Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How much is a European SIM card, exactly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much is a European SIM card, exactly?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
thanks, weekilter. I may need to get an eBay account.

It turns out that my mother lent the phone away two years ago, it was never used, and it's (obviously) not been returned.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
I'm traveling to SE Asia later this week and want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly to avoid a huge ATT iPhone bill.

I have an unlocked phone (Motorola Razr) w/ an eKit Sim which includes a UK & US number. If someone calls the US number, there's a 19cent surcharge. Since with the eKit sim incoming calls are free in most of the areas I'm traveling, if someone calls the US number, it will end up costing me 19cents/minute.

Before I leave the US, I am going to forward my ATT iPhone number to the eKit US number. This way, anyone calling my iPhone will get forwarded to my unlocked Razr which will end up costing me 19cents/minute in most countries.

Here's the kicker. I still plan to bring my iPhone with me to receive incoming texts (which are free) and use wifi for skype, browsing, etc. I just want to make sure that since calls are forwarded from the US (I assume at the ATT switch), I will not be dinged for any roaming when someone calls me. I'll just answer the Razr and leave the iPhone in my pocket.

I've contacted ATT on this and received 2 different answers. One said I'll still get charged roaming since my iPhone is with me, the other said absolutely not; as long as the call is forwarded before I leave the US, I won't be charged roaming for incoming calls. I'm pretty certain my scenario I described above is correct and I won't be dinged, but just wanted some expert opinions here.

Thanks!
Just wanted to give this a quick bump since we are leaving tonight. I think I have the answer figured out, but if anyone has any personal experience/advice it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I'm looking to use the same SIM in France and the Netherlands. I'm mainly looking for data access.
A follow up on my earlier post.

The Vodafone prepaid SIM I got in the Netherlands was able to roam in France. I didn't try any calls, but they were 0,35 per minute + 0,79 per call in France or Belgium. When my phone was turned on, I got a text message letting me know these rates. It was in Dutch, but the numbers were easy enough to understand.

To activate the roaming internet package, I had to text the following to 4000
25MB op Reis
This gave me 1 week of access. I believe it was 25MB total (not per day), and was something like 10. Looks like a better option would be to pay 2 per day, and get 20MB: http://m.vodafone.nl/opreis

Based on the name, I assumed the "airport telecom shop" at Schiphol was a generic store that would have SIMs from many carriers. Instead, it was just one (and I forget who). So I had to track down a vodafone store in Amsterdam. Something to keep in mind for those of you assuming you'll have internet access as soon as you get to the airport.

Minimum top up value was $20. They would not take credit cards at the store.

And while it worked for me, today's sale of Vodafone's stake in SFR may impact roaming in France in the future.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: Traveling Around from Country to country
Just wanted to give this a quick bump since we are leaving tonight. I think I have the answer figured out, but if anyone has any personal experience/advice it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
The GSM technology works on a weird way when roaming.

When the phone is ON, and you receive a call while roaming it rings first to you, and after a while it either goes to voicemail or it goes to the forwarding number, so in both scenarios it will cost you roaming fees, because the local operator is the one who actually forwards the call to that forwarding number, which is wither your voice mail (go into settings and you'll see every GSM phone has a "Real" physical number where vociemails are forwarded to), or it will go to the forwarded number.

The solution:

Either disable voicemail, or let your phone turned OFF, do not power it ON, ignore calls, and let the phone be forwarded somewhere like to another phone number or voicemail.......

Enough said.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: Traveling Around from Country to country
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Try this one: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...?device=AT%26T F160 GoPhone%C2%AE - Prepaid %28Refurbished%29&q_sku=sku5120259#fbid=Hi1id

I do not know if it is unlocked, but there are a lot of services that can unlock it. I will have this phone in my hands on Thursday evening and can check if it is locked or not.
The F160 is an unlockable phone.....Period.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by travelpro2008
The F160 is an unlockable phone.....Period.
how can it be done? My friend got this phone on sale from AT&T and so far unable to unlock it.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I got this phone on this deal 9.99$, it took three calls for me, but I in the end got an unlock code from AT&T corporate. I am not a corporate sub, but managed to have a friend call in for me and get it done. I only pushed it for one device at the moment (I did buy three of these for travel, family) so I might try again soon enough. Not really sure what the issue is, if the AT&T CSS database just says no, or if there is a a price for them. Apparently it CAN be unlocked as well with some unlocker tools, but they cost between 10-15$ for the code.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I got this phone on this deal 9.99$, it took three calls for me, but I in the end got an unlock code from AT&T corporate. I am not a corporate sub, but managed to have a friend call in for me and get it done. I only pushed it for one device at the moment (I did buy three of these for travel, family) so I might try again soon enough. Not really sure what the issue is, if the AT&T CSS database just says no, or if there is a a price for them. Apparently it CAN be unlocked as well with some unlocker tools, but they cost between 10-15$ for the code.
My friend also got on on sale from AT&T for $9.99, however I called AT&T for him and they told me it cannot be unlocked till 11/2011. I even tried an online unlock service and they also replied that they cannot unlock it at the present time.

What number did you call AT&T? What did you say?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by travelpro2008
The GSM technology works on a weird way when roaming.

When the phone is ON, and you receive a call while roaming it rings first to you, and after a while it either goes to voicemail or it goes to the forwarding number, so in both scenarios it will cost you roaming fees, because the local operator is the one who actually forwards the call to that forwarding number, which is wither your voice mail (go into settings and you'll see every GSM phone has a "Real" physical number where vociemails are forwarded to), or it will go to the forwarded number.

The solution:

Either disable voicemail, or let your phone turned OFF, do not power it ON, ignore calls, and let the phone be forwarded somewhere like to another phone number or voicemail.......

Enough said.
I am back from my trip to SE Asia. I carried 2 phones with me, my ATT iPhone and a Razr with an eKit sim. Before I left the US, I forwarded my iPhone to the Razr using the US number supplied by the eKit sim. When I arrived at my destination, I turned on my iPhone and just used it for text messages (SMS) and data in wifi zones. I also used the GPS with a pre-loaded Ho Chi Minh City map app. My inbound texts were free and my outbound texts were 50cents each. Whenever someone would dial my iPhone number it would immediately ring my Razr and not the iPhone. I dialed all outbound calls using the Razr. I wasn't dinged for any international roaming on my iPhone and the prices for inbound calls on the Razr were very competitive. In Vietnam it was only 19cents per minute.

By the way, FaceTime on the iPhone worked flawlessly. I was able to "FaceTime" my nieces while sailing up the Saigon River using the ships wifi. Even with a relatively slow wifi connection they were able to see the jungles of Vietnam "live" while they were getting ready for bed back in North Carolina!
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
consur

Yes, let me just concur here. The forwarding on the iphone with ATT at least doesn't work as noted above where the current tower carrier is doing the forwarding. The forwarding is noted in the HOME carrier system and then forwards appropriately. I have used this on the iphone (and actually some other Motorola phones before and nokias) in many countries, even if one hasn't set it up prior to leaving the USA (in this example) the forwarding never hits the phone and I have never been billed. Texts come in just fine and go out fine.

I simply forward the domestic ATT iphone number to my google voice number. THAT number is set to ring BOTH my skype in number and my local country or international SIM number. IF I have skype running on the phone and have data service, of course I just pickup the iphone and take the call through skype. If I am on my international cell, I may or may not take the call depending on the country I am in. Either way, I get a text immediately via google voice with the transcript of the voicemail and I can text someone back immediately if I want to letting them know I am going to call them back.

I've never had a charge from ATT for any of this, regardless of whether I pickup, etc.

I only time I have had charges is if I DON'T forward and let calls go to voicemail. In that case, I usually get at least TWO charges PER CALL. One for the incoming call and ONE for the incoming voicemail alert (or maybe even the voicemail) IN some countries that is like 5$ a call, ouch.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 2:11 pm

I am back from my trip to SE Asia. I carried 2 phones with me, my ATT iPhone and a Razr with an eKit sim. Before I left the US, I forwarded my iPhone to the Razr using the US number supplied by the eKit sim. When I arrived at my destination, I turned on my iPhone and just used it for text messages (SMS) and data in wifi zones. I also used the GPS with a pre-loaded Ho Chi Minh City map app. My inbound texts were free and my outbound texts were 50cents each. Whenever someone would dial my iPhone number it would immediately ring my Razr and not the iPhone. I dialed all outbound calls using the Razr. I wasn't dinged for any international roaming on my iPhone and the prices for inbound calls on the Razr were very competitive. In Vietnam it was only 19cents per minute.

By the way, FaceTime on the iPhone worked flawlessly. I was able to "FaceTime" my nieces while sailing up the Saigon River using the ships wifi. Even with a relatively slow wifi connection they were able to see the jungles of Vietnam "live" while they were getting ready for bed back in North Carolina!
I just wanted to say I have done this numerous times on the iPhone as well with no problems. Once call forwarding is on no extra charges show up from AT&T and texting is only 50 cents for each outgoing one. One of the few good policies att has if you ask me!
Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:31 pm

My brothers and grandfather are going to England tomorrow afternoon for one week. They will have an AT&T iPhone (not unlocked), and two unlocked GSM cell phones (not smart phones). What is the best pre-paid SIM card to get once they arrive in England? Ideally, they would find something with a low rate to call US phone numbers. An alternative could be something with a low rate to call toll-free or local UK #'s, paired up with a low-cost calling card they could use to make outgoing calls to the US.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by vortix
My brothers and grandfather are going to England tomorrow afternoon for one week. They will have an AT&T iPhone (not unlocked), and two unlocked GSM cell phones (not smart phones). What is the best pre-paid SIM card to get once they arrive in England? Ideally, they would find something with a low rate to call US phone numbers. An alternative could be something with a low rate to call toll-free or local UK #'s, paired up with a low-cost calling card they could use to make outgoing calls to the US.
Anyone have any thoughts on the Orange "Camel" pre-paid SIM plan (http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phon...tem=prod640012), or the T-Mobile "Free International SIM" plan (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/free-...l-sim-cards/)? The T-Mobile plan says calls to the US are only 5p/minute.

Are there any other plans I should be looking at?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
@vortix

What I would do is get 2 pay-as-you-go (pre-pay) SIM cards from the Orange network.

Then switch them to the Camel tariff:
http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phon...riffName=Camel

Click on "more about Camel" to see all international call rates.

The Camel tariff is ideal if you'll be calling abroad a lot, including the US. Calls to the US (landline or mobile) will cost you just 10p/min., which is extremely cheap considering that calling a local number in the UK from that phone will cost 20p/min.

Also, if you can remember to use the SIM card at least once every 180 days (whether in the UK or even a quick local call while roaming in another European country for instance - just make sure there is a connection so that there is a charge), you will be able to keep those phone numbers (and credit will not expire).
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by aster
@vortix

What I would do is get 2 pay-as-you-go (pre-pay) SIM cards from the Orange network.

Then switch them to the Camel tariff:
http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phon...riffName=Camel

Click on "more about Camel" to see all international call rates.

The Camel tariff is ideal if you'll be calling abroad a lot, including the US. Calls to the US (landline or mobile) will cost you just 10p/min., which is extremely cheap considering that calling a local number in the UK from that phone will cost 20p/min.

Also, if you can remember to use the SIM card at least once every 180 days (whether in the UK or even a quick local call while roaming in another European country for instance - just make sure there is a connection so that there is a charge), you will be able to keep those phone numbers (and credit will not expire).
OK thanks!! What about the T-Mobile international pre-pay plan that offers 5p/minute international calling to the US?

Also, I should mention that they will only be in the UK for one week, with no plans to return anytime soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.