Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers who don't turn off their devices

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
So what's the risk?
I answered your question.

Try looking at it this way. Let's say devices don't really cause much interference. Let's say it's minimal and an annoyance to the pilot in most cases. I don't want the pilot have to guess about accuracy or reliability. I want the pilot to be able to rely on equipment, especially in instrument-only conditions. In this case, I still the devices banned.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rrgg
I answered your question.

Try looking at it this way. Let's say devices don't really cause much interference. Let's say it's minimal and an annoyance to the pilot in most cases. I don't want the pilot have to guess about accuracy or reliability. I want the pilot to be able to rely on equipment, especially in instrument-only conditions. In this case, I still the devices banned.
Totally agree. A situation where the pilot has to second guess his instruments due to cell phone interference is unacceptable. So they should be banned completely.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 12:04 pm

Like I said, there's appropriate risk management based on level of risk. I'm sorry I can't explain this concept to you.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 2:39 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Plain and simple

Question:
May I use a cell phone during flight? May I use it for other purposes during flight if it's in "airplane" mode?

Answer:
You may not use a cell phone on any aircraft during flight. You may use a cell phone while the aircraft is on the ground if permitted by the pilot-in-command. For more information, please see Advisory Circular: 91.21-1.

Airplane or "game" mode, found on some of the newer phones, is designed to prevent incoming or outgoing calls by disconnecting the telephone from the wireless network. You can still access other phone features, such as games.

While airplane mode is designed to prevent possible interference with the aircraft, it is up to the airline to decide if they will allow cell phones to be used in this mode during flight. Passengers should check with crew members before operating cell phones in this mode. Crew members may verify that cell phones are being operated only in a noninterference mode and may still request that they be turned off if interference is suspected.

If you have comments regarding the use of cell phones in flight, please contact the Federal Communication Commission at 1-888-225-5322, or email at [email protected].

For more information, see FAA Fact Sheet.
Get the Facts on Cell Phone Use
Most airline passengers know the drill. Turn off all pagers, electronic games, PDAs, MP3 and CD players and the like once the cabin door is closed, until the plane gets above 10,000 feet. No using cell phones at any time while the plane is in the air. But hardly anyone knows the real reason why they have to follow these rules.

It's a Safety Thing
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is concerned that there are still many unknowns about the radio signals that portable electronic devices (PEDs) and cell phones give off. These signals, especially in large quantities and emitted over a long time, may unintentionally affect aircraft communications, navigation, flight control and electronic equipment.

FAA regulations (specifically, 14 CFR 91.21 and 121.306) prohibit use of most portable electronic devices aboard aircraft. The rules specifically exempt portable voice recorders, hearing aids, heart pacemakers and electric shavers because they don't give off signals that might interfere with aircraft systems.
(clip) FAA: Get the Facts
Whether you agree or not, it's in Black and White in the FAA Regulations. I highly suggest making sure that the person sitting next to you isn't an FAA Inspector!!! I have seen Inspectors give out fines to people who disobey crewmember instructions...particularly not following FAA Regulations.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
removed
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This thread would appear to be a likely candidate for Travel Technology Forum - nothing here specific to any airline I can see. The "fundis" at TT will likely weigh in with some interesting PsOV as well. Juliet Delta out.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 6:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I'm not really worried about somebodys cellphone causing the plane to slam into the side of a mountain, I just enjoy the fact that my time on a plane is about the only time I spend in public where I dont have to hear peoples phone conversations.

God help us all when they allow calls!
Old Nov 3, 2006, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by tonerman
I'm not really worried about somebodys cellphone causing the plane to slam into the side of a mountain, I just enjoy the fact that my time on a plane is about the only time I spend in public where I dont have to hear peoples phone conversations.

God help us all when they allow calls!
Totally agree! No cell phones. But the business you get occasionally to turn of noise canceling headphones really is over the top.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:44 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by ESflyer
Totally agree! No cell phones. But the business you get occasionally to turn of noise canceling headphones really is over the top.
Why? RF is RF. Either you believe devices can give off spurious emmissions or you believe they cannot. Sounds like the NIMBY principle in another form.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 6:33 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by ihdihd
In the horizontal(ish) plane, this problem is counteracted because multiple towers essentially slingshot their signal off of each other (contructive interference). This way, instead of the wave strength being a perfect sphere, it looks more like an infinity sign (sideways 8) where the axis of the 8 is the line crossing through both towers.
I suspect everyone else has moved along, but this is irrelevant for cellular towers where every tower is transmitting a different signal. Your EM waves class was discussing two towers broadcasting the same waveform,
Old Nov 4, 2006, 7:32 pm

Programs: CX, TG, SPG all back to base.
If you want to sit on an airline's plane, you should obey their rules. Simple as that, no matter how asinine you personally believe the rule to be; you are not being forced to fly.

If an airline suddenly decided on a no bermuda shorts policy for pax for aesthetic reasons, then I shouldn't expect to be exempted on the grounds that my Armani bermudas, whilst admittedly being shorts which are banned, should be allowed because they're tasteful. It might be a crappy rule, but it's a rule.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: US Airways (*A) Gold, United, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Preferred, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I hate people that think they're too good for the rules. This is what this phenomenon is about, at its root.
I hate mindless sheep that go along with every rule just because they are told to do so.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by phillyd2
I hate mindless sheep that go along with every rule just because they are told to do so.
Baaack off. The implication is that rules should be followed. If you don’t like the rule, then use other methods to challenge the rule. Simply breaking the rule is not the solution. Refusing to fly until they change the rule would get their attention, but our desire for convenience doesn't allow us to boycott them.

So take off your Bermuda shorts, and turn off your cell phone. Quit being so baaaad.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 8:04 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Now, now, boys. Make nice.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: US Airways (*A) Gold, United, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Preferred, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by daggett24
Baaack off. The implication is that rules should be followed. If you don’t like the rule, then use other methods to challenge the rule. Simply breaking the rule is not the solution. Refusing to fly until they change the rule would get their attention, but our desire for convenience doesn't allow us to boycott them.

So take off your Bermuda shorts, and turn off your cell phone. Quit being so baaaad.
yes sir. after all if the airline says so then it must be true. sort of like whatever the government says is true and must be obeyed.

oh yeah, much better this way. The old, we are free people that could think for themselves, way was just much to inefficient.

interesting too that you felt no need to attack:

"Originally Posted by magiciansampras:
I hate people that think they're too good for the rules".

be a good citizen and eat your peas.

bottom line is when we pay 1.99 per minute to use the airline's phone or wifi connection its all safe.

yes sir, whatever you say

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.