Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Microsoft Surface

Microsoft Surface

Reply

Old Oct 27, 12, 5:44 pm
  #76  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bay Area
Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Posts: 9,864
Alternate take:

http://ozar.me/2012/10/why-im-return...ft-surface-rt/
wco81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 12, 9:01 pm
  #77  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 37,488
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
He has a good point on the Office Updates - for some reason, those are accessible outside the tile environment. Sloppy.

He also has a good point on waiting for the Pro version for his personal situation - but I personally want a lightweight machine with longer battery life. Pro sounds awesome, but it'll cost more, weigh more and last shorter on its battery. As long as most of my apps eventually make it to RT, I'll be happy.

Even though I'm a massive Android fan, I feel that Surface is in many ways lightyears ahead of what Google has done for the tablet look and feel of their devices.
ScottC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 12, 6:50 pm
  #78  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 37,488
Second day in - I've mastered all the gestures and can swipe my way around now. Still find it odd how the desktop mode is even around. New apps pop up daily, some lousy, some amazing.
ScottC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 12, 5:42 am
  #79  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 12,171
It would have been better to have 2 Windows 8's front doors. Have Metro default as "on" to touch enabled devices. Leave it as an option for non touch, with the classic UI as the default.

Kinda the way Apple did with iOS/OSX Launchpad.
skofarrell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 12, 7:44 am
  #80  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Gent, Belgium
Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
Posts: 448
Waiting for a Surface Pro here, I'm upgrading my PC to Windows 8 in the mean time though so I can get familiar with it for when I get my Surface.
WC_EEND is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 12, 7:30 am
  #81  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 37,488
Originally Posted by skofarrell View Post
It would have been better to have 2 Windows 8's front doors. Have Metro default as "on" to touch enabled devices. Leave it as an option for non touch, with the classic UI as the default.

Kinda the way Apple did with iOS/OSX Launchpad.
After a couple of days with W8 on all my devices and my Surface on its first trip, I disagree - Metro is the new way to go, and even on my non-touch Asus laptop, I love having it. I think they did the right thing to try and get people away from the old and over to the new.
ScottC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 12, 7:37 am
  #82  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Bradenton, FL USA SRQ & TPA
Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 37,276
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
After a couple of days with W8 on all my devices and my Surface on its first trip, I disagree - Metro is the new way to go, and even on my non-touch Asus laptop, I love having it. I think they did the right thing to try and get people away from the old and over to the new.
The real test for Microsoft is seeing if they can convince people of this. IMHO W8 is a big step up in every way, but they need to win over the stubborn folks who fear change.
SRQ Guy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 12, 8:02 am
  #83  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 37,488
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy View Post
The real test for Microsoft is seeing if they can convince people of this. IMHO W8 is a big step up in every way, but they need to win over the stubborn folks who fear change.
The upside is that a large number of customers will be buyers of a new computer - and they won't have a choice

Apparently already 4 million people upgraded over the weekend - not a bad start.
ScottC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 12, 10:40 am
  #84  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 12,171
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
After a couple of days with W8 on all my devices and my Surface on its first trip, I disagree - Metro is the new way to go, and even on my non-touch Asus laptop, I love having it. I think they did the right thing to try and get people away from the old and over to the new.
Then why have desktop mode at all?
skofarrell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 12, 10:43 am
  #85  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bay Area
Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Posts: 9,864
Desktop mode is needed for legacy apps, I presume?

Legacy software helps keep the Windows monopoly entrenched.

So what is the upgrade policy for popular software, like Quicken, Office, Photoshop Elements, etc., when they come out with metro-fied versions?

If people couldn't run their existing apps. people might hold off on upgrading.
wco81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 12, 11:40 am
  #86  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 37,488
Originally Posted by skofarrell View Post
Then why have desktop mode at all?
T'is a good question. I can see why they have it on the upcoming pro, but don't quite get why it is there on RT. I like having it, as it does give me a "real" windows environment, but it still only works with RT apps.

Flew out of Seattle yesterday and got quite a few people stop and ask me about it at the airport
ScottC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 12, 1:54 pm
  #87  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 12,171
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Desktop mode is needed for legacy apps, I presume?

Legacy software helps keep the Windows monopoly entrenched.

So what is the upgrade policy for popular software, like Quicken, Office, Photoshop Elements, etc., when they come out with metro-fied versions?

If people couldn't run their existing apps. people might hold off on upgrading.
There are no legacy apps on RT. I'd respect the tablet a lot more if they did away with the legacy mode, and didn't refer to the device as a PC (as it does on every setting).
skofarrell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 12, 2:36 pm
  #88  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bay Area
Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Posts: 9,864
I heard you have to go to the Desktop for the Office RT.

Plus there are old Windows control panels there which could change settings on the device?
wco81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 12, 5:49 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SEA
Programs: HHonors Diamond
Posts: 468
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I heard you have to go to the Desktop for the Office RT.

Plus there are old Windows control panels there which could change settings on the device?
Sounds like Oprah is a fan...she added it to her list of "favorite things". I'm not a huge Oprah follower so I'm not sure exactly what that means other than an endorsement by her.

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/oprah-l...esbenz-people/
rybob1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 12, 11:21 pm
  #90  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 37,488
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I heard you have to go to the Desktop for the Office RT.

Plus there are old Windows control panels there which could change settings on the device?
No and yes.

Office has live tiles preinstalled to launch its apps. Yes, there is still an old school control panel if you want to tinker with things. The vast majority of those settings are also available in the modern settings swipe.
ScottC is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread