Wiki Posts
Search

Microsoft Surface

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by phol
Did anyone ever get to try the old Microsoft Surface? Now that was an impressive piece of technology...
Originally Posted by rybob1
It only sets you back around $10k IIRC. But it sure would look good in my family room
It will set you back about $13k now.

http://www.samsung.com/us/business/c.../LH40SFWTGC/ZA
Old Nov 7, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
It will set you back about $13k now.

http://www.samsung.com/us/business/c.../LH40SFWTGC/ZA
What was interesting to me was that shortly after it launched, a friend of mine who works for one of the big 4 airlines in their IT department, was sent up to Seattle for a training on developing for the original surface. After talking to him he told me that they were looking at deploying surface for their flight ops center. That's all he could or would say about it, but it sure got me curious how exactly it would be used in flight ops. Would be curious if they actually ever deployed it or not. Because of how coy he was being about sharing their plans, I won't say which airline, although it probably doesn't matter at this point.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:31 pm

What was interesting to me was that shortly after it launched, a friend of mine who works for one of the big 4 airlines in their IT department, was sent up to Seattle for a training on developing for the original surface. After talking to him he told me that they were looking at deploying surface for their flight ops center. That's all he could or would say about it, but it sure got me curious how exactly it would be used in flight ops. Would be curious if they actually ever deployed it or not. Because of how coy he was being about sharing their plans, I won't say which airline, although it probably doesn't matter at this point.
When i saw it, i was consulting for an IT vendor within the defence industry. They were using it for C4I stuff and it was literally like playing a Red Alert game (for those of you who ever saw that).

I would assume an airline would use it to automate much of the process of route management. You get a big map of the world and specify what aircraft type can fly each route, and Surface then assigns specific aircraft and route plans and sends out notifiers to whoever needs them. It's all on a interactive map so you can see where everything you own is at any time, and you could in theory take out an aircraft due to tech issues/delays and Surface will make the necessary adjustments.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 4:43 am

Programs: LH/LX, AY
Maybe a Surface user can answer my question.
I am thinking about to get one, to read my documents (word, power point, excel and pdf) on the tablet.
I would save them on a card or usb stick and then open them on the surface, is this possible also in the offline mode?

And would you buy the touch cover / type cover again?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spellofiron
Maybe a Surface user can answer my question.
I am thinking about to get one, to read my documents (word, power point, excel and pdf) on the tablet.
I would save them on a card or usb stick and then open them on the surface, is this possible also in the offline mode?
Absolutely. There is no real "offline mode", the whole device just works like any other Windows PC, and you can open your files off MicroSD or off a drive plugged into the USB port.

And would you buy the touch cover / type cover again?
Absolutely. I feel the keyboard should have been included for free (like Asus is doing). You really shouldn't buy one without it. I have both keyboards - but I prefer the touch cover.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
From AP

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A California lawyer is suing Microsoft Corp., claiming the Surface tablet he bought doesn't have all the storage space the company advertised.

Andrew <<removed>>, a lawyer in Los Angeles, claims that he bought a Surface with 32 gigabytes of storage last week. But he quickly ran out of space after loading it with music and Microsoft Word documents.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

It doesn't sound like he's looking for just money, just wants them to say how much memory you have in it.

The suit aims to change how Microsoft advertises its device and hopes to force the company to give back revenue and profits that resulted from its alleged wrongful conduct.

For future reference if needed

Microsoft confirmed on Nov. 5 exactly how much usable storage space its Surface tablets come with out of the box. It says on its website that the 32 GB Surface has 16 GB of free space while the 64 GB version has 45 GB free. The Surface started selling Oct. 26 and Sokolowski bought his device on Nov. 7.

<<removed>> lawyer, Rhett <<removed>>, said Wednesday that his client never saw Microsoft's responses and said the details on its website are "buried."

"They make you search and dig for it specifically, or you would never find it," he said.

Which I find pretty funny, they were pretty clear on the website as to how much memory was taken, or he could have just read this thread.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: LH/LX, AY
Originally Posted by ScottC
Absolutely. There is no real "offline mode", the whole device just works like any other Windows PC, and you can open your files off MicroSD or off a drive plugged into the USB port.

Absolutely. I feel the keyboard should have been included for free (like Asus is doing). You really shouldn't buy one without it. I have both keyboards - but I prefer the touch cover.
Thanks for your answer
Then the surface should satisfy my expectations.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
From AP

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A California lawyer is suing Microsoft Corp., claiming the Surface tablet he bought doesn't have all the storage space the company advertised.

Andrew <<removed>>, a lawyer in Los Angeles, claims that he bought a Surface with 32 gigabytes of storage last week. But he quickly ran out of space after loading it with music and Microsoft Word documents.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

It doesn't sound like he's looking for just money, just wants them to say how much memory you have in it.

The suit aims to change how Microsoft advertises its device and hopes to force the company to give back revenue and profits that resulted from its alleged wrongful conduct.

For future reference if needed

Microsoft confirmed on Nov. 5 exactly how much usable storage space its Surface tablets come with out of the box. It says on its website that the 32 GB Surface has 16 GB of free space while the 64 GB version has 45 GB free. The Surface started selling Oct. 26 and Sokolowski bought his device on Nov. 7.

<<removed>> lawyer, Rhett <<removed>>, said Wednesday that his client never saw Microsoft's responses and said the details on its website are "buried."

"They make you search and dig for it specifically, or you would never find it," he said.

Which I find pretty funny, they were pretty clear on the website as to how much memory was taken, or he could have just read this thread.
Yeah - every computer ever sold shows its specifications the same way
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
This doesn't even deserve the usual 15 minutes of fame...this lawyer's 30 seconds are up, and I hope a judge dismisses this pretty quick. I really don't see how the judge can do anything but dismiss.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That isn't the point - the point is that Microsoft failed to make this clear. A

Take for example the Google Nexus 7 - it clearly says this:

32 GB internal storage (actual formatted capacity will be less)
Microsoft failed to mention the vast amount of lost storage. I think most people realize that 32GB usually means around 28GB because of math, bits and bytes. But a tablet where so much of the available storage is taken by the OS is new to me. I have just over 16GB available on my 32GB - totally unacceptable IMHO.

Other devices (like the iPad or my Transformer Prime) have the OS stored separately from the storage drive - but Microsoft took the cheap way out. Instead of doing a dual partition 48GB drive, and assigning 32GB to the user, they just went with 32GB and assumed that people wouldn't care. If you purchased a 16GB iPad, and only had 1GB available for music, you'd return the damn thing. As I said - this isn't about the usual "32GB is not 32GB" stuff companies like Sandisk deal with - it is providing a tablet with advertised storage that is impossible to actually use. If I buy a new laptop, I am free to wipe it and recover a lot of the space - I realize that some will be used for the OS, but having a new machine come with storage that is 50% wasted out of the box is not normal.

I say Microsoft owes every Surface owner something - and a 32GB MicroSD card or free upgrades to the next largest size would go a long way to fixing this PR nightmare. Microsoft can't afford this right now.

To make it even worse - I lose another 5GB for "recovery" - and I have no way to remove this or offload it onto a USB Drive.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This doesn't even deserve the usual 15 minutes of fame...this lawyer's 30 seconds are up, and I hope a judge dismisses this pretty quick. I really don't see how the judge can do anything but dismiss.
As a Surface owner/lover and hater of all lawyers, I actually think he's onto something. Microsoft screwed up here.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
As a Surface owner/lover and hater of all lawyers, I actually think he's onto something. Microsoft screwed up here.
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/14/m...ft-has-failed/

Don't agree with everything he said, but what a great rant.

Last edited by skofarrell; Nov 16, 2012 at 4:03 am
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by skofarrell
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/14/m...ft-has-failed/

Don't agree with everything he said, but what a great rant.
I was laughing out loud at some of that, agree a great rant.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Microsoft failed to mention the vast amount of lost storage. I think most people realize that 32GB usually means around 28GB because of math, bits and bytes. But a tablet where so much of the available storage is taken by the OS is new to me. I have just over 16GB available on my 32GB - totally unacceptable IMHO.
Completely agree with you on this. This is nothing more than false advertising on their part.

Massive to MS for this lie.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Given the amount of money Microsoft is making on each Surface sold, I dont see why they couldn't have added another 16 or 32gb chip for the surface C: drive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.