Microsoft Surface

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 7:18 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by skofarrell
Then why have desktop mode at all?
Microsoft Marketing.

You tell people they have a desktop mode they can go to if they want an interface they are more comfortable with.

You don't tell them they can't do anything with it because you can't run any of your legacy stuff.

It would be the exact same machine and same user experience with or without it. But it's a selling point.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Stopped by the Microsoft store today to try out the two keyboards. The reviews I read are spot on. While the touch version is certainly easier than typing on a glass screen, I just didn't find it suitable for large amounts of typing. There's a supposed learning curve, so my accuracy could improve after some practice. In contrast, though, I felt much more comfortable on the type keyboard. I had little trouble hitting the correct keys at approx 90 wpm, and for long typing sessions, the choice is crystal clear to me.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Sorry wrong thread

Last edited by Jimmie76; Nov 3, 2012 at 12:19 pm
Old Nov 3, 2012, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maize&blue
Stopped by the Microsoft store today to try out the two keyboards. The reviews I read are spot on. While the touch version is certainly easier than typing on a glass screen, I just didn't find it suitable for large amounts of typing. There's a supposed learning curve, so my accuracy could improve after some practice. In contrast, though, I felt much more comfortable on the type keyboard. I had little trouble hitting the correct keys at approx 90 wpm, and for long typing sessions, the choice is crystal clear to me.
It does get better over time, but never as good as on the "real" keyboard. I picked one up yesterday, so now I have the option of both.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An interesting article that blows away the whole concept of certain companies selling tablets at a loss to generate profits in other areas.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2013...o-chatter.html

Gobry doesn’t address the obvious flaw in his lauding of Jeff Bezos if this is true. If Amazon’s big loss is due to selling a ton of Kindle Fires, shouldn’t that loss have been offset by the company selling lots of content? That is, after all, the whole idea behind selling the Fire so cheaply. If handle sales are so good, how come people aren’t buying razor blades?
LOL
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:52 am

Played around with it at the mall kiosk (they had only six available for consumers to play around with (versus the Apple store down the hall that has 50+ devices and about 90 people crammed in there!) -

The tablet is very nice & smooth - very impressed with the screen speed and responsiveness to the touch.

Both keyboards are amazing fast to type on (the flat keyboard and the regular keyboard).

Would I get one: Well probably not - I'm happy with my Galaxy Tab 7" (old version).
Old Nov 4, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I briefly played with it at the local Microsoft store. It was okay. Instead, I've fallen in love with the Acer Aspire S7 series, except for the fugly white lid. This might be my next laptop.

I then went over to Best Buy to play with the Lenovo Yoga 13. That will be Mrs. Swede's next laptop. Although, I'm rather shocked at how heavy it feels; regardless, it feels like it's built like a tank.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Instead, I've fallen in love with the Acer Aspire S7 series, except for the fugly white lid. This might be my next laptop.
I just noticed the 11" version has a brushed aluminum lid with a full HD IPS screen. ^ And it's a few hundred dollars cheaper. ^^
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
This guy: http://www.areliablesource.org/post/35064898230/surface

Really nailed it.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skofarrell
Except for...

They could have branded their mobile OS ‘Metro’ and seen very few negative effects, if any at all.
It's been well-known since August that M$ was somewhat-forced to stop calling it Metro.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Except for...

It's been well-known since August that M$ was somewhat-forced to stop calling it Metro.
The point is they could have worked out an agreement with the department store chain or come up with another name. Calling everything 'Windows' is going to bite them in the end.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
I've given up waiting for the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2, and picked up a Surface after playing with it at the mall kiosk. It will replace my iPad3.

Pros:
- Very light, able to sync settings between laptop and the Surface (both running W8)
- Long battery life
- Ability to run new "Windows apps"
- Screen very clear and readable, more comfortable to me than the iPad3 with the landscape vs portrait layout defaults
- It's better than iOS (IMO)

Cons:
- No 4g LTE wireless service
- No ability to run legacy programs - issue will diminish over time
- No VisualStudio or programming languages can be used on it *yet*

It's a great device, but the long term value is still out between the Windows Phone 8 and a full-fledged W8 laptop. Whether it becomes redundant or not remains to be seen.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 1:17 am

Did anyone ever get to try the old Microsoft Surface? Now that was an impressive piece of technology...
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by phol
Did anyone ever get to try the old Microsoft Surface? Now that was an impressive piece of technology...
It only sets you back around $10k IIRC. But it sure would look good in my family room
Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phol
While I agree that it was impressive, it was only impressive in the months around launch. After that, the device pretty much did what most other tablets started being able to do. Remember, when it was launched, the iPad didn't exist yet, neither did the iPhone. Multi-touch on a device was unheard of...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.