Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by freecia
AIS Sim2Fly has an international roaming eSIM geared towards data roaming.
Interesting! They have one that's 15GB over a year, for 2700 bhat (US$87), valid in 74 countries.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Is a data-only eSIM a thing? I have Pixel 3's that now have a physical T-Mobile SIM in them. But if I wanted to, could I sign up for data-only via Fi just for my international trips? T-Mobile includes free 2G data almost everywhere in the world, but even their buy-up speeds aren't that great. I'd pay $10/gig to get LTE as long as I can turn it on and off when I want.
I don't think you could just do data only. So you do have to pay the extra $20 for voice and txt even if you don't use it.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:11 am

Just got back from a multi-country trip.

For some reason, Google Fi really choked in Denmark. Fortunately, it's my international roaming program, and I use T-Mo normally, so I just went back to that (free, slow roaming). On to the next country, and Google Fi was fine again.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Just back from AMS, KGL, rural rwanda (gorillas), Tanzania, and Kenya, here are the FI report, mostly data

Rwanda- H or H+, but not really, more like 2g. phone calls ok. Even in Volcanos national park

Tanzania- H+ at Singita Sasakwa and Ngorongoro crater. True H+. Decent

Angama Mara Kenya- H+, Decent

All of these on the T MO network

Learned one other thing. My wifes chromebook would not connect to a hotel wifi because the certificate was not current. However, I learned that from the Pixel 3 forward, that device can share a hotel wifi connection with a few other devices at the hotel wifi speed. Apparently it requires 2 radios to do this, and since the Pixel 3 has an esim slot and a regular slot, (I use the esim for Fi) I was able to do this, which saves a bunch of $10 USD/gb data costs. Apparently there are other devices that can do this too. See link. Glad I got it at half off on the anniversary sale.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/1...aring-devices/

Last edited by boerne; Aug 20, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:00 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
If I add a person to my account, their monthly fee would be 15 dollars. Can I pause the 20 dollar per month main account and have theirs continue to work?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:22 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Fi was not working well for me in Singapore last week. This was with a Pixel 2 that has been to Singapore with me three times before.

Despite trying all the steps listed in the wiki, and repeating most of them once or twice a day, it wasn't until day 4 that Fi would connect me to a mobile network. Once it started working, it was great, with LTE indicated and good speeds.

The outage wasn't a major problem for us in this location, but it was a surprise and disappointment not to be able to rely upon Fi.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:47 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I had a problem in Vietnam with Fi not working. I found a blog where someone mentioned moving to 3G and restarting and that got things going again, albeit slowly.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I had a problem in Vietnam with Fi not working. I found a blog where someone mentioned moving to 3G and restarting and that got things going again, albeit slowly.
That's where I ran into lots of issues re-activating the service after shutting off the Fi service, such as after swapping active SIMs in a dual-SIM phone
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by boerne
Just back from AMS, KGL, rural rwanda (gorillas), Tanzania, and Kenya, here are the FI report, mostly data

Rwanda- H or H+, but not really, more like 2g. phone calls ok. Even in Volcanos national park

Tanzania- H+ at Singita Sasakwa and Ngorongoro crater. True H+. Decent

Angama Mara Kenya- H+, Decent

All of these on the T MO network

Learned one other thing. My wifes chromebook would not connect to a hotel wifi because the certificate was not current. However, I learned that from the Pixel 3 forward, that device can share a hotel wifi connection with a few other devices at the hotel wifi speed. Apparently it requires 2 radios to do this, and since the Pixel 3 has an esim slot and a regular slot, (I use the esim for Fi) I was able to do this, which saves a bunch of $10 USD/gb data costs. Apparently there are other devices that can do this too. See link. Glad I got it at half off on the anniversary sale.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/1...aring-devices/
Very cool info.

I wish the dual-SIM iPhones would do this.

So the LTE radio is in the same chip as the WiFi radio, and there are just two of them in there?
gretchendz likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:48 pm

I carry an iPhone XS on a daily basis, but have a Pixel 3 and use it to split hotel and airline airplane connections. It is a great wifi splitter. I am waiting for the Pixel to roll out official dual SIM support to evaluate which will be my daily phone.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I carry an iPhone XS on a daily basis, but have a Pixel 3 and use it to split hotel and airline airplane connections. It is a great wifi splitter. I am waiting for the Pixel to roll out official dual SIM support to evaluate which will be my daily phone.
How are you doing the WiFi sharing on the pixel 3?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by IslesFan

boerne posted a link above, and there's more info and discussion about that here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...fi_sharing_to/
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Very cool info.

I wish the dual-SIM iPhones would do this.

So the LTE radio is in the same chip as the WiFi radio, and there are just two of them in there?
Thats an interesting question. I "think" the physical sim slot is also LTE. Or maybe it was answered upthread.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by IslesFan

Sorry missed this. You get your Pixel 3 on the hotel/airplane wifi. Then simply fire up the hotspot. Nothing special. I checked data usage when I did this with Mrs. boerne in Kigali and I didn't use Fi data. So, cemented my relationship with Fi. I also have an iPhone X for work, on Sprint . But use the Pixel when international. Below is a discussion on XDA on the Q software.

https://www.xda-developers.com/andro...pport-pixel-3/

Last edited by boerne; Aug 27, 2019 at 7:04 pm Reason: Added data
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
So if I understand correctly you can do this with a pixel but I can't with my samsung s8 b/c when I try it says I have to turn wifi off in order to use hotspot (in other words forcing me to use cellular data)?

Originally Posted by boerne
Sorry missed this. You get your Pixel 3 on the hotel/airplane wifi. Then simply fire up the hotspot. Nothing special. I checked data usage when I did this with Mrs. boerne in Kigali and I didn't use Fi data. So, cemented my relationship with Fi. I also have an iPhone X for work, on Sprint . But use the Pixel when international. Below is a discussion on XDA on the Q software.

https://www.xda-developers.com/andro...pport-pixel-3/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.