Three Feel at Home
Flexiroam X
Telestial
Print Wikipost

Pan-International prepaid SIMs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I'd order off Toggle if I could. Tried twice, got error messages both times. Error happened at entering of CC and clicking "Send SIM"
Send them an online message describing your problem and they more likely will send you one for free.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Being a Toggle customer requires a certain amount of patience. I bought my cards from gosimcard, through eBay. The vendor was responsive and prompt.
Thanks. I'll buy through this vendor.
Old May 16, 2014, 1:58 pm

Maybe the best Pan-International SIM?

As I wrote in another post, if you get an Italian Vodafone SIM-Card, you can activate for free a package for 3 € per day (only when used) and get 500 MB per day, 50 SMS and 50 min.
This is also available under the brand Europasim and works in following countries: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canary islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Island, Finland, France, French Guyana, Germany, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Greece, Guadalupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Monaco, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Reunion, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Turkey
Old May 16, 2014, 3:43 pm

Toggle UK
  • carrier notification messages come in English
  • option of other local numbers, though not Italy
  • Use every 90 + 30 days to keep credit & sim active, cheap to do in a Toggle Local # country like USA.
  • Can activate sim outside UK
  • Text messages can be a bit flaky.
  • Top up min 20 GBP

TIM Italy 10 EUR /week (and likely Vodafone IT 3 EUR /day)
  • carrier notification messages come in Italian
  • only Italian number
  • Top up every 13 months to keep sim active
  • Top up min 5 EUR
  • Requires passport or coda fiscale to purchase

I prefer my notification messages in English. My TIM sim was activated within Italy. Europasim might activate the Vodafone sim in Italy for their customers.
Old May 16, 2014, 11:05 pm

So I'll be traveling to Ireland, England, Germany, France, Italy, and Romania. Is there a single sim I could get that would give me data/minutes in these countries?
Old May 30, 2014, 5:04 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I will be traveling to Germany, Thailand, Japan, and China. Is there a SIM that I can buy in the US (or online that ships to the US) that will cover all those for a reasonable price? I only need a data plan.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: *G
SWISS offering EU (&"global") roaming package

Got this email today and it seems quite nice.... if you cant be bothered getting a new SIM in every country

https://www.swiss.com/ch/en/book/swi...4#t-page=pane2

What do you do when you leave the aircraft? You switch your mobile phone back on. And if you're abroad, you can quickly fall victim to astronomical roaming charges. There is a solution, and it's called SWISS Mobile. Use this new international prepaid SIM card to make calls and surf cheaper than ever before - wherever you are in the world.

Not sure if it only works in these 3 zones or if these are the only 3 examples they list, but it's "Europe" "USA" and "South Africa"

A reasonable 10$ for 100MB, 40$ for 500MB, valid for 30 days.

In Germany, a call to a local number or back to USA is about ~15c/min. Incoming calls are free.

Works out nice for those doing a multi-week trip across Europe
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by deniah
Got this email today and it seems quite nice.... if you cant be bothered getting a new SIM in every country

Works out nice for those doing a multi-week trip across Europe
Thanks for this. it's better than I expected. Most calls to landlines or cellphones in most countries cost 0.14 CHF/minute - about USD 0.15 - including from South Africa to Europe. (SA to US costs CHF 0.16/minute.)

I'd been looking for a South Africa solution for some time. At first sight this one seems to fit the bill and would complement Three Feel at Home and Toggle for me.

It comes with a +44 7937 prefix, so 'UK' but not UK. It's from Jersey Telecom and can be more expensive to call than real UK cell numbers. The SWISS website says:
Because your SWISS Mobile SIM card can be charged with several country codes, your mobile phone will be recognised as a local mobile by networks in other countries
but gives no more details on the website. It seems to use a mixture of callthrough and callback.

Oh BTW. It's SWISS, the airline, not Swisscom, the telecoms company.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by deniah

Impossible to order the Swiss SIM card in the USA. The website says there's no suitable shipping option available.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by bonchien
Impossible to order the Swiss SIM card in the USA. The website says there's no suitable shipping option available.
You need to enter your address (including country) and hit "Save" for the shipping option to load.

However, there is only one option called "ROW - A-Mail standard letter". Has anyone ordered one of these to the US and know how long the shipping takes?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update to my post 113, which included:
The SWISS website says:
Quote:
Because your SWISS Mobile SIM card can be charged with several country codes, your mobile phone will be recognised as a local mobile by networks in other countries
but gives no more details on the website.
Unquote
I asked about this and got this response:
unfortunately it is not possible to add local numbers to your SWISS Mobile SIM card. All regarding the country codes will go automatically, you will only notice this by the kind of call you will be making. There are two types of calls; a callthrough call and a callback call.

- Callthrough: works like a normal call, you dial the desired number and the connection will be established
- Callback: works slightly different, you dial the desired number and the connection will be ended, after a few seconds your phone will start ringing and when you accept the call the original connection will be established (Important: During the call-back process, the mobile phone will give some messages about the status of the Callback setup; these messages can be ignored).
So it looks like I'm stuck with a +44 number with this SIM.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:51 am

If you need to be reachable on another local number besides the +44 number, say a US number for example, you can get on from localPhone, callcentric, etc., and just forward it to the +44 number.
Originally Posted by Roger
So it looks like I'm stuck with a +44 number with this SIM.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, useful to know. I'll be OK using Toggle or Three in the countries I visit, except for South Africa where the Swiss alternative is best value for me.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:01 am

A World Wide Roaming Card...

Hi, I am going to travel Northern and European countries for business purposes and need a world wide sim card that can be used in all of these countries for calling and data services both. I did buy some travel cards but those were my worse decisions I've ever taken. Also, I want a sim card that can automatically recharge number when my credit it low. Please if someone can advise.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:43 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Assuming you are based out of US:
If you are going multiple countries and places, I would just add an international roaming plan on AT&T or whatever service you have. T-mobile has free international data on some plans also.

Unless you are in 1 country for a fixed time, there is no cheap way that I know of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.