Three Feel at Home
Flexiroam X
Telestial
Print Wikipost

Pan-International prepaid SIMs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
On a recent trip to Europe I bought myself an Alditalk SIM card in Germany. It works pretty much world wide, although the pricing outside Europe can be rather high (99cents/minute, but it works for that emergency call). Inside Europe the pricing is 11 cents (Euro) per minute, and for 3 Euro you can get an unlimited data plan for a day when you need it. It is sold at Aldi stores in Germany for 12 Euro and gives you a starting balance of 10 Euro.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I got a SIM card from Piranha Mobile for a recent trip to Europe - I needed something that would work in four countries (France, Hungary, Austria and Czech Republic). I had limited time in each country and didn't want to be bothered with looking for local SIMs everywhere. It came with both a US and a UK number, which didn't concern me much because I needed it more for data than voice. It worked great and the rates were very reasonable - I got the lowest priced SIM card option and added an additional £10 of credit and still didn't spend it all over 11 days. So for £22, I had a working phone for my entire trip with credit left over for next time. ^
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:52 am

I got myself a SIM card from WorldSIM, and after that purchased a Virtual Number for Netherlands. Got a local landline number from WorldSIM. I am happy with it, as my friends and family can call me dialing a local number which is cheap for them. I wanted a roaming SIM card of such for a long time, that would have a local number that my family doesn't have to pay much to call me when I am traveling abroad.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:17 am
Suspended

Cool Way to hide that you are traveling!

I have used WorldSIM card service for the last 3 years, they have brought lot of changes in their products and services. The latest feature that is the virtual number is amazing. I provide the virtual number that I purchased from WorldSIM to my friends, no one realizes that I am on a trip!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:35 am
H_X

European SIM cards in Rome

Is there a shop at FCO or Roma Termini that sells SIM cards?

My itinerary is as follows:
Italy (7 nights)
Spain (2 nights)
Italy (1 night)
Switzerland (2 nights)
UK (3 nights)

I would be using the SIM card mostly for voice calls to/from these countries as well as the USA, and maybe some texting.

What do FT-ers recommend? How much do the card and calls cost, in Italy and after I leave Italy? I don't know any Italian, so I can't tell from the Vodafone and TIM websites.

Thank you!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by H_X

Italy (7 nights)
Spain (2 nights)
Italy (1 night)
Switzerland (2 nights)
UK (3 nights)

I would be using the SIM card mostly for voice calls to/from these countries as well as the USA, and maybe some texting.

What do FT-ers recommend? How much do the card and calls cost, in Italy and after I leave Italy? I don't know any Italian, so I can't tell from the Vodafone and TIM websites.

Thank you!
Going from slightly foggy memory...

I believe there is a TIM store on the second level at Termini Station.

I recall I paid 30 euro, lots of data and calling, limited texting though. probably is a package with texting available.

Coverage was very good I felt.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Victor555
I have used WorldSIM card service for the last 3 years, they have brought lot of changes in their products and services.
One of these seems to be a £1 per month fee to keep the number if it's not used for a while, in spite of their 'non-expiring' marketing claims.

I have asked for an explanation, I haven't got one yet but they have refunded 2x £1.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by H_X

Italy (7 nights)
Spain (2 nights)
Italy (1 night)
Switzerland (2 nights)
UK (3 nights)

I would be using the SIM card mostly for voice calls to/from these countries as well as the USA, and maybe some texting ...
Must it be Italy? Where are you? When will you start?

Take a look at togglemobile.com which offers coverage in the countries you mention.

If you are/could be UK-based and need to call or text the UK, take a look at Three's Feel at Home service, which includes most of those countries with Spain coming in April.

There are several threads about these in this forum if you Search. (I'm away with limited facilities at the moment.)
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by H_X

Italy (7 nights)
Spain (2 nights)
Italy (1 night)
Switzerland (2 nights)
UK (3 nights)

Thank you!
Take a look at this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22873264-post87.html

I have a Vodafone IT SIM and it works great in all the countries you've listed. For Italy specific plan look on their site and there are plenty of reasonable choices. Coverage was always good. http://www.vodafone.it/portal/Privat...phone-Vodafone

I've had TIM in the past too, they have a similar roaming plan that will cover the non-italy countries you are looking to visit. All depends on your usage requirements.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Roger
Must it be Italy? Where are you? When will you start?

Take a look at togglemobile.com which offers coverage in the countries you mention.

If you are/could be UK-based and need to call or text the UK, take a look at Three's Feel at Home service, which includes most of those countries with Spain coming in April.

There are several threads about these in this forum if you Search. (I'm away with limited facilities at the moment.)
I was also going to suggest Three with Feel at Home; worked very well for me when I was in the UK for work, and that way I don't need to try to change SIMs on the go. Pop it in before I leave home, put my Verizon SIM in when I get back.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:02 pm

Seems Keepgo has revamed their pricing. US$70 for the initial sim with 1GB data included. 1 year validity and any top up the validity rolls over to another year. Top ups are 500MB/$39, 1GB/$65, 3GB/$185, 5GB/$285, 10GB/$490.

Covers 64 countries.

Yes, initial outlay seems high, and obviously getting local sims are cheaper, but this does seem like a good alternative, especially if you are doing lots of short trips.

http://www.keepgo.com/products/1gb_s..._asia_america#
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by theworld
Seems Keepgo has revamed their pricing. US$70 for the initial sim with 1GB data included. 1 year validity and any top up the validity rolls over to another year. Top ups are 500MB/$39, 1GB/$65, 3GB/$185, 5GB/$285, 10GB/$490.

Covers 64 countries.

Yes, initial outlay seems high, and obviously getting local sims are cheaper, but this does seem like a good alternative, especially if you are doing lots of short trips.

http://www.keepgo.com/products/1gb_s..._asia_america#
I see the value. Sometimes you just don't know when you will need data and then you really need it. I had that come up in Australia when the hotel I was staying at didn't have coverage in the bungalow I was staying in and I had to deal with a crisis at 5am Australian time. I had a Skyroam hotspot and bought a day's usage. I dealt with the situation in twenty minutes, took a bath in the outdoor hot tub, grabbed a nice breakfast, and didn't have any major crisis. The alternative would have bee setting up by the pool and it would not have been near as quality an experience as sitting at the counter in my own room with a good cup of joe.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Has anyone used http://worldtravelsim.com/?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:59 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Exclamation Telestial - Passport SIM expirations shortened again

Originally Posted by Craig6z
E-Kit is the same company as Telestial. Many threads reference them also.

I used Telestial in nine European countries last summer, with minimal problems. Their customer service people are quite good.
I've had Telestial / e-Kit SIM cards since 2008. My first Passport Lite SIM had 9-month balance expiration and 15-month account (SIM) expiration. In 2010, I got a new Passport US SIM with a 6-mo balance exp and 9-mo account exp. I just learned (the hard way) that the expirations have been shortened yet again: As of Feb 2015, the Passport US SIM now has a 3-mo balance exp and 6-mo account exp. Minimum recharge to reinstate a balance is now $30.

From Customer Service after I complained about lack of notice:

Thank you for contacting Customer Service.

The terms changed back in February. We did not send notices for changes of terms. They are updated online which you can review by logging into the account at www.rechargeminutes.com.

We are a prepaid company. We have faced increased fees and requirements for number maintenance from our providers and must pass along the requirements, unfortunately.

As per terms and conditions, the service terms may change at any time without notice although the terms are update online ahead of time.

Feel free to contact us with any further questions or comments.
They did credit my $2.50 balance back after I complained. Not sure if there are better options to be had out there now, but wanted to post a heads up about this. I just got a Verizon iPhone 6, which is unlocked for GSM, so might be interested in getting a new SIM with data now.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 4:29 pm

Yeah. The life of the Ekit sims has been really shortened. I already used up my credit (about $1 left)when I was in Nigeria in March. I believe I received about a week ago or so, that my credit will be expiring. Not a big deal for me. My main international sim is Piranha. Plus, I use local sims if I am somewhere for a week or more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.