Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2023, 7:34 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Originally Posted by frappant
If Sony XM4 is the baseline ANC, does that mean the B&O and the B&W has better ANC than the Sony?

I wouldn't think that would be the conventional wisdom.
For me, I don't notice a huge difference in the levels of ANC. The music and bass sounds better on the B&O and B&W. All 3 cans are very capable,
Old Aug 29, 2023, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by frappant
So I've been flying with AirPods Pro for the past couple of years, because of the small packing footprint.

Very limited experience with over the ear headphones. I have a pair of Plantronics. It's big and while noise cancellation is okay, I don't think it's using the mic arrays of current ANC headphones.

Besides size, it pinched my ear lobes so I couldn't wear them for more than about 4 hours at a time, so for all the battery life, my use was limited to the battery cycle of AirPod Pros anyways.

Is there a fitting guide for over the ear ANC cans? Since most stuff is ordered online these days, I don't know where you'd go to try out the Sonys. I suppose Bose stores would have demo units.

I don't know if my ears are bigger than normal but the bigger cans would also result in a bigger packing footprint too, I would guess. I notice most cans are round now, not oval.

Has anyone had luck with comfort as far as these things not pinching your lobes to the point where you can't use them all the way on intercontinental flights or even coast to coast flights?
If you like AirPods Pro, I would strongly recommend AirPods Max. I thought they were ridiculous when they first came out (especially at that price point) but I switched to them from QC35s a couple of years ago and honestly think they are the best solution, especially if you are already using most of the Apple Ecosystem.

The ANC is excellent (both on planes and as someone who WFH with a toddler -- I can verify that the ANC is very good for both uses) and I've found them to be very comfortable for wearing all day (again both WFH and for long flights). You just have to buy either an AirFly or a cable to connect to IFE, at least until more airlines roll out Bluetooth connections in their IFE.
Igene likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 2:40 pm

the Sony WH-1000XM5 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Bluetooth Headphones (Silver) can occasionally be found for $229 refurb.
they are great
Old Sep 2, 2023, 6:36 pm

Have some long flights coming up in Q4, so picked up the Bose QC Earbuds II. While I've never really explored the ANC headphone world, they do work! Though, the connection isn't as efficient and seamless as Apple's earbuds (I use an iPhone), they connect well enough, I suppose. Just have to reset every once in a while, which I don't recall ever having to do with the Apple ones.

Anyway, sounds good and the ANC really does work. I'm kind of surprised, since I sort assumed it was just all marketing fluff.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:14 am

For some background, see my June 9 post.

Used my QCll buds for two more trips this summer (Germany & Alberta). The sound on these continues to amaze me.

On the YYZ-FRA flight, something happened where they wouldn’t connect to my iPhone. I suspect it had something to do with airplane mode. When we got to our hotel in Frankfurt I was able to re-pair and it was fine after that. One thing I’ve implemented as a (sort of) fail-safe is to only use my iPad Mini with the Bose. The iPad doesn’t have to go into airplane mode, and I haven’t had any connection issues. Plus, it eliminates the super annoying “Turn off airplane mode or use wi-fi to access data” pop-up messages.

As others have reported, the QCll, when it works, is stellar. It’s the apparent finickey software that can mess things up. I truly wish Apple would do a complete redesign of the AirPods Pro. They just do not stay in my ears. The QCll is stable and comfortable, and I’ve never had one come loose (though I’m only using for travel, or on my sofa). For me, they’re worth it, if you can get on it sale.
Visconti likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:30 am

Thanks for the heads up!

I suspect my connection issues likely had something to do with the airplane mode and/or constant switches to telephone mode. I have had to repair them several times and, while slightly annoying, they seem to be ok for a while after the repairing. For this price, I would hope Bose would fix any permanent pairing issues should they arise.

However, as you've said, they are absolutely amazing! I was quite frankly stunned by the effectiveness of the noise canceling. I mean, it really does work! You put them on and voila, no more noise. It's amazing and it sounds great. I'll keep in mind the iPad suggestion and may resort that should it give me issues on longer flights abroad.

I picked them up for $249 usd? Not cheap, but it's ok, I suppose.

PS - As with me, these Bose are much more comfortable than the Apple earbuds. I can wear these all day and they seem to fit my ears perfectly--it's almost as if they were made for me.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
PS - As with me, these Bose are much more comfortable than the Apple earbuds. I can wear these all day and they seem to fit my ears perfectly--it's almost as if they were made for me.
Agreed. These are the most comfortable buds I’ve ever owned. That, plus the ANC mean I can forget any contemplation of ever buying cans.

One thing I forgot to mention … When you’re using them, try rotating them around a bit. I’ve found even a slight shift improves the ANC. I can get mine tuned to the point where I don’t hear the aircraft engines at all (with music playing).
Visconti likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Bokehman
Agreed. These are the most comfortable buds I’ve ever owned. That, plus the ANC mean I can forget any contemplation of ever buying cans.

One thing I forgot to mention … When you’re using them, try rotating them around a bit. I’ve found even a slight shift improves the ANC. I can get mine tuned to the point where I don’t hear the aircraft engines at all (with music playing).
Me too. When I have them on with music, they literally drown out the world. Before my purchase I recall thinking when reading Bose's "world's best noise cancelling" earbuds was quite an assertion. LOL...To their credit, they put money where mouth is.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 11:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I damaged my QC20's in a recent trip. Am so disappointed to find out they are discontinued and cant by directly from Bose anymore. I have the QC II Earbuds and they are "OK" but nothing like the QC20's as far as comfort. The wireless capability is good but with airplane entertainment systems that really doesn't work. I also cant sleep very well with the QC II Earbuds.

So, I am curious if anyone has suggestions for a reliable site to get some refurbished QC20's? Most of what I see on Ebay looks sketchy. Amazon looks legit but curious if anyone has any experience.
really late reply but I loved my QC-20s that I did buy a replacement set from a retailer on eBay and took a chance on them. They were perfect and genuine, still sealed and brand new. I saw they were discontinued and bought the new set as a backup for when the old set eventually ages out.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 6:55 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
really late reply but I loved my QC-20s that I did buy a replacement set from a retailer on eBay and took a chance on them. They were perfect and genuine, still sealed and brand new. I saw they were discontinued and bought the new set as a backup for when the old set eventually ages out.
Thanks for the info. Ironically enough, I just got my refurbished QC-20's from Amazon over the weekend. They look and operate like new. I have seen some Bluetooth to 3.5mm transmitters out there but they seem to get some mixed reviews....thew Airfly ones I have seen lately seem to be better though. Overall, I like me Bose wireless earbuds but the QC-20's fit me much better and works easily with equipment that only have a 3.5mm output.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Bose have just released Quiet Comfort Ultra buds and cans.

Want.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 4:10 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Bose have just released Quiet Comfort Ultra buds and cans.

Want.

Quick takes from CNET on all 3 models.Read in CNET: https://apple.news/A_vrdS2RLQqa1zsXaaZR2AQ
Old Sep 16, 2023, 6:28 pm

So the new buds have wireless charging … if you buy the additional case. Jeez.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 5:03 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
This is kind of useful, Rtings.com quantifies the noise cancellation by listing the attenuation measurements in a nice table.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/te...passive-active

As expected, the Sony and the Bose products are at the top but there are a couple of bargains in there price-wise, though the overall sound quality may be mixed in the less expensive products.
EAJuggalo likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:32 pm

I purchased the Sony WH-1000XM5 a couple of months ago and been happy with it so far. Very comfortable and had them on continuously on a 12 hours flight without discomfort. Audio quality is decent and can be tailored using the equalizer on the phone app. Noise cancelling worked well and the quick ambient sound mode allowed me to talk to the FAs without taking them off. Touchpad works well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.