Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Free data/trials (control-f to find the actual section for each provider)
  1. Eskimo 1GB 2year - Note: Even though Eskimo is based in Singapore, Singapore is not one of the included countries, probably due to regulatory reasons
  2. RedBullMobile 100MB 1year
  3. Yesim 350 coins 1 year
  4. ExtremeConnect
Device
Be ADVISED: ALL Chinese Mainland and Hong Kong version of EVERY Phone DOES NOT HAVE SUPPORT for eSim
  1. Best device = Apple iPhone
    1. Supports dual eSIM (most android phones w/ eSIM have 1 physical + 1 eSIM slot, but cannot use 2 eSIMs together)
    2. Depending on carrier, supports DSDV (VoLTE voice calls on sim1 gets routed through sim2.data, as though you were doing WiFi calling)
    3. Some androids might support DSDV
  2. esim.me
    1. Allows you to use eSIM on non-native eSIM device
    2. Requires supported/modern phone
    3. Pricey / confusing options
Useful search sites
  1. https://esimdb.com/
  2. https://esims.io/
  3. https://esimradar.com/

eSIM features to consider
  1. Network coverage
    1. which networks are supported (not all eSIM list the networks, and networks can change overtime)
    2. You may want to avoid lower-tier networks or if your phone doesn't support their LTE/5G bands
  2. Amount of data
    1. "Unlimited" data typically has fair usage in ToS/fineprint, eg 0.5-1GB per day or 1GB every 3 days, reset on 4th day midnight. may or may not allow hotspot
    2. Generally data-limited plans allow full-speed w/ hotspot, some offer slow 128kbps after you hit the limit while others cut you off immediately)
  3. length of coverage
    1. eg: 1 day, 3 day, 7 day, 30day, 180day, 365day, noExpiry
  4. Country coverage (single country, regional/EU, global)
  5. Proxy/Latency/IP
    1. Most eSIM providers route you back to their main network, which can incur latency
    2. Your searches will probably geo-locate back to that main network (instead of the country you're in)
    3. Some of your apps may not work (eg Pandora radio only works in USA, won't work in another country)
  6. Data sharing / transfering of eSIM to new device
    1. A few providers allow you to share data, so you can split one plan with multiple eSIM devices (Eskimo, Dent, Vegolink)
    2. Many providers only allow you to activate eSIM profile once. if you have to switch phones, you either lose that data, or have to pay a token amount to get a new eSIM profile with the remaining balance
  7. Price/GB
  8. How data is counted per session
    1. Usually in ToS, usually its rounded up per 1KB/10KB/100KB/1MB increments. Obviously smaller increment is better
  9. Method of activation
    1. Some providers require you to use their app to load the eSIM
    2. Others send you QR code and/or activation URL, for you to manually load onto phone
    3. You need valid network access (via wifi or existing mobile data) to activate eSIM
  10. Expiry countdown
    1. Some providers start counting down expiry once you purchase, or once you activate eSIM onto phone, or once you set foot into country
  11. Speed
    1. generally these eSIM providers get low priority, could be a problem if there is network congestion
    2. you may want to consider a proper provider over an MVNO
  12. Visual Voicemail - it seems depending on the phone and carrier, Visual Voicemail might require a Cellular Connection through your provider or their roaming partners. So, Visual Voicemail might not work if you are using a data-only eSIM with roaming turned off for your "home line"

Unique feature
  1. Ubigi
    1. free eSIM profile. If you don't have valid plan, the eSIM still allows you to connect & browse ubigi.me (and purchase data via creditcard/paypal)
    2. Seems native geo-located IP but still through a regional proxy with some latency (Transactel owns part of Ubigi, and Transactel has their own backend)

Longer term data (180day to no expiry)
  1. Yesim (coins expire 1 year)
  2. Dent (1 year)
  3. Eskimo (2 year)
  4. Esimplus (no expiry)
  5. AIS eSIM2Fly topup (365 day)
  6. 3HK (365 day)

PAYG data
  1. Yesim (varies, deducts from sharedWallet)
  2. Dent (10/GB)
  3. RedBullMobile (varies, need to prepay per GB)

Print Wikipost

eSIM thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Magna
I've asked a few times in an Apple Store and the reps don't seem to know they have eSIM activation cards?! They automatically tell me to go to the carrier.
They have them at the Apple store where I live. I have never had good luck with AT&T. That is why I have T-mobile.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by boerne
just activated the esim on a new pixel 3 xl. On Google Fi. the physical sim slot is open and ready for travel. It does work with a T mobile data only physical sim in the second slot.

another message solution via data is Hangouts.

And there is an app called Pulse that is cross platform you can use for sms.

How does T mobile compare with the Google Fi rates for international data?

I have found the Fi service to be excellent on Android.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by sixpaq
I was able to provision a Three HK prepaid roaming eSIM on a Google Pixel 3a without any issues.

Three's roaming plan is 10 days at 500MB/day, throttled to 128kbps after you hit the daily quota. You can buy it directly from Three's web site for HKD $138 (USD $17.58).

Roaming coverage countries
--
APAC: China, Macau, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam, Australia
N. America: USA, Canada
Europe: United Kingdom, Italy, Sweden, Ireland, Denmark, Austria, France

Some basic questions... how does a esim card work? there is no physical card, correct?

after payment is your phone activated via an email? I assume only newer phone can work with esim, correct?

Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bukzin
Some basic questions... how does a esim card work? there is no physical card, correct?

after payment is your phone activated via an email? I assume only newer phone can work with esim, correct?

Thanks
The SIM circuitry is built into the phone and can be re-programmed with new SIM details.

Some providers have an app that programs the SIM (T-mobile for example). Others email you a QR code with the SIM information encoded and you program the SIM through a system menu.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Miler, Bonvoy Titanium, occasional AA Gold
ESIM solely online

I have AT&T iPhone11 (unlocked) and go to Europe several times a year. My thought was to keep the physical AT&T SIM Card in the phone but get an esim card depending on where I'm travelling. Does this make sense? But I can't figure out how to get one online before I go -- maybe it's not possible? I want esim data with some limited voice. EE supposedly has that for UK (according to Apple support esim support page) but I can't figure out how to get it on their website. Also tried Orange and Vodaphone but similarly confusing. My plan seems simple (1) go to carrier website; (2) sign up for esim (3) pay (4) download QR code and set up esim. Am I missing something obvious?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Probably have to visit an EE store. https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getti...rticle-title-3

Or if you just want data check out Ubigi and sign up online. https://cellulardata.ubigi.com/
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I do the opposite. I keep Verizon as my eSIM and buy a physical SIM abroad. Troubleshooting is easier as all carriers (and their employees) are familiar with physical SIMs whereas eSIMs are still very new.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Anyone an early adopter with o2 UK yet? They say it's coming this month
Old Sep 29, 2019, 9:40 am

It took about 5 hours and 5 SIMs - but I have both AT&T and Verizon simultaneously on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and Apple Watch 5. I had to move AT&T to the eSIM. Verizon had to activate a new nano SIM on an iPhone 8 to get it working.

I will be keeping an eye on how bad the battery life hit is.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:23 pm

I just wanted my AT&T number on the eSIM and have the physical SIM slot empty to be used later. More than 5 hours and many SIMs later my account got flagged so now I have no service. The AT&T rep at the store said to try again in 48 hours. I had to cajole the rep to call AT&T Activation as he couldn't figure out the error message I was getting on 11 Pro. I had to recite the numbers to the phone agent. Meanwhile he was discouraging me from even trying to move the number to the eSIM saying the success rate is less than 50%. I didn't do the eSIM last year because I recall all the problems with the Apple Watch, but I figured after 1 year of dual SIM phones Apple & AT&T would have things coordinated and sorted out. Is the tech that complicated or it's just difficult for 2 companies to work together?? Or maybe the reps aren't really trained. The store rep said he's been with AT&T for 2 years and that he's the most knowledgeable and experienced of the stores reps that day.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 3:05 pm

That sounds really frustrating Magna ! My AT&T in store reps looks a few tries to get it done, but ultimately were able to move my SIM to an eSIM. I wish I knew more about how they did it!

Once they did I had to remove and re-add the cellular plan for my Apple Watch via the Watch app on the phone. Until then the cellular on the watch didn't work.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Seby12
I do the opposite. I keep Verizon as my eSIM and buy a physical SIM abroad. Troubleshooting is easier as all carriers (and their employees) are familiar with physical SIMs whereas eSIMs are still very new.

Hope this helps.

This is what the Apple rep told me to do as well. He was able to have 2 lines on his phone this way, one a personal line, another for business.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by bukzin
How does T mobile compare with the Google Fi rates for international data?

I have found the Fi service to be excellent on Android.
late reply. T mo without any upfare gets 2g reliably, which is good enough for email and maps. If you want or need faster service Google Fi will provide that. However with some international travel last week, T mo connects to the towers much faster than Google Fi, even when they use the same towers. So if a minute or 2 is important T mo may be slightly better.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Is it worth it to try to switch the AT&T plan over to the eSIM, given that AT&T sells locked iPhones that cannot be used on other networks until you pay off the phone and go through the unlock process?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Is it worth it to try to switch the AT&T plan over to the eSIM, given that AT&T sells locked iPhones that cannot be used on other networks until you pay off the phone and go through the unlock process?
I finally got an AT&T rep willing to sort things out and knew what to do, which is basically checking if long strings of numbers match up. Some reps are willing to help, but are not trained to troubleshoot. But too many reps in "Advance Tech Support" know what has to be done, but aren't willing to go through the hassle. Literally, 3 Advance Tech Support reps were supposed to get back to me and none of them did. One said he would call me back in 5 minutes that he just had to move to another computer! We confirmed the phone number he was going to call me back on, even though I know he knows the number I'm calling from, but he never called back. I finally said I'm willing to wait and finally got a rep to set it up. The wait was an hour and it took another hour to finally get set up. Previously, during other attempts it was at least an hour, so I probably put in a total of 10 hours. Either they're unstaffed or many people having issues. It should only take 15 minutes, but the rep screwed it up the first time and it took me 10 hours to get it fixed.

Not sure why they insist we pick up an eSIM card with a QR code. On the iPhone you can manually enter in numbers to activate, but AT&T insist we scan a QR code. And in an AT&T store SIMs costs $5! But in an Apple Store it's free. But many Apple reps don't know they have them?!? And one Apple rep insist they didn't carry them. In the end, it's worth the hours to set up the eSIM and not have to have 2 phones for 2 numbers. . . I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.