Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going all Ipad

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by ~tc~
64 GB + dropbox, no problem

Yeah, I always laugh at the Apple fanbois and their "it just works". IME, no it doesn't... And its a helluva lot harder to reset/fix than a windows device. I also think it's ironic when all the Linux "open source" guys all praise apple - the ultimate closed source company
Huh?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
not sure

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
It may be a useful device for culling on the road. But.... I shoot raw (which can be dumped from the camera to the iPad, but can't be fully viewed using the internal app). I can fill 32-40 GB of file space on a trip without too much effort. When added to the other things stored on the iPad (a couple of movies, other photos, books, etc), the iPad is filled.
not sure exactly what is going on here, I shoot mostly raw or raw+jpeg and can import all these combinations to the ipad 2 with the connection kit no problem, either from the camera directly or putting an SD card into the slot, or putting the CF card into a CF reader and putting that into the USB slot or direct USB from a canon 20d, 50d 5dMkII or 7d - these are all CF cameras.

the images come into the native photo client and show RAW and can be displayed, deleted or transferred back out to the computer later either directly into iphoto aperture. I am sure there are other ways to remove them. As for culling, I do it on the ipad sometimes, but use the storage (only have the 32GB version) to dump several 8GB cards onto - that is usually enough for me for a 2 week safari or big international adventure trip. The one thing the ipad 2 WON'T import is the movie files, which is a bummer but as well they are HUGE.

I haven't actually tried deleting directly FROM the card while viewing ON the ipad 2, not sure if that will work. I have used a third party product called PHOTOGENE (2.99$ in the app store) to import and edit these raw files but they can only be exported at a smaller roughly 10MB format, so that is limited but the resident RAW original file is kept intact
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Huh?
+1. Apple products do just work. And work well. And easily.

Windows/Linux/Blackberry and all the other crap put together by techies just don't
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:30 am

Oddly the annotation doesn't show up when I read the email on my iPad. But it does show up when I read it as a PDF on my MB Air. Must be an issue with the email reader on the iPad.
Try goodreader app, supposedly the gold standard for pdf file management for iPad http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodr...363448914?mt=8

Perhaps one of my favorite apps is Note Taker HD. I use it for virtually all of my meeting notes in combination with a Boxwave stylus while traveling.
Just downloaded my first paid app, penultimate and waiting for my AluPen stylus to arrive. Tested with finger, not bad
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/penul...354098826?mt=8

My wife can even scribble notes in Chinese and email on the fly to Asia with this app. No need to use international keyboard, etc.

Last edited by dtsm; Aug 18, 2011 at 10:38 am
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by dtsm
Try goodreader app, supposedly the gold standard for pdf file management for iPad http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodr...363448914?mt=8

Just downloaded my first paid app, penultimate and waiting for my AluPen stylus to arrive. Tested with finger, not bad

My wife can even scribble notes in Chinese and email on the fly to Asia with this app. No need to use international keyboard, etc.
I have penultimate, but only use it for random notes ... I have become attached to the evernote application for notes, etc now
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by ma91pmh

Windows/Linux/Blackberry and all the other crap put together by techies just don't
LOL you must not have used Apple products very much then. I've had a lot of issues with my iPhone spring board crashing, iOS crashing for no reason, Mac OSX strange issues, lots of issues that couldn't be really tracked down even by Apple "geniuses" - they just recommend "reinstall" instead of trying to figure out the problems. iTunes...don't even get me started on that piece of crap.

It's funny hearing people repeating the same myth over and over. Usually indicates someone who has not used Apple products extensively. Apple's products are pretty good, but not perfect. They usually work if you keep your requirements simple, but never "just work". No technology made by man is that perfect, not by a long shot.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:41 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oddly the annotation doesn't show up when I read the email on my iPad. But it does show up when I read it as a PDF on my MB Air. Must be an issue with the email reader on the iPad.

Perhaps one of my favorite apps is Note Taker HD. I use it for virtually all of my meeting notes in combination with a Boxwave stylus while traveling.

I have a lot of note taking apps. My favorite is Note Taker HD. What I particularly like about it is that you can write in a section of the screen (in the text window) and that is then shrunk to the appropriate place on the screen. It let's you write large, with better form, and then shrinks it for you.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:43 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have Good Reader. At the time I got it iAnnotate was better for marking up PDFs in my opinion. So I just kept using it,
Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh

This is as lame as the mac-as-religion meme, and just about as true. Though I always appreciate 'techie' being used as a pejorative.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:25 pm

I can sync them to my Dropbox account and see the annotations so I assume so. I will check about email. Be right back.

I think the better processor in the iPad 2 and some significant improvements to some core apps have helped a lot. I am now quite confident giving presentations with the ipad 2 and Keynote. I don't like creating presentations on it but i can do it somewhat. As far as keyboards I have a small case that holds the Ipad, Apple BT keyboard and charger. It can fit in a briefcase or be carried separately. The case is from SFBags.com and is great. The keyboard is the same as i use for my desktop so it is a perfectly good keyboard.

The two things I can't do now with the iPad are edit documents while tracking changes and use Dragon Dictate for speech to text. I may have a workaround on the latter however if I can access the Dragon instance on my work desktop with a VPN connection from the Dragon microphone on my iPhone or Ipad.
The Dragon Dictate workaround did work. I was able to access my iMac desktop in my office from my iPad without using a VPN connection using LogMeIn Ignition. I started Dragon Dictate and set it to use the iPhone microphone profile. Once it started I connected with WiFi on the iPhone and then started VPN on the phone. I then went to the Dragon microphone app on the phone and started it and clicked on the microphone bottom. On my iMacs screen the permission button came on asking if the phone could connect. I Approved the connection and a dictation box appeared on the screen. I used the iPad app to put the cursor in the dictation box and then started talking into the phone, the words started appearing on my desktop.

Now the editing with track changes. Have to think about that a bit more.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by planemechanic
I have had to remove my iPad at several US airports, so your comment is not completely true.
That is not in keeping with the TSA guidelines.
Traveling with E-readers, Netbooks, and Other Small Gadgets (Including the iPad)
Great question! Electronic items smaller than the standard sized laptop should not need to be removed from your bag or their cases. It’s that simple.

<snip>

Only electronics the size of a standard laptop or larger (for example Playstation®, Xbox™, or Nintendo®), full-size DVD players, and video cameras that use video cassettes must be removed from their carrying cases and submitted separately for x-ray screening. Removing larger electronics helps us get a better look at them and also allows us to get a better look at the contents of your bag.
Laptops, Full-size Video Game Consoles and Other Large Electronics
Effective August 4, 2007, laptop computers, full-size video game consoles (for example Playstation®, X-box®, or Nintendo®), full-size DVD players, and video cameras that use video cassettes must be removed from their carrying cases and submitted separately for x-ray screening. Laptop computers and video cameras that use cassettes have long been subject to this policy.

What Needs to be Screened Separately

• Laptops
  • Full-size video game consoles
  • Full-size DVD players
  • Video cameras that use video cassettes
  • CPAP breathing machines

Small and portable electronic items do not need to be removed from their carrying cases.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:50 pm

Maybe not but every time I have left it in they say they cant see well enough and take it out of the bag and re run it. I dont even bother anymore, I just take it out.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Maybe not but every time I have left it in they say they cant see well enough and take it out of the bag and re run it. I dont even bother anymore, I just take it out.
The TSA Blog proffers the following recommendation:
The key to avoiding bag searches is keeping the clutter down. The less clutter you have in your bag, the less likely it will be searched.
(I should not have snipped that sentence in my earlier post)
Old Aug 18, 2011, 8:03 pm

My favorite is Note Taker HD.
Thanks, will keep in mind to try out.
Also, keep us informed re dragon dictation project -- curious how that works out.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I haven't actually tried deleting directly FROM the card while viewing ON the ipad 2, not sure if that will work. I have used a third party product called PHOTOGENE (2.99$ in the app store) to import and edit these raw files but they can only be exported at a smaller roughly 10MB format, so that is limited but the resident RAW original file is kept intact
My current travel workflow:
- each evening download all the pictures via camera connector kit
- go to "latest import" folder in Photos
- cull photos
- go to the "camera" folder to show the files on the card
- you will see that the "good" files show check marks, and the ones you deleted don't
- check the ones you culled out to delete, and delete them off the card, leave all the others
- when you get home, download the files from the card to your "real" computer for aperture, Lightroom, whatever

This will gove you the original plus a backup and makes the work when you get home a lot quicker

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.