Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Instant invites for Fi was available for Cyber Monday

Otherwise, for one of our most recent request/sign-up for Fi's "Invite" - email with the notice that Sign-up arrived via email's inbox about a week later.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
They just need to make it available to all comers and iPhones.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:37 pm

if you dont want the nexus, there was a reddit thread that says you can activate on a nexus and then put the sim in an iphone and it works..
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:37 pm

link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/c..._in_an_iphone/
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Two notes:
* I installed Fi Spy a couple weeks ago, and when traveling to Montreal and Quebec City this week, changed the provider preferences to Auto/Auto/Auto (from T-Mobile/Sprint/Auto). That was apparently the wrong answer, though it didn't dawn on me until the day we were leaving, because I'd lose my data connection every time I moved from WIFI to cell tower. I guess I should just leave it as is on future trips out of the country.
* Did anyone else get a Christmas present from Google in the last few days? I won't give away the surprise, but thought it was a nice gesture.
I just received my Christmas present today! Very fun and I look forward to...exploring the possibilities.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:50 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
I've been using it for about a month now in my 6p and haven't had any issues, traveled to Liberia Costa Rica, landed and did not have cell service, may have shut it down around the airport that late at night, other than that I'm used to having data while on call which I believe T-mobile is trying to push out. My bill for December is going to 5.06, used a shade over 1gb of data last month.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:18 pm

Google's FAQ has been updated with tablet support and other compatible devices
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015...and-other.html

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6330195
Devices verified as compatible
Here's a list of devices that we’ve verified will work with Project Fi:

Nexus 7 - K009 (US LTE)
Nexus 9 - 0P82300 (US LTE)
iPad Air 2 - Model A1567
iPad mini 4 - Model A1550
Galaxy Tab S - Model SM-T807V
Other devices
Data-only SIMs may work with devices that aren’t on our list. Devices need to be unlocked and work with T-Mobile (GSM radio). You can order a data-only SIM and test it out. However, we may not be able to help activate or troubleshoot these other devices.

Note on phones: If you set up a data-only SIM with a phone, you will have access to data, but you won’t be able to make calls and texts across the cellular network.
It seems data only can only be in added onto a Google Fi Basics with voice account, not in place of.
https://productforums.google.com/d/m...8/B4FlAQuqAQAJ

Last edited by freecia; Dec 15, 2015 at 7:30 pm
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:25 pm

only good news
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
My Project Fi data only SIM arrived today, and I placed it into my Nexus 7 LTE and it's working fine.

I did order this from my existing Project Fi account management page. Today I had to enter a code off of the SIM into the web page used for activation.

I had to order a SIM adapter for this Nano sized SIM to use it in my tablet. I got it from a vendor on Amazon.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:10 pm

im going to order one will update...
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:30 pm

got my Christmas gift from them too! Pretty sweet. Also you can add up to 9 data only sims at no extra cost to the plan other then actual usage.

has anyone tested these data only sims in any samsung galaxy phones? would be great for international travel for non-fi phones...
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:34 am

what xmas gift??
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by patpatpatme
what xmas gift??
I got a "Lego" pack to make a charging stand and a micro USB "C" cable.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:03 pm

i actually saw it after i placed the order i will getting the same thing
Old Dec 25, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now I can add additional data SIM cards, I'm giving it an additional look...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.