Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:46 am

boingo in twin cities area of MN is almost useless. I connect to xfinity automagically but dont recall connecting to boingo at all. I have downloaded the boingo app, they said it's needed to verify and auto connect but when I did connect at an airport I just entered my credentials on their splash page.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I'm running the Boingo app on my phone, along with Fi. When I stop somewhere there's a Boingo hotspot, I will get a pop up message on the phone telling me there's a hotspot there, and to Tap to Login.

So there's a hotspot at McDonald's, and if I go through the drive through, the app will see it. If I don't touch my phone until I get home, I still have the message telling me there's a hotspot, but by then I'm out of range. It can be confusing but works OK if you are staying put in the area of the hotspot and notice when the notification first appears.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by ayg
Do you have to log into each Boingo hotspot? Do you just auto login once the Boingo app is on your phone? I also have Amex Plat and will have Fi here shortly on a 6P. Just curious how this works. I've never downloaded the Boingo app.
With the app you sign-in once with your boingo login and password. From them on in, it's already set. It's not completely seamless for reasons mentioned before, but it's not terrible.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Has anyone used Fi service in Mainland China yet? If so was the use of a VPN on your phone necessary to access data/Gmail/GMaps/etc?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Update: In regards to my previous post, Fi service works fine when in China without a VPN. Firewall is not an issue, Google homepage popped up while I was standing in the terminal. It is slow though, and sometimes apps will crash.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA-GLD
Originally Posted by TheChallenge
Update: In regards to my previous post, Fi service works fine when in China without a VPN. Firewall is not an issue, Google homepage popped up while I was standing in the terminal. It is slow though, and sometimes apps will crash.
Great thank you. I will be doing this in about a week and half.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Gold, *wood Gold
So just upgraded to the 6P but came across an interesting issue. Ordered the new phone via Google Fi and received the phone. Installed the SIM from my Nexus 6 and told that I needed a new SIM card. Spoke with Google who confirmed the SIM from my Nexus 6 would not fully work with the 6P. Phone didn't ship with a new SIM so had to get one overnight.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Google 5X Black Fri. Sale @$299 16GB >> $349 for 32GB

Anyone with feedback & real world experience on the new 5X while traveling abroad ?

Heads-up if shopping/thinking of getting one of the latest Google smartphone, the 5X is available for as low as $299 with the 16GB model, choice of 3 colors & free shipping - for extra $50 or $349, the 32GB is a reasonably priced - especially with Project Fi.

Chromecast (2015 - newer model) is 2 of $50, reg. price @ $35 each. Happy online shoppping. (P.S. These prices are valid thru next Monday per online info)

Last edited by Letitride3c; Nov 27, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:31 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Two notes:
* I installed Fi Spy a couple weeks ago, and when traveling to Montreal and Quebec City this week, changed the provider preferences to Auto/Auto/Auto (from T-Mobile/Sprint/Auto). That was apparently the wrong answer, though it didn't dawn on me until the day we were leaving, because I'd lose my data connection every time I moved from WIFI to cell tower. I guess I should just leave it as is on future trips out of the country.
* Did anyone else get a Christmas present from Google in the last few days? I won't give away the surprise, but thought it was a nice gesture.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I signed up for Project Fi a few weeks ago (ordered the 6P - love it) and had a slight hiccup porting my number on-line so I needed to speak to a tech person but it was all sorted in less than 5 minutes. This is week three and service has been hassle-free so far. I had to make one international call (to the American Airlines desk in Australia) and 12 minutes cost 24⍧.

I was most excited for the international coverage. I took a quick trip to London and Stockholm last week and can report the following:

* In London I noticed either the LTE or 3G symbol but speeds always seemed to be 3G.
* In Stockholm I saw either an H or an E next to the signal meter and speeds seemed to also be 3G.
Google Maps took maybe 10 seconds to load in Satellite mode so not bad (to me). Transit apps worked as needed. Texts went through with no problems and I even received a phone call that came through via WiFi (it reads so on the caller ID) while I was at the hotel.

So I'm really pleased switching over!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How does it compare to T-Mobile international roaming, speed-wise?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
How does it compare to T-Mobile international roaming, speed-wise?
In my experience, it's still throttled, but about twice as fast -- 256kbps as opposed to 128 on T-Mo IIRC.

Functionally it is much more useable in my opinion. I would get frustrated sometimes waiting on the T-Mo connection. The Fi connection won't be confused for LTE, but it is useable.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
is Fi open for other members to invite people? If so I'd like an invitation. I have a request in for one; but haven't heard back yet.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:38 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by cyst
is Fi open for other members to invite people? If so I'd like an invitation. I have a request in for one; but haven't heard back yet.
To the best of my knowledge, no. (I'm a subscriber and can't see a way of sending an invite.) You might want to set a Google alert for "instant invite" so that you don't miss opportunities like this: http://www.androidcentral.com/sign-n...nd-80-nexus-5x
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by cyst
How long has it been since you requested an invite? It took 16 days before I received mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.