Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
I’m not a handyman. Didn’t even know that was possible.

I was eyeing the XM4 really hard, I just dragged my feet a day too long. They were $228 on Amazon and Best Buy for a few days. Got home from a trip, logged in, back to full retail well over $300. I never was able to happen upon a store to demo the Sony while they were on sale.

I thought about the APP2, my other half has regular AP and she likes them. Easy integration, pair multiple Apple buds to one device. I cannot stand the stock airpod tip. Hurts my ears so much, whether it be the free ones that used to come with iPhones or the AP. No way to try out an APP before I buy, it looks better but idk.
the AirPod Pro tips are those silicon earplug type. For me they don't seal right and aren't too comfortable. For other earbuds I've used over the years (Shure and Etymotics) I always bought Comply foam tips and those have, for me, been super comfortable.

as soon as I found them for the APP I bought a set and haven't used anything but these since. They are comfortable, I can wear them for hours without taking them out, they keep the AirPods in my ear even when jogging or working out, seal the ear canal properly, and still fit in the case without having to take them off.

https://a.co/d/cIgeGwn
Old Nov 17, 2022, 11:51 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
An update, though

After trying and trying to like the QC45 in various conditions, I just couldn’t make it work. Sending them back, thanks to Costco’s easy and generous policy. It came down to myriad factors and frankly I was just disappointed in pretty much every aspect.

*Light and comfortable at first, but eventually notice the discomfort of clamping

*Feeling hot and sweaty underneath the ear cups, I haven’t really used over-ear but it adds to the aforementioned discomfort and I guess it’s not for me

*Seems like Bose kneecapped features via software, chiefly ANC. Apparently every product but the 45 can adjust the ANC levels, but QC45 is just Quiet or Aware. On top of that, it seems like quiet does next to nothing. In a quiet room at home it’s silent (with or without music). In a busy room or aircraft cabin, the ANC seemed to do nearly nothing unless music was playing. Adaptive ANC (whatever it’s called) got on my nerves. Crackling with sudden noise like engine spool up, swooshing sounds when air pressure from the gaspers changes. And nerfing the music share feature from the old Bose app, lame.

I really wanted to like these but I just couldn’t. Maybe my head or ears just aren’t the right shape and size. Glasses of any size interfere more than I expected. The other day at work, my first officer actually had a Bose 700 rigged with a mic and he let me try it for a few minutes. Good gravy it was noisy like my QC45.

I ended up getting the QC buds 2. So far only tested at home, 1 short flight, and 1 Uber ride. But the consensus is mostly good. I’m still fiddling with the ear tips and seals, to find what’s comfortable. And there have been a couple weird hiccups where it just won’t connect or drops altogether. But these buds 2 seem to be the closest replacement to my beloved QC20.

Yesterday I was walking through the terminal and noticed a Sony demo in one of those overpriced tech shops. I tried the XM4 and really liked it. I didn’t want a repeat of the QC45 and I had settled on getting the buds anyway.Of course for fun, just 5 minutes ago, I just checked on the price. As fate would have it, Best Buy and Amazon have it back at $228. Womp Womp. Also curious, maybe just a bit of Baader-Meinhoff but it seems everywhere I turn, I see Sony XMs. Terminals, aircraft cabins, random guy waiting at a crosswalk in Burbank that we just drove by in our Uber.

another TLDR: the QC45/over ear headset just wasn’t for me. Maybe it’s my head, maybe I never got a good fit, but ANC seemed nonexistent unless audio was playing (Quite often I used the QC20 just to cancel out noise). QC buds 2 are a hit so far despite a few hiccups, but after 7-8 years of QC20 and a lifetime of listening to earbuds, I guess the answer was in front of me all along. Clearly the QC45/35/25 is a great headset for a lot of folks. Just not for me. If you’re into in-ear, get the QC buds 2.
KRSW and HawaiiCalls like this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
the AirPod Pro tips are those silicon earplug type. For me they don't seal right and aren't too comfortable. For other earbuds I've used over the years (Shure and Etymotics) I always bought Comply foam tips and those have, for me, been super comfortable.

as soon as I found them for the APP I bought a set and haven't used anything but these since. They are comfortable, I can wear them for hours without taking them out, they keep the AirPods in my ear even when jogging or working out, seal the ear canal properly, and still fit in the case without having to take them off.

https://a.co/d/cIgeGwn
Oh that’s very cool, no idea aftermarket existed for AirPods. My aviation headset I use at work comes standard issue with Comply tips, they go deeper in the canal than the linked ones.
KRSW likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 12:47 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
An update, though

After trying and trying to like the QC45 in various conditions, I just couldn’t make it work. Sending them back, thanks to Costco’s easy and generous policy. It came down to myriad factors and frankly I was just disappointed in pretty much every aspect.

*Light and comfortable at first, but eventually notice the discomfort of clamping

*Feeling hot and sweaty underneath the ear cups, I haven’t really used over-ear but it adds to the aforementioned discomfort and I guess it’s not for me

*Seems like Bose kneecapped features via software, chiefly ANC. Apparently every product but the 45 can adjust the ANC levels, but QC45 is just Quiet or Aware. On top of that, it seems like quiet does next to nothing. In a quiet room at home it’s silent (with or without music). In a busy room or aircraft cabin, the ANC seemed to do nearly nothing unless music was playing. Adaptive ANC (whatever it’s called) got on my nerves. Crackling with sudden noise like engine spool up, swooshing sounds when air pressure from the gaspers changes. And nerfing the music share feature from the old Bose app, lame.

I really wanted to like these but I just couldn’t. Maybe my head or ears just aren’t the right shape and size. Glasses of any size interfere more than I expected. The other day at work, my first officer actually had a Bose 700 rigged with a mic and he let me try it for a few minutes. Good gravy it was noisy like my QC45.

I ended up getting the QC buds 2. So far only tested at home, 1 short flight, and 1 Uber ride. But the consensus is mostly good. I’m still fiddling with the ear tips and seals, to find what’s comfortable. And there have been a couple weird hiccups where it just won’t connect or drops altogether. But these buds 2 seem to be the closest replacement to my beloved QC20.

Yesterday I was walking through the terminal and noticed a Sony demo in one of those overpriced tech shops. I tried the XM4 and really liked it. I didn’t want a repeat of the QC45 and I had settled on getting the buds anyway.Of course for fun, just 5 minutes ago, I just checked on the price. As fate would have it, Best Buy and Amazon have it back at $228. Womp Womp. Also curious, maybe just a bit of Baader-Meinhoff but it seems everywhere I turn, I see Sony XMs. Terminals, aircraft cabins, random guy waiting at a crosswalk in Burbank that we just drove by in our Uber.

another TLDR: the QC45/over ear headset just wasn’t for me. Maybe it’s my head, maybe I never got a good fit, but ANC seemed nonexistent unless audio was playing (Quite often I used the QC20 just to cancel out noise). QC buds 2 are a hit so far despite a few hiccups, but after 7-8 years of QC20 and a lifetime of listening to earbuds, I guess the answer was in front of me all along. Clearly the QC45/35/25 is a great headset for a lot of folks. Just not for me. If you’re into in-ear, get the QC buds 2.
Just get the Sony. Life's too short to compromise on something you use so often.

Btw, Sony's amazing naming scheme means xm4 could refer to either the headphones (XH) or the earbuds (XF), which were you looking at?
Old Nov 18, 2022, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Dave510
Just get the Sony. Life's too short to compromise on something you use so often.

Btw, Sony's amazing naming scheme means xm4 could refer to either the headphones (XH) or the earbuds (XF), which were you looking at?
Ah right, genius naming haha. XH headphones. If I could do it over again, I’d jump on the XM4 headphone on sale. But who knows, maybe I’d have ultimately ended up with the Bose QC buds2. Despite the finicky connection on last night’s flight for a few minutes, I feel the fit and ANC is leaps ahead of the QC45. But in 5 years when I’m in the market for a replacement, bids or headphone, I’m going to look at Sony first.
Dave510 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The Sony XM4 is currently around 220€ on several Amazon sites (Black Friday) - a very good deal, if you're after top of the class ANC. The XM5 is a hundred more, not so good deal, IMO. If you are after good sound quality, look elsewhere.

I currently have B&W PX7, which has way better SQ at the cost of a somewhat weaker ANC.

Over the years I had Bose QC20, several versions of the Sony - sold or gifted them all.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 3:47 am

I just upgraded from my original Apple AirPod Pros to the new, second edition. The noise cancellation is noticeably better, but I do not know if this will translate to a better experience while flying. Has anyone flown with them yet, and if so, how did they perform?

They were $50 off at Target, $199.99 on this weekend I believe. I bought them Black Friday. My older Pros suffered from a bad charge connection intermittently due to the right one being run over by a shopping cart. I bought them several years ago, and they were showing lower battery life also.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 6:35 pm

Bluetooth inflight?

I, too, loved the Bose QC20i wired NC earbuds. I wore out two pair over the years. Also, I didn't have to worry about losing an earbud inflight since they were wired.
I have been using the Bose wireless ANC first version for almost a year and I really like them. Due to their size, they are not the best when sleeping on one's side, but otherwise they work great for me. Does anyone have experience connecting to AA's Business Class IFE with Bluetooth earbuds? Is Bluetooth available on AA's airplanes? Thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 3:41 am

I finally had a chance to use my Sony WF-1000XM4 earbuds on a recent flight. These were the best so far of the few I’ve tried … better than my aging Bose QC-20s and way better than my Beats Fit Pros. They can be a fit finicky in the ear. I found moving my jaw around (which I’m sure looked odd) got them seated better. I can wear them for about 2 hours before my ears get sore, so probably not good for a red eye. It’s sometimes hard to tell just how much noise they’re blocking out until you take them out, then you realize the aircraft is pretty darned loud.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Bokehman
I finally had a chance to use my Sony WF-1000XM4 earbuds on a recent flight. These were the best so far of the few I’ve tried … better than my aging Bose QC-20s and way better than my Beats Fit Pros. They can be a fit finicky in the ear. I found moving my jaw around (which I’m sure looked odd) got them seated better. I can wear them for about 2 hours before my ears get sore, so probably not good for a red eye. It’s sometimes hard to tell just how much noise they’re blocking out until you take them out, then you realize the aircraft is pretty darned loud.
I'll trade gladly some amount of noise cancelling for more comfort. I can comfortably wear Apple Airpods Pro and the wired QC20s for extended periods and even sleep (or get into sleeping position) with them. A bit more noise cancelling isn't worth ear pain or a finicky fit for me.

I totally agree about not realizing how well they're working until you take them out.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
I liked the QC-20 so much for long hauls that I bought a second set as a backup for when my current pair eventually fails.

for short flights though AirPods Pro v2 are some of the best I've ever used.
I still like my QC-20. I can wear them to sleep on lie-flats with no problem since I'm a side sleeper.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I have a pair of Samsung Galaxy Buds2. They're bloody awful so I'm thinking of getting rid and purchasing a pair of Bose QuietComforts. The 2's are £100 more than the 1's on Amazon. Are the 2's £100 better than the 1's in your opinion?
dougzz likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I have a pair of Samsung Galaxy Buds2. They're bloody awful so I'm thinking of getting rid and purchasing a pair of Bose QuietComforts. The 2's are £100 more than the 1's on Amazon. Are the 2's £100 better than the 1's in your opinion?
100%. I have both. The noise cancellation is incredible. Of all the headsets I have the 2’s are the BEST. Nothing compares
USA_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by feysul
100%. I have both. The noise cancellation is incredible. Of all the headsets I have the 2’s are the BEST. Nothing compares
I guess im going to need to find another £100!

in all seriousness, I appreciate the post, makes the decision on what to purchase easier and not 2nd guess it. Cheers!
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I bought the QC2s. Will report back once I've road tested them.

Some of the reviews rate the Apple Pods Pro2 as marginally better however, as I'm not an iPhone user, I won't get to use all the features.

I've been impressed with Bose in the past, I have a pair of NC700s which are amazing however, I find I only use them for sitting and listening. If I'm doing anything active, I need buds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.