Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going all Ipad

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by nmenaker
not sure exactly what is going on here, I shoot mostly raw or raw+jpeg and can import all these combinations to the ipad 2 with the connection kit no problem, either from the camera directly or putting an SD card into the slot, or putting the CF card into a CF reader and putting that into the USB slot or direct USB from a canon 20d, 50d 5dMkII or 7d - these are all CF cameras.
I also shoot raw+jpeg on a 7D. Both can be imported into the iPad 2 via the camera connection. However, using a CF reader on the USB cable produces a "draws too much power" error message on the iPad 2. Sounds like you've either found a CF adapter that doesn't have this problem, or you're using an adapter that has an external power source. (Direct import from the camera is not affected as the camera is powered and draws no power from the iPad port).

I'm not alone with the problem, there are plenty of reports on the photo forums that Apple made a software change with iOS 4 that reduces the allowable current draw on the camera adapter port.

the images come into the native photo client and show RAW and can be displayed, deleted or transferred back out to the computer later either directly into iphoto aperture. I am sure there are other ways to remove them. As for culling, I do it on the ipad sometimes, but use the storage (only have the 32GB version) to dump several 8GB cards onto - that is usually enough for me for a 2 week safari or big international adventure trip. The one thing the ipad 2 WON'T import is the movie files, which is a bummer but as well they are HUGE.
The iPad will display jpegs. The Canon RAW files have an imbedded, low resolution jpeg in the file - that's what the iPad displays... it won't display the full raw image (some 3rd party apps might, but the Apple app won't).

My issue is not writing the image out to an attached computer via iTunes.... I want to writing the image back out to a memory card attached to the camera port - that can't be done, and even the Apple folks in the stores admit it can't be done. I want to use the iPad to copy the pictures from camera/camera card to another memory card as a backup in case something happens to the original.

Apple has made it clear that they don't want folks doing this, instead preferring that folks use a computer to facilitate the transfer. That attitude limits the utility of the iPad for traveling (as you have to carry something else) when a very simple change can fix the problem. The ipad cannot act as a simple file-copy machine.

I have acquired an app from Thecus that is supposed to let me transfer files directly to my Thecus NAS without hooking the iPad up to a computer. With a VPN to get behind my firewall, this may be a solution where I can get true high-speed unlimited service. It won't work where I have a bunch of large raw files and a 5GB internet service limit (say, a mobile connection). I haven't had time to work with it yet.

I haven't actually tried deleting directly FROM the card while viewing ON the ipad 2, not sure if that will work. I have used a third party product called PHOTOGENE (2.99$ in the app store) to import and edit these raw files but they can only be exported at a smaller roughly 10MB format, so that is limited but the resident RAW original file is kept intact
Deleting from the card is supposed to work, though I've not tested it. Exporting to a smaller format is really not acceptable for my intended use.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Deleting from the card is supposed to work, though I've not tested it. Exporting to a smaller format is really not acceptable for my intended use.
Deleting from the card definitely works. See my workflow above.

Photogene (which I use also) and all other apps I am aware of work on the small imbedded JPG only, they never touch the RAW file, so when you export THAT, it is still "full size".

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that the iPad is a replacement for a "real" computer for hardcore RAW developing and image manipulation. For me, it is EXTREMELY valuable as a photo-review/culling device to post either unmodified or lightly modified JPGS to Facebook etc to share with family while I'm on the road.

If you think about your needs, I don't see why not being able to write to a card is a problem. (Cool your jets a minute - I agree with you that it's ridiculous that it can't be done, but I just accept that for now and work around that limitation) Just leave the originals on the card, hold the backup copy on the iPad, or use the iPad to send them to Dropbox or your NAS system (a really cool option BTW, as it will save you having to upload when you get home)

To me, the size, weight, and TSA benefits of the iPad so far and away exceed its limitations that I can't travel without it. For damn sure won't travel with a "real" laptop ever again - if the ipad2 gets replaced, it will be by another tablet.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:49 am

I travel with a D300 and a 32gb CF card. Every couple of days I transfer the photos from the CF card to my laptop, and also copy them to a USB powered hard drive - that way I always have my photos in at least 2 locations once I transfer them from my CF card.

As soon as any decent tablet supports this properly, I'll start traveling with it and not my Thinkpad T400s. I just need proper file management & ability to manage external storage.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by ~tc~
I don't think anyone here is suggesting that the iPad is a replacement for a "real" computer for hardcore RAW developing and image manipulation.
Including me. I'll handle the raw files with Lightroom or Photoshop. Or another program.
For me, it is EXTREMELY valuable as a photo-review/culling device to post either unmodified or lightly modified JPGS to Facebook etc to share with family while I'm on the road.
I haven't enough time under my belt yet, but I'd prefer to do that on a Unix server as opposed to Facebook. (I feel a lot better about using a box under my control). Does iPad support standard unix protocols such as FTP and Telnet/SSH? If not, I'll have to reconfigure the NAS and let it operate as file storage for the Unix box.
If you think about your needs, I don't see why not being able to write to a card is a problem. (Cool your jets a minute - I agree with you that it's ridiculous that it can't be done, but I just accept that for now and work around that limitation) Just leave the originals on the card, hold the backup copy on the iPad, or use the iPad to send them to Dropbox or your NAS system (a really cool option BTW, as it will save you having to upload when you get home)
That's an OK work around as far as it goes.

It's fine for a short trip, but I've been known to shoot as much as 48 GB of photos on a longer trip, and not have enough time to cull them until my return. Put a couple of movies on the ipad & internal storage becomes an issue. Can't usually ship the raw files home due to bandwidth (believe me, I've tried with my netbook....)

Among other things, I carry a full set of aviation charts/plates on the iPad and use it as an EFB when I'm flying a private plane. It really excels at that application, especially since one can now run an XM weather receiver with it. The aviation stuff is 8-10 GB alone.

To me, the size, weight, and TSA benefits of the iPad so far and away exceed its limitations that I can't travel without it. For damn sure won't travel with a "real" laptop ever again - if the ipad2 gets replaced, it will be by another tablet.
That's my goal. Even the netbook is inconvenient compared to the pad.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Does iPad support standard unix protocols such as FTP and Telnet/SSH? If not, I'll have to reconfigure the NAS and let it operate as file storage for the Unix box.
there are many ftp, ssh and telnet apps available on the app store.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by pdxer
there are many ftp, ssh and telnet apps available on the app store.
Superb. That's what I needed to know, now that I have the VPN working well & the cross-subnet links working.

Just tested the Thecus app - works very well with both the iPad & android phone on the LAN/WLAN. Almost like internal storage (as it should be). With the Android on VZ using the VPN, it's slow but tolerable - no worse than Facebook or flickr. Likewise the iPad on a hotspot on either VZ or ATT.

The NAS is also supposed to support Time Machine, but I have yet to try.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Not everywhere, nor if you have too many other things in your bag.
Planemechanic, have you been asked to take one out of a bag? I've been through security in most major US cities and never been asked. Also a few international cities.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Scott H
Planemechanic, have you been asked to take one out of a bag? I've been through security in most major US cities and never been asked. Also a few international cities.
For me they ask every time. So I gave up after a while. It even drew a complete pat down search and bag take apart once at JFK. Took like 20 extra minutes.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
I have only been asked to take mine out once - it was definitely a new TSA agent in training, and I have all kinds of cameras, lenses, chargers, etc in that bag. IMHO, they made me take it out so they wouldn't have to look at the screen as much.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by ~tc~
I have only been asked to take mine out once - it was definitely a new TSA agent in training, and I have all kinds of cameras, lenses, chargers, etc in that bag. IMHO, they made me take it out so they wouldn't have to look at the screen as much.
Yes. A couple times they explained it to me that with the iPad in there it was to "busy" to see clearly. I think they were being candid. In suspect that in an empty bag or a bag with some clothes it would be fine. But with lots of other small electronics it pushes it over in terms of seeing clearly.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scott H
Yes, several times at different airports, US and International.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Yes, several times at different airports, US and International.
Hmmm, I've never been asked. I'm guessing it might be related to the amount of stuff that is carried. I carry it through in a backpack that also has charger, a Flip, a small p&s camera, BT keyboard for the iPad, and some documents. Maybe you have more stuff you are carrying through.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time for me, but I enjoy not having to take it out now.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
I've never been asked to take out my iPad.

I've gone iPad only for a few trips (vacations only) - definitely frees up a lot of space and since I didn't need to do any REAL work, it was fine. Emails / Web were fine for checking in on things. I definitely need to get some sort of keyboard for it. Typing on a screen gets tough when sending longer messages.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Never asked to remove iPad inside the USA.

Overseas, every single time I must remove it. Europe, Asia...doesn't matter. I always ask and they always say to remove it.
Old May 9, 2013, 2:29 pm

My biggest problem just traveling w/iPad is font size in emails/texts. You cannot change it.

Any ideas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.