Old Jun 5, 2023, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Free data/trials (control-f to find the actual section for each provider)
  1. Eskimo 1GB 2year
  2. RedBullMobile 100MB 1year
  3. Yesim 350 coins 1 year
  4. ExtremeConnect
Device
Be ADVISED: ALL Chinese Mainland and Hong Kong version of EVERY Phone DOES NOT HAVE SUPPORT for eSim
  1. Best device = Apple iPhone
    1. Supports dual eSIM (most android phones w/ eSIM have 1 physical + 1 eSIM slot, but cannot use 2 eSIMs together)
    2. Depending on carrier, supports DSDV (VoLTE voice calls on sim1 gets routed through sim2.data, as though you were doing WiFi calling)
    3. Some androids might support DSDV
  2. esim.me
    1. Allows you to use eSIM on non-native eSIM device
    2. Requires supported/modern phone
    3. Pricey / confusing options
Useful search sites
  1. https://esimdb.com/
  2. https://esims.io/
  3. https://esimradar.com/

eSIM features to consider
  1. Network coverage
    1. which networks are supported (not all eSIM list the networks, and networks can change overtime)
    2. You may want to avoid lower-tier networks or if your phone doesn't support their LTE/5G bands
  2. Amount of data
    1. "Unlimited" data typically has fair usage in ToS/fineprint, eg 0.5-1GB per day or 1GB every 3 days, reset on 4th day midnight. may or may not allow hotspot
    2. Generally data-limited plans allow full-speed w/ hotspot, some offer slow 128kbps after you hit the limit while others cut you off immediately)
  3. length of coverage
    1. eg: 1 day, 3 day, 7 day, 30day, 180day, 365day, noExpiry
  4. Country coverage (single country, regional/EU, global)
  5. Proxy/Latency/IP
    1. Most eSIM providers route you back to their main network, which can incur latency
    2. Your searches will probably geo-locate back to that main network (instead of the country you're in)
    3. Some of your apps may not work (eg Pandora radio only works in USA, won't work in another country)
  6. Data sharing / transfering of eSIM to new device
    1. A few providers allow you to share data, so you can split one plan with multiple eSIM devices (Eskimo, Dent, Vegolink)
    2. Many providers only allow you to activate eSIM profile once. if you have to switch phones, you either lose that data, or have to pay a token amount to get a new eSIM profile with the remaining balance
  7. Price/GB
  8. How data is counted per session
    1. Usually in ToS, usually its rounded up per 1KB/10KB/100KB/1MB increments. Obviously smaller increment is better
  9. Method of activation
    1. Some providers require you to use their app to load the eSIM
    2. Others send you QR code and/or activation URL, for you to manually load onto phone
    3. You need valid network access (via wifi or existing mobile data) to activate eSIM
  10. Expiry countdown
    1. Some providers start counting down expiry once you purchase, or once you activate eSIM onto phone, or once you set foot into country
  11. Speed
    1. generally these eSIM providers get low priority, could be a problem if there is network congestion
    2. you may want to consider a proper provider over an MVNO
  12. Visual Voicemail - it seems depending on the phone and carrier, Visual Voicemail might require a Cellular Connection through your provider or their roaming partners. So, Visual Voicemail might not work if you are using a data-only eSIM with roaming turned off for your "home line"

Unique feature
  1. Ubigi
    1. free eSIM profile. If you don't have valid plan, the eSIM still allows you to connect & browse ubigi.me (and purchase data via creditcard/paypal)
    2. Seems native geo-located IP but still through a regional proxy with some latency (Transactel owns part of Ubigi, and Transactel has their own backend)

Longer term data (180day to no expiry)
  1. Yesim (coins expire 1 year)
  2. Dent (1 year)
  3. Eskimo (2 year)
  4. Esimplus (no expiry)
  5. AIS eSIM2Fly topup (365 day)
  6. 3HK (365 day)

PAYG data
  1. Yesim (varies, deducts from sharedWallet)
  2. Dent (10/GB)
  3. RedBullMobile (varies, need to prepay per GB)

Print Wikipost

eSIM thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by freecia
I haven't used the loaded data, yet. 30 days would be 3 10-day plans (or 30 1 day plans), though the 10-day plan doesn't have to be used sequentially. It roams on AT&T in the US so you're welcome to try it ahead of time.

Another FT'ers 3HK roaming in JP experience here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30953289-post489.html
So if it's not used sequentially, are you telling me that I can pick the days that I'll be using data? If so how?

You've activated the data, but just waiting to find a day to use it?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
So if it's not used sequentially, are you telling me that I can pick the days that I'll be using data? If so how?

You've activated the data, but just waiting to find a day to use it?
The FAQ states https://web.three.com.hk/esim/faq_en.pdf
"Customer can enjoy 10-Day roaming day pass in designated destinations within 90 days after eSIM activation.
10-Day pass can be consumed continuously or on a daily basis separately. Customer can enjoy the Roaming Data Day Pass in various destinations while travel on the same day.  Roaming Data Day Pass will be terminated on the respective end day of Hong Kong time 23:59 automatically and there is no pro-rata calculation even the Pass is effective in the middle of the day."

FAQ is also in small text at the bottom of this page: https://www.three.com.hk/eSIMMall/ch...x.jsp?lang=eng. Unlimited Data is higher speed data 500MB/day as noted by sixpaq and is stated in daily fair usage policy at the bottom of Terms & Conditions https://web.three.com.hk/esim/tnc.pdf. After that it gets throttled to min 128k.

Yes, I activated a 3HK esim and haven't used esim mobile data yet. I confirmed it latched to AT&T on roaming for several hours without enabling mobile data on esim. I didn't need it on my last trip and the 10-day pass will still be valid for the duration for my next trip. If I have the option, I prefer to activate and test top up reasonably ahead of time as top up/reload can take a while on different carriers (local acct only, topup resellers down, not available outside country, etc). Chalk it up to lessons learned with buying plenty of local and roaming sims and keeping some of them active.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by freecia; Aug 19, 2019 at 8:37 pm
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Anyone have a recommendation for a carrier I can port my US T-Mobile number to so I don't lose it while abroad for an extended period?

Problem is, I'm already out of the country. Is Google Voice the only good choice here?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:34 am

Voip.ms is the most widely recommended option, and the one I use as well.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:38 pm

Curious as to why GV won't work for you?

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Anyone have a recommendation for a carrier I can port my US T-Mobile number to so I don't lose it while abroad for an extended period?

Problem is, I'm already out of the country. Is Google Voice the only good choice here?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by PackingIt
Curious as to why GV won't work for you?

It's probably my best option. I already use my primary Google account for another GV number but I suppose I can open another Google account and port my TMO number there?

Or is it possible to have two active GV numbers on one account? The docs are unclear.

Seems like I would transfer my TMO number to GV at which point my existing GV number would expire within 90 days, but I could pay $20 to make it permanent. Can anyone confirm from their own experience?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:56 pm

Before going too much further with this, since this doesn't really sound specific to eSIMs, perhaps start a new thread?

Originally Posted by txflyer77
It's probably my best option. I already use my primary Google account for another GV number but I suppose I can open another Google account and port my TMO number there?

Or is it possible to have two active GV numbers on one account? The docs are unclear.

Seems like I would transfer my TMO number to GV at which point my existing GV number would expire within 90 days, but I could pay $20 to make it permanent. Can anyone confirm from their own experience?
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by PackingIt
Before going too much further with this, since this doesn't really sound specific to eSIMs, perhaps start a new thread?
D'oh, thanks. I thought I was in the TMO global roaming thread.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
T-mobile has finally has given Esim to postpaid plans. You have to call support or go into a store to get it activated. I was on the phone for 40 minutes and the person could not get it activated. I have to go to the store. YMMV
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:01 am

Why couldn't eSIM hardware copy the data from a physical SIM? Is there any reason this couldn't work? It would be a nice feature.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Well, went to a t-mobile store and spent three hours trying to get the Esim in place. The person was at the store was very helpful , but it was the tech support who didn't know what they were doing. Finally got it done.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
Why couldn't eSIM hardware copy the data from a physical SIM? Is there any reason this couldn't work? It would be a nice feature.
I think it has to do with the fact that a SIM card is really a smart card, which performs encryption/decryption functions on-board. You can't really copy one smart card to another smart card. In case of physical SIM cards, your provider would have to issue you a new card and re-assign the phone number to it. In case of an eSIM, it will have to be reprogrammed. What I don't know is whether for each wireless profile, eSIM uses a different set of key pairs and different ICCID.
richarddd likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by powerlifter
Well, went to a t-mobile store and spent three hours trying to get the Esim in place. The person was at the store was very helpful , but it was the tech support who didn't know what they were doing. Finally got it done.
Thanks; I will try in my local T-mo store this weekend.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:24 pm

There's been a lot of great international roaming conversation here. I didn't see any discussion of the other use case for dual SIMs - having two phone numbers on the same device. My employer doesn't maintain any telephones at all. The expectation is we have a mobile number on our business cards, email signatures, etc. I'd like to get a second line added for work, so I can keep my 20+ year old personal number "clean". Any experiences with this?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:33 pm

Is using Google voice an option for you?

Originally Posted by Mellified;[url=tel:31531591
31531591[/url]]There's been a lot of great international roaming conversation here. I didn't see any discussion of the other use case for dual SIMs - having two phone numbers on the same device. My employer doesn't maintain any telephones at all. The expectation is we have a mobile number on our business cards, email signatures, etc. I'd like to get a second line added for work, so I can keep my 20+ year old personal number "clean". Any experiences with this?
ajGoes likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.