I always turn my phone off, unless I forget, and I never, ever turn my computer off. I put it on stand-by, so when we cross 10,000 ft, I can turn it back on easily.

Sometimes, I even leave it plug into the powerport with the cord stretching from between the seats into my seat pocket.

Air travel is already inefficient enough due to TSA...
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by chewy3
What a ridiculous rule. I always use my ipod if not told directly to shut it off. An ipod will not bring down a 737.

I think that elecs other than phones are asked to be off during takeoff and landing so that passengers are not distracted by headphones etc. This is in the same vain as no reclining and trays up. They want to be able to communicate easily if an emergency arises.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:00 pm
Suspended

I guess when the airlines figure a way to get a cut of the in-air cell calls, they will decide the risk of cellphones interfering with aircraft systems is so low it is not an issue - sort of like ETOPs.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:07 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I think that elecs other than phones are asked to be off during takeoff and landing so that passengers are not distracted by headphones etc. This is in the same vain as no reclining and trays up. They want to be able to communicate easily if an emergency arises.
Valid point, but an emergency situation can occur at anytime not just during takeoff and landing.

I also don't understand the no reclining and trays up rule (especially when Y seats only recline 2 in anyway.)
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL D, AA LTP 2.6MM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
[QUOTE=CandymanJim]As a pilot, I have seen firsthand cell (Nextel) issues with my GPS, but I dont think it is really a problem with most airlines, but when they say turn it off, you should turn it off.

Funny story, just this last summer the guy behind me would not turn off his cell phone during takeoff and the stewerdess let him have it. the jerk then asked the guy sitting next to him if he was selfish. The guy proceeded to tell him he was an idiot, but did it in a professional, tackfull manner that I could not have put so eloquently. Since he was out of my view I could only draw a face to match the voice and I kept coming up with Elliott Gould. when I got off the plane (SWA - LAX-OAK) I noticed it was in fact Elliot Gould. I stood next to him while waiting for our baggage and told him what a great job he did in putting this guy in his place.

The core issue here is that it is the regulation.

The regulation itself, I'm sure will be modified at some point in the near future.

Listening to people who choose to flaunt the role are irritating and should be flogged, not because they are likely to take the plane down, but because they are irrogant.

On short flights I turn my Blackberry to vibrate and go to sleep...

Until the idiot next to me starts to speak during the taxi to the runway!
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by bbkenney
How could they land in SAT but couldnt land in DAL?
I was wondering the same thing.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I guess when the airlines figure a way to get a cut of the in-air cell calls, they will decide the risk of cellphones interfering with aircraft systems is so low it is not an issue - sort of like ETOPs.
Done and done! Starting some time next year, you'll be able to use your cellphone on Ryanair.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...s_x.htm?csp=34

I think the thing people object to isn't so much the rules themselves, but being lied to about the reasons for them (namely, that you'll cause some kind of radio interference that will crash the plane).
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:25 pm

Several years ago I read that Boeing had a high-tech lab in which they reviewed each report of "electronic interference with aircraft systems" on any of their planes, attempting to duplicate the problem so they could address it. At that time, if I were to believe the article (iirc it was more likely to have been in Aviation Week than the National Inquirer, so had some credibility) they had not been able to duplicate a single problem.

That coupled with the likelihood that on every commercial passenger flight there are several phones left on, I'm not going to get too excited about it, even during a Cat III landing. I'd be more concerned about who is cross-checking the doors, now that most flights have a single person at each station.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott SIL, Hyatt GLD
Originally Posted by FWAAA
No, I'm a firm believer in the MYOB school of thought.
I find it interesting that almost 100% would MYOB. That was my inclination too, and I did so both instances. But at the same time I was thinking to myself, "What if the FAA is not completely full of crap on this, and you crash? And you last thoughts on this planet will be about how stupid you were for not opening your mouth."
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:44 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
I typically place my cell phone on a clip right next to the panel when I fly, if I forget to turn it off I WILL GET INTERFERENCE ON MY COMMUNCATION radios. Granted it is only 6 inches from the panel. I have had issues with it affecting my GPS navigation as well. Regulations are there for a reason, like it or not, while you may disagree with them, you should repsect them, and me as we may be sitting right next to you, or you could deal with the wrath of my wife!

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.