Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Have Virgin Mobile Mifi Wifi

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2010, 7:16 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by planemechanic
The only way to do it is to use a cable as mentioned above, a charge only cable, not a data cable.
or plugged into a wall, as I'm doing right now.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkt
True, I was assuming they were somewhere that wasn't possible.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by mkt
Can I use my cell phone charger that ends with a mini USB plug?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
No - the MiFi is MicroUSB
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
No - the MiFi is MicroUSB
Okay, is there a mini-to-micro adapter? I was thinking of using my automobile cell phone charger to run Mifi.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
You can get a mini to micro usb adapter for under $2 or $3, it's what I use for it so I don't need two chargers.

Course, shipping will cost more than the product, so you probably want to wait until you have enough to get free shipping from Amazon or whatever.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Anyone else considering the new Virgin Mobile $25 plan on their android phone JUST for WiFi Tether? The phone would be $100 more than the MiFi, but the plan savings would justify it after 7 months. It would require a root, but that's extremely easy these days.

Either this, or the new TMobile pre-paid plan with its $1.50/day web-pass on an old G1 looks to be about the cheapest ways to get MiFi-like access.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:17 pm

First, thanks to cordelli for the tip in message #82. ^

Second, maybe I'm having a mental block on this, but my concern about MiFi boils down to one question:

If the battery is dead, and you have no access to AC power, is there any way you can power it off your USB port?

Alternatively, could you run it off the cigarette lighter socket in your car?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:45 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've not tried the usb port on a pc, but it should work. Though if you use the standard cable you will not have a wireless connection and have to be tethered unless you cut the data lines on your cable. Unless Virgin has changed that, but I don't know one way or the other.

If the battery is dead you can power it with anything that can power a usb device. A car charger, or my favorite those little duracell batteries that power a usb port.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
I've not tried the usb port on a pc, but it should work. Though if you use the standard cable you will not have a wireless connection and have to be tethered unless you cut the data lines on your cable. Unless Virgin has changed that, but I don't know one way or the other.

If the battery is dead you can power it with anything that can power a usb device. A car charger, or my favorite those little duracell batteries that power a usb port.
". . .unless you cut the data lines on your cable."

How do you do that? If you need to do that, doesn't somebody make a cable that's already set up this way?

It seems to me that with MiFi you cannot simply leave the device in your laptop bag; you have to leave it in the charger. That means it can be left behind.

If you take it and the battery goes dead, and you cannot wait to charge it up (or you have no access to a charger), you are out of luck. Is this a correct summary?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davestr
Sorry! It is the Rocketfish 18" cable RF-CA1MRA. It's a BestBuy product.
The information you want is in this thread, post #52. You need a cable, as mentioned above, that is "charge only". This cable can be found on eBay for $4.99 all the time.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 2:28 pm

charge only cable

Originally Posted by planemechanic
The information you want is in this thread, post #52. You need a cable, as mentioned above, that is "charge only". This cable can be found on eBay for $4.99 all the time.
The Rocketfish cable comes with a Mini to micro USB adapter, so if you take the adapter off you can also use it to charge your cell phone. Because it is "charge only" your cell phone won't reject it as so often happens with off-brand "data and charging" cables.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Anyone else considering the new Virgin Mobile $25 plan on their android phone JUST for WiFi Tether? The phone would be $100 more than the MiFi, but the plan savings would justify it after 7 months. It would require a root, but that's extremely easy these days.

Either this, or the new TMobile pre-paid plan with its $1.50/day web-pass on an old G1 looks to be about the cheapest ways to get MiFi-like access.
Easy for you perhaps. Would you explain what a "root" is, please?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I've been trying to charge the Mifi using the included USB cable and a car USB adaptor, and it doesn't seem to work, for some reason. Anyone else tried this?

That being said, the Mifi works great to give my iPod Touch good connectivity on just about all California highways tried so far. Don't need satellite radio now.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I've been trying to charge the Mifi using the included USB cable and a car USB adaptor, and it doesn't seem to work, for some reason. Anyone else tried this?

That being said, the Mifi works great to give my iPod Touch good connectivity on just about all California highways tried so far. Don't need satellite radio now.
Your answer lies just a short four posts above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.