Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Old Jan 19, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
So I bought the QC2s. Will report back once I've road tested them.

Some of the reviews rate the Apple Pods Pro2 as marginally better however, as I'm not an iPhone user, I won't get to use all the features.

I've been impressed with Bose in the past, I have a pair of NC700s which are amazing however, I find I only use them for sitting and listening. If I'm doing anything active, I need buds.

I have both headsets and use them both for different reasons. The like them both.

The nothing comes close to the Noise cancellation on the QC2. I have compared them on a bunch of diffenr Bose products and Sony XM5

for noise cancellation the best of any headset is qc2.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
So I bought the QC2s. Will report back once I've road tested them.

Some of the reviews rate the Apple Pods Pro2 as marginally better however, as I'm not an iPhone user, I won't get to use all the features.

I've been impressed with Bose in the past, I have a pair of NC700s which are amazing however, I find I only use them for sitting and listening. If I'm doing anything active, I need buds.

I have both headsets and use them both for different reasons. The like them both.

The nothing comes close to the Noise cancellation on the QC2. I have compared them on a bunch of diffenr Bose products and Sony XM5

Old Jan 20, 2023, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
I'm currently using the WF-1000XM4 and the AirPods Pro2 and trying to decide which ones to keep.
So far I haven't used either one on a flight, but in daily usage I like the Sony ones better. While not a huge difference, I think the noise cancelling is better in my home office. Reading previous comments in this thread it seems like the on-plane noise canceling is pretty good as well.

If noise canceling was the only factor, it'd probably be an easier choice. What I haven't quite figured out is the battery life. For a 10-hour flight, how many times do the WF-1000XM4 and APP2 need to be recharged?
Another thing is that I use iPhone and iPad, and the APP2 integration experience is pretty nice...
Old Jan 21, 2023, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by feysul

So i fired up the QC2s. The noise cancelling is amazing but I'm more impressed with the richness of the sound. Even the bass is good.

I need to spend more time with the fit. I automatically put on the large tips but I'm not sure I need them.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:06 am

Has anyone used both the WF-1000XM4 and the QC2? If so, how would you grade for comfort? I own the WF, and while the ANC and sound are good, I find they make my ears a bit sore after an hour, or so. I’ve steered clear of Bose, as every single product I’ve owned has fallen apart. However, my QC20 (the “old” wired ones) are the most comfortable set of buds I’ve ever owned, but it’s ANC is not the best on a flight. I have to really twist the WF to get it to stay put.

If the QC2 could get close to the QC20 for comfort, I’d reconsider.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bokehman
Has anyone used both the WF-1000XM4 and the QC2? If so, how would you grade for comfort? I own the WF, and while the ANC and sound are good, I find they make my ears a bit sore after an hour, or so. Ive steered clear of Bose, as every single product Ive owned has fallen apart. However, my QC20 (the old wired ones) are the most comfortable set of buds Ive ever owned, but its ANC is not the best on a flight. I have to really twist the WF to get it to stay put.

If the QC2 could get close to the QC20 for comfort, Id reconsider.
Ive had my QC2s in for several hours today. Much more comfortable than my Samsung buds. I think adjusting the tips and fit band will give me an even more snug fit.

I've not owned bose buds before so can't give a precise comparison.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Earbuds Options

Im thinking of getting a pair of true wireless earbuds and have narrowed it down thus. I dont really care about noise cancelling just good sound and the ability to make calls. Any thoughts?
  • Grado GT220: I have a pair of wired Grado headphones (SR80e) and love them. I would love to recreate that sound in earbuds. These dont do noise canceling (dont care) but I hear they can be a little uncomfortable and the LED flashes while in use, which seems like it would be annoying.
  • Bose QC2: Bose always seems to make nice products.
  • Sony WF-1000XM4: generally top rated across many sites. I have a pair of over-ear XM4s and frankly I dont like the sound signature that much.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Im thinking of getting a pair of true wireless earbuds and have narrowed it down thus. I dont really care about noise cancelling just good sound and the ability to make calls. Any thoughts?
  • Grado GT220: I have a pair of wired Grado headphones (SR80e) and love them. I would love to recreate that sound in earbuds. These dont do noise canceling (dont care) but I hear they can be a little uncomfortable and the LED flashes while in use, which seems like it would be annoying.
  • Bose QC2: Bose always seems to make nice products.
  • Sony WF-1000XM4: generally top rated across many sites. I have a pair of over-ear XM4s and frankly I dont like the sound signature that much.
Ive not had Sony XM4s to compare however, I'm very happy with my QC2s. Fiddle with the setting on the app and you can tailor the sound to your taste. I like a little more bass, a little richer sound and the Bose really deliver.

That said, the USP for Bose is the quality of the ANC. You could go far cheaper and get a decent sound output if ANC isnt important to you.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Bokehman
Has anyone used both the WF-1000XM4 and the QC2? If so, how would you grade for comfort?
Personally, XM4 were a little too close to the middle of the ear and sometimes would touch. This has been fixed in the XM5s though, I can wear those now forever. To answer your question QC2 is better ime
Old Mar 6, 2023, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wound up getting the WF-1000XM4. They sound good for tiny Bluetooth earbuds. Phone calls also sound good. I like the room audio passthrough mode so you can hear what's going on around you if you want. It was hard to figure out how to get them to fit in my ears. I needed the small inserts (it comes with S/M/L) and you have to insert them then twist. A new firmware update from last week enabled them to connect to two devices simultaneously, like the WM-1000XM4 headphones have done for a while.

The only annoyance is that, unlike my 1st gen Airpods, you can't see the case's battery level without going into the headphones app.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
the AirPod Pro tips are those silicon earplug type. For me they don't seal right and aren't too comfortable. For other earbuds I've used over the years (Shure and Etymotics) I always bought Comply foam tips and those have, for me, been super comfortable.

as soon as I found them for the APP I bought a set and haven't used anything but these since. They are comfortable, I can wear them for hours without taking them out, they keep the AirPods in my ear even when jogging or working out, seal the ear canal properly, and still fit in the case without having to take them off.

https://a.co/d/cIgeGwn
I was a long time holdout but eventually succumbed and got a similar deal on APP 2. Like you I now use them on a daily basis. The noise cancellation is really superb - blocks noise in shared office space, street noise and at NHL games where I get >90db alerts. Though for biking/dog walking/outdoor sports I prefer my Rayban Stories which provide great sound but no noise cancellation (just as well as I want to hear approaching vehicles, etc)

Rayban Stories

However I am a bit leery of sleeping in the APP as it is fairly easy for them to pop out of the ear and then lost. So I prefer my Sony XB-400 when sleeping on planes. There is no active noise cancellation, but the snug fit reduces airplane noise and they also serve as a backup when my APPs run out of juice.

Sony XB-400 Sony XB-400
Old Mar 9, 2023, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Boraxo

However I am a bit leery of sleeping in the APP as it is fairly easy for them to pop out of the ear and then lost. So I prefer my Sony XB-400 when sleeping on planes. There is no active noise cancellation, but the snug fit reduces airplane noise and they also serve as a backup when my APPs run out of juice.

Sony XB-400
checkout some of the APP2 ear tips, ear hooks, etc.. you could get some just for the sleeping times.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 1:06 am

Programs: World of Hyatt: Globalist, Aeroplan: 25k
I also recommend the Bose QC2. Unfortunately, I tend to get warm on planes (and that triggers a migraine for me), so I can't wear the headphones for too long
Old Mar 16, 2023, 3:57 pm

Another orphan of QC20.

What's the verdict? Which current model (in ear) is the best path forward in NC and ear comfort while wearing and side sleeping? And how these wireless units connect to the IFE 3.5mm?

The Bose trade-in offer is about 10% discount over retail price. Not worth the waiting time and effort for the return shipping.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 4:46 am

A few months ago, richarddd said “I'll trade gladly some amount of noise cancelling for more comfort.” That really got me to reconsidering the QC2. I had mixed thoughts on it, as all my Bose products have fallen apart, at some point. I’m on the Bose mailing list—maybe they’ll put them on sale. Realistically, I didn’t hold out much hope. Typically the lower prices are only on refurbs, from what I’ve seen. Suprisingly, I actually got an email that they were on sale. I put in an order right away.

For comfort, these are much better than my WFs. They’re very easy to install. I did have to order the XL tips for my right ear. I’m not sure if the ANC is any better than the WFs, but the comfort makes it worth it. I really had to fiddle with the WFs, and they often felt like they were going to fall out. The QC2 has a nice bassy—but not too bassy—sound right out of the box. Others have said how similar they are to over ear cans, and I can agree with that. I also own a pair of Soundcore Q30s, and the QC2 is very close.

I will still likely pack my old QC20s when travelling. They’re indispensable for trying to get sleep in noisy hotel rooms.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.