Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How much is a European SIM card, exactly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much is a European SIM card, exactly?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
iPhone 3.0 Beta - 10 day trip to Europe

Last week I was in Sweden and Netherlands and Germany and took the easy way out and bought a 100 MB International Data Package from AT&T for $120 (cancelled that as soon as I came home.) I used about 90 MB and checked data usage regularly on iPhone - easy enough to check. I used GPS / maps when needed hiking in central Sweden and also walking in Amsterdam and all it worked really great and i checked Earthlink e-mail several times a day and the weather etc. but was real careful not to check G-Mail or download file attachments, etc. unless connected to WiFi.

I could have saved some with a SIMM card on a European wireless system card but would have needed time to buy an unlocked phone which would have cost something so overall it worked well enough for me considering my infrequent and relatively short trips to Europe.

Re calling home from Europe (I THINK this right):
* Called AT&T help Line from Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam and just had to dial the 10 digit number: (916) 843-4685
* Calling home from from Netherlands - had to dial: 011 (920)499-5555
* Calling home from Sweden - had to dial: 001 (920)499-5555
- so it was trial and error on calling back to the US.

I also signed up for the AT&T Business Global Voice Plan - $5.99 a month - which saved me about $0.30 a minute. The break on that is obviously 20 minutes of talk time.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I'm surprised that they let you cancel so easily. Historically, this was possible but I have heard reports lately that they require one to keep the plan on the account for six months when adding.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I'm surprised that they let you cancel so easily. Historically, this was possible but I have heard reports lately that they require one to keep the plan on the account for six months when adding.
The woman at the AT&T call center had to put me on hold to check with her supervisor and came back to the phone and told me it was OK to cancel.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Cheap UK prepaid SIM

This looks like a much better deal than the main carriers - http://www.aerobile.com/eshop/uknomi...im10-p-67.html

5p/min to landline, 10p for mobile and 5p to USA - plus 2p/minute to USA via 0800 dial-around.

They appear to be reselling Vodaphone airtime.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
This looks good.

I went to the Numi website Clicking on Buy, I got this at http://www.nomi-mobile.co.uk/buy_nomi.php:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.
Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

I've ignored similar messages before and survived. Not sure about this one, hough.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:48 am

pre-paid card with data?

Hi

Was just wondering, does anyone know of a decent data pre-pay sim for the uk?

Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by theworld
Hi

Was just wondering, does anyone know of a decent data pre-pay sim for the uk?

Thanks!
I bought a "3" data sim for my upcoming trip to the UK. It worked fine while I was in Hong Kong a couple weeks ago (Three was having a promo where you could use your three sim in a on another three network as if you were at home) so I'm hopeful it will work fine in the UK. GBP 10 for 1GB in a month, higher levels a well.

More info here
Old Jun 16, 2009, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I bought a "3" data sim for my upcoming trip to the UK. It worked fine while I was in Hong Kong a couple weeks ago (Three was having a promo where you could use your three sim in a on another three network as if you were at home) so I'm hopeful it will work fine in the UK. GBP 10 for 1GB in a month, higher levels a well.

More info here
Thanks.

Just FYI the Three Like home service which you are referring to actually ends at the end of the month.

I was actually hoping to avoid Three, as I would like to put the Sim card into a 2g phone and Three is the only network where the Sim doesn't work in 2g phones (because Three is a 3g only network).
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Quick follow-up. I went ahead and ordered the SIM from the aerobile site, and it arrived from the east cost via 1st class main in 3 days. They actually called me to see if I wanted to pay extra for priority mail, as I had deliberately set my date of departure to the UK a week early, and they were concerned that 1st class might be cutting it fine. ^ customer service.

This site also has SIMs for various other countries as well, and you can top up at reasonable rates using a US CC billed in $US. Right now they are charging an effective forex rate of 1.7 for top-ups, which given a market rate of ~1.65 is equivalent to 2.9% comission, which somewhat better than I could get using a $ CC to pay in GBP vis the Nomi site.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 6:15 pm

Hello,

if you travel to different countries and don't want to deal with a new card, new credit and new number in each country, our solution - Telna Mobile - provides you with coverage in 170 countries under one US number. There is a $49 annual fee, which means that for $49, the service will work anytime you need it for a year.
Prices for incoming calls start at 29c/min in western europe. This is of course more expensive that buying local simcards, but could be more convenient if it's only for an emergency phone. You also get access to multiple networks in each country you visit, which could make a difference in regards to coverage.

We do not provide data service however at this time.

Jean

Last edited by sbm12; Jun 27, 2009 at 4:46 pm
Old Jun 27, 2009, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by telnamobile
our solution - Telna Mobile -
<mod>
Before anyone bothers to RBP this, it is OK by me.
</mod>
Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:26 am

How much is a European sim card, the title of the thread.

Well in the UK, the competition is so great they are literally giving away the sim cards for free, somehow you can't beat that.

As I exited my train at Victoria from Gatwick, there were people hawking lebara sim cards and touting the cheap international calls. Card was free but required a 5 top up.

Similar thing happened when I exited Eurostar at St. Pancreas.

The other day, as I was walking down Oxford Street just near Bond Street Underground, there was a person simply handing out T Mobile UK sim cards just outside a T Mobile store. Of course the card had no time on it but it came with one of those swipe cards which allow you easily to top up.

In addition, many of the stores will sell free sim cards if you top up for 5 or 10.

Vodafone, O2 and T Mobile have it on their web sites they will post to any UK address up to four free sim cards (use your first hotel address)....sure can't beat free now can you?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:30 pm

I've researched European SIM cards multiple times and I usually just end up leaving my US phone on and using it for text messages and then I use Skype in the hotel room to make calls. Not ideal by any means.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 4:40 pm

Skype is a good SIM alternative (and simpler!)

When I fly to Europe (quite often, actually) I've gotten tired of the cost and hassle with SIMs. I just run Skype off my laptop with an earbud/microphone, and it's really good (not perfect, but really good) quality at almost nothing in cost.

And I think it's free if one's spouse is on Skype on the home computer -- then you can even have a video chat, which is fun (and free, for now)!
Old Jul 17, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by redeyeflier
When I fly to Europe (quite often, actually) I've gotten tired of the cost and hassle with SIMs. I just run Skype off my laptop with an earbud/microphone, and it's really good (not perfect, but really good) quality at almost nothing in cost.

And I think it's free if one's spouse is on Skype on the home computer -- then you can even have a video chat, which is fun (and free, for now)!
You still need an internet connection to use Skype. I have used 3 UK and Vodafone German sim's for my unlocked 3G card in my notebook so I don't have to pay the overpriced hotel internet. Skype worked fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.