Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How much is a European SIM card, exactly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much is a European SIM card, exactly?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by sigma1104
Does this SIM require you to make a call first in Ireland before you can roam?
I can't speak for vodafone's.ie's, but I made my first call on a vodafone's UK sim in Sweden.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold UA CO DL BA SPG Hyatt Hilton Marriott
SIM in Spain

Pardon me if this has been covered. Now in Spain you have to activate a SIM card in person with your passport in hand. It is due to their increased security. Thinking I was saving time, I had bought my card on the Web only to find I had to go through this process anyway.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:33 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Best option for Italy, UK, and France

I'm planning to travel to Italy, UK, and France in June. I have an unlocked quad-band phone, all I need is to have an emergency contact number for others to reach me, no need for data, since I'll travel thru 3 countries, low international roaming charges is preferred. Any suggestion about which SIM card suits my needs the most, or should I just buy new one in each country? Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 4:10 am

If you are just spending a few days in each country, and as you stated that it's just for emergency, I'd suggest just buy a sim card in your first destination and roam with it in the others. EU roamimg rates on a card from an EU country is reasonable.

Originally Posted by rdchen
I'm planning to travel to Italy, UK, and France in June. I have an unlocked quad-band phone, all I need is to have an emergency contact number for others to reach me, no need for data, since I'll travel thru 3 countries, low international roaming charges is preferred. Any suggestion about which SIM card suits my needs the most, or should I just buy new one in each country? Thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:12 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by mrcamp
If you are just spending a few days in each country, and as you stated that it's just for emergency, I'd suggest just buy a sim card in your first destination and roam with it in the others. EU roamimg rates on a card from an EU country is reasonable.
Thanks for the reply. I'll spend the most time in Italy, which SIM card would you recommend?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:54 am

Sorry, I personally do not have any experience with the carriers in Italy. However, most of the folks at prepaidgsm seem to recommend WIND and TIM. You can check out the European forums there to see what is mostly recommended.

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/italy.html

Thanks for the reply. I'll spend the most time in Italy, which SIM card would you recommend?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Free to a good home--German SIM card

Just returned from Germany with an E-Plus SIM card that has about 13 euros value left on it. Since I won't be returning in the near future, I thought I would give back to Flyer Talk for all the good advice i've gotten.

If you can use this card, just PM me with your snail mail address--first one to respond gets it
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Originally Posted by gretchendz
Just returned from Germany with an E-Plus SIM card that has about 13 euros value left on it. Since I won't be returning in the near future, I thought I would give back to Flyer Talk for all the good advice i've gotten.

If you can use this card, just PM me with your snail mail address--first one to respond gets it
It's taken
Old May 3, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Wind
Old May 11, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
thanks to gretchendz! for the SIM CARD they passed along to me, just for a good karma trade. I'll use it in June for another euro trip and give it a try, and then pass it on to another FT'er.

Thanks again GT
Old May 16, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta, KLM, Luftansa
I've been traveling with a cheap GSM phone for years and have a lot of different sim cards. In my experience, it makes little sense to buy other than Vodafone cards as Vodafone serves nearly all of Europe and much of the Middle east.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: US Plat, AA, Marriott Silver, PC Plat, TSA Full-body scan - Glow in the Dark level
My wife is traveling to both Ireland and Japan this summer. What recommendations do you have for a phone and sim card that could work in both or a phone that will work in both places and separate sim cards.

She would like to be able to call home in the US to talk to the kids and have an emergency number.

Last edited by INDSEAT; May 20, 2010 at 11:41 am Reason: forgot part of what I was going to say
Old May 20, 2010, 3:47 pm

A phone with UMTS 3G 2100 band will work in both countries, the cheapest phones won't have this. An Irish Vodafone SIM would be reasonable value for Ireland. Japan is a bit of an outlier, you'd probably have to get a local SIM there, I doubt if any European SIM would give good value there.
Old May 26, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by INDSEAT
My wife is traveling to both Ireland and Japan this summer. What recommendations do you have for a phone and sim card that could work in both or a phone that will work in both places and separate sim cards.

She would like to be able to call home in the US to talk to the kids and have an emergency number.
O2 is the best value in Ireland, not Vodafone. Vodafone is traditionally the highest of the carriers in IE. However, unless you are planning a long term or repeated visit and since you are travelling to Japan, you might want to consider ekit's passport SIM.

It offers free incoming in both Ireland and Japan.

l results are shown in US Dollars. Please note that currency conversion rates are subject to change.
Calling From Japan to United States $0.49 per minute
Service Fee for Calling From Japan $0.35 per call

Rate to receive a call in Japan on the Global Number FREE
Rate to receive a call in Japan on the US Number $0.19 per minute
Service fee for receiving a call in Japan NO SERVICE FEE

http://www.ekit.com/ekit/MobilePurchase/Sims
Old May 30, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I'll be in Amsterdam and France with my iPhone for two weeks. I'd like to get an unlimited data SIM card. For voice, I only need 30-60 min of semi-cheap time back to the US. Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.