Anyone Have Virgin Mobile Mifi Wifi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Have Virgin Mobile Mifi Wifi

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:16 pm

Out of stock everywhere

I procrastinated buying this, and now it's out of stock everywhere, including Virgin Mobile, online and by phone. If you want it and see it somewhere, buy it!
Old Sep 8, 2010, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by try2cook
I procrastinated buying this, and now it's out of stock everywhere, including Virgin Mobile, online and by phone. If you want it and see it somewhere, buy it!
Very popular device. Which means a lot more traffic on Virgin, which means slower speeds for all...
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:07 pm

I recently added the Virgin Mobile Mifi 2200 to my Air Boss. Now I travel with an Apple Airport Express (AE) plus a shielded LAN cable and a shielded inline coupler that protects the LAN cable plugs in the bag (shielded is your friend in Europe).

So, to get online:

If the hotel offers free wireless Internet, I use that service and a virtual private network (VPN) encrypting and routing all traffic into my company server because I do not control the wireless network.

If the hotel offers free wired Internet, I use that service via the AE for general browsing and the VPN as needed.

If the hotel charges $20 per day for Internet, I unpack my Mifi, give them the finger and use the Mifi and the VPN as applicable.

The Mifi is a pretty decent add-on. The speeds are not particularly high, I have seen 300 kbps - 1.5 Mbps down / 100 kbps - 500 kbps up. I would definitely call the speed unreliable, but then this practically means that e-mails take a few seconds longer to send and receive. What I like the most about the Mifi is that you basically have to add $10 once a year to keep your account alive. Other than that you pay when you need it, though I am somewhat partial to the $40 for 30 days unlimited data plan, simply because 100 MB sound a lot, but they are really not, especially if you connect a couple PCs to the Mifi (5 max.).

All in all I am very satisfied with the Mifi because I bought it in order to fill a certain niche. I did evaluate if it could be used as primary connection, e.g. to drop the cable Internet at home, but I do not believe that to be realistic at this time.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Sam5
I recently added the Virgin Mobile Mifi 2200 to my Air Boss. Now I travel with an Apple Airport Express (AE) plus a shielded LAN cable and a shielded inline coupler that protects the LAN cable plugs in the bag (shielded is your friend in Europe).

So, to get online:

If the hotel offers free wireless Internet, I use that service and a virtual private network (VPN) encrypting and routing all traffic into my company server because I do not control the wireless network.

If the hotel offers free wired Internet, I use that service via the AE for general browsing and the VPN as needed.

If the hotel charges $20 per day for Internet, I unpack my Mifi, give them the finger and use the Mifi and the VPN as applicable.

The Mifi is a pretty decent add-on. The speeds are not particularly high, I have seen 300 kbps - 1.5 Mbps down / 100 kbps - 500 kbps up. I would definitely call the speed unreliable, but then this practically means that e-mails take a few seconds longer to send and receive. What I like the most about the Mifi is that you basically have to add $10 once a year to keep your account alive. Other than that you pay when you need it, though I am somewhat partial to the $40 for 30 days unlimited data plan, simply because 100 MB sound a lot, but they are really not, especially if you connect a couple PCs to the Mifi (5 max.).

All in all I am very satisfied with the Mifi because I bought it in order to fill a certain niche. I did evaluate if it could be used as primary connection, e.g. to drop the cable Internet at home, but I do not believe that to be realistic at this time.
Thanks for the detailed analysis, sam5! (I may pm you later to ask about vpn.)

Happy update: I found what must've been the last store within 25 miles to have the Virgin Mobile MiFi. I normally don't shop at Wal-Mart, but the one I visited today made me very happy. They held the last one in stock long enough for me to get over there. At first the clerk I spoke with thought holding it wouldn't be necessary. When she checked, she found there was only one. I know the speeds won't be great, especially now that the device is so well publicized and popular. Where I have to go sometimes, like this Friday, I'll be grateful for any connectivity. When I'm not in the sticks, I'll be sooo glad not to pay for connectivity I'm not using.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:34 pm

extend the battery time?

Got my Virgin Mobile MiFi yesterday. Tried modifying the config file to allow it to stay live while connected via usb with no success. Anyone have any luck doing this?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:06 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I have read that the hack to enable wifi when connected to the computer will not work on the Virgin device, only Verizon and Sprint.

One website says the line you have to change is not even in the configuration file.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:23 pm

The wifi does stay hot when plugged into the AC charger, and that mostly solves my problem. The data cable solution of adding the line to the config file did not work on the Virgin MiFi. May try purchasing a "micro usb charging-only cable" and see if that works, but at least I have one way to keep the unit working for more than 4 hours when needed. Thanks, all!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looks interesting...but I'd want to see a 4G model (Sprint offers 4G service in my area) and a way to keep it alive and running when connected to just my Mac Airport and VOIP router and not a computer.

If I can get near-Cable speeds with 4G, the $30/m savings is enough for me to ditch Comcast.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Looks interesting...but I'd want to see a 4G model (Sprint offers 4G service in my area) and a way to keep it alive and running when connected to just my Mac Airport and VOIP router and not a computer.
In post #13, ScottC inferred that Virgin would never offer a 4G "flavor" of the devices (the mi-fi or the stick).

My guess is that this is to make anyone wanting/needing 4G to sign up for a contract plan.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
Can it be used in Europe?

I was under the impression that the Mifi and the unlimited access was a US only option and could not be used in Europe.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by entrada
I was under the impression that the Mifi and the unlimited access was a US only option and could not be used in Europe.
See post #13
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen

If I can get near-Cable speeds with 4G, the $30/m savings is enough for me to ditch Comcast.
Check Rover.com - the new prepaid no contract 4G option from Clear.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ScottC
Check Rover.com - the new prepaid no contract 4G option from Clear.
Rover is 4G only with no 3G backup... this makes coverage EXTREMELY limited.

Comcast customers should check the 3G/4G Clear add-on... it's a pretty good deal if you already have Comcast cable internet service.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
In post #13, ScottC inferred that Virgin would never offer a 4G "flavor" of the devices (the mi-fi or the stick).

My guess is that this is to make anyone wanting/needing 4G to sign up for a contract plan.

That's not how I read the post, the question was will this device work on 4g when it's available, and the answer was no, as the device does not support 4g, and it will never support 4g.

I would venture to say if it's successful and once they get people hooked on it, they (Virgin) will offer a similar plan for 4G following and using the same product Sprint is currently using, probably at a few dollars more.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:00 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
A minor update: today I logged in to check my usage. In the 2 weeks since buying the device, I have used 9,997.4 mb of bandwidth. It appears that Virgin Mobile is completely on the level with their unlimited bandwidth offer- my speeds and connection have not been affected at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.