Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Have Virgin Mobile Mifi Wifi

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Clear is limited enough that I wouldn't rely on it for travel unless I know I ONLY travel to locations that have coverage. If your travel patterns are more far reaching, without a 3G backup, you're currently likely to be without more often than you are with.
To me it is worth it just for Vegas

Without Clear during CES, I'd be screwed.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by davestr
Got my Virgin Mobile MiFi yesterday. Tried modifying the config file to allow it to stay live while connected via usb with no success. Anyone have any luck doing this?
Stumbled across this youtube video this morning of somebody who used the usb cable, cuts the data wires, and their mifi stays as a hotspot when connected to the computer.

Worth a shot if you get a cheap cable to try it on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apnT_n-KD9I
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:34 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Also stumbled across this $90 battery and door replacement cover that's supposed to extend the battery life 3 times. Of course it makes the device a bit larger

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_pa...oducts_id=2445

And an external battery for it

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_pa...oducts_id=1476
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:41 pm

Charging cable success!

The "Rocketfish" mini/micro usb charging cables that can be found on Ebay work fine and don't shut down the wifi. These cables come with a micro usb adapter. Take off the adapter and they will also charge most cell phones. Reviews on Amazon knock them for the short length and the fact that they are "charging only" cables but for MiFi users they work great!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davestr
The "Rockfish" mini/micro usb charging cables that can be found on Ebay work fine and don't shut down the wifi. These cables come with a micro usb adapter. Take off the adapter and they will also charge most cell phones. Reviews on Amazon knock them for the short length and the fact that they are "charging only" cables but for MiFi users they work great!

I believe you mean "rocketfish", not rockfish.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:17 pm

rocketfish cable

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Yes, it is the Rocketfish 18" cable RF-CA1MRA. It's a BestBuy product.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:18 pm

rocketfish cable

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Sorry! It is the Rocketfish 18" cable RF-CA1MRA. It's a BestBuy product.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:08 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Rover is 4G only with no 3G backup... this makes coverage EXTREMELY limited.

Comcast customers should check the 3G/4G Clear add-on... it's a pretty good deal if you already have Comcast cable internet service.
Is the comcast mobile broadband addon available in the Bay Area? I want to add it to my comcast cable modem service, but I don't see the option to purchase online for my address. I just get redirected to bundles, which I don't want.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

.................Comcast customers should check the 3G/4G Clear add-on... it's a pretty good deal if you already have Comcast cable internet service.
I searched comcast.net and comcast.com for an hour yesterday and couldnt find anything. I hate calling and listening to their idiot CRS trying to upsell me everything. Any link on that customer info.

MisterNice
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MisterNice
I searched comcast.net and comcast.com for an hour yesterday and couldnt find anything. I hate calling and listening to their idiot CRS trying to upsell me everything. Any link on that customer info.

MisterNice
I found it - but don't bother. The 'add-on' costs more than the base at-home service. I was quoted $55 a month on top of the base cable modem service.

No thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:08 am

I love my Virgin Mobile MiFi

I bought mine right after reading the NYT article by Pogue.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/te...h/02pogue.html (need free account to access NYT article)

He also posted an update here with additional info / clarifications:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/...sq=mifi&st=cse

Anyway, I bought mine right away because I had already been looking at a Verizon aircard which had a 2 year contract @ $60.00 / Mo.

So, in 3 weeks of usage, I really have not encountered a major negative.

I have:

- Used it in 3 states on travel. No problems. Already saved $36.00 in hotel wireless charges... Also used it in all the airports I have been through (even though some have their own free wifi).
- At a family gathering, I set it up and gave everyone the password and it became the de facto hub for the weekend... Laptops, iPhone's, iPod Touches - everyone using it for their wireless access. Facetime worked no problem.
- Set it up at home with 3 laptops and 1 iPod using it as our primary internet access for the past two weeks.
- Here are my speakeasy speeds right now: .95 Mbps download, .54 Mbps
- speakeasy.net/speedtest

Comcast is my primary home wired internet right now. After this post I'll switch over to my home wireless and post the speakeasy speeds so you have complete info.

I pay Comcast $59.95 (? or so?) a month just for wireless.

At $40 / mo, the MiFi is obviously a better deal - IF, and it is a big if, the speeds it offers meet ones internet usage needs.

We do not have netflix / download movies. Using iTunes, music and podcasts download fast enough...

So far I have not cancelled my Comcast, but I am leaning in that direction...

Anyone have additional thoughts on making a MiFi your primary home internet connection?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:14 am

OK, here are my Comcast stats to compare to the MiFi... As you can see, a LOT faster, which is the reason I have not (yet) decided to abandon Comcast and go exclusively with the MiFi...

www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

Comcast:
Download 3.19 Mbps, Upload 2.81 Mbps
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
Posting this while cruising on Amtrak; WAS-NYP. Besides the couple of tunnels, I haven't dropped yet. Speed isn't terrible either. I'll see how well it holds up while in NYC, though.

Fantastic value given the big guys want you to sign your life away for two years. I've been seeing more and more articles pop up about the value of this service so we see how long it actually sticks around.

You better be pretty good with computers or know someone that is. Numerous reports online about terrible technical support over the phone.

Here's a speed test... little bit past Philly:

Download Speed: 265 kbps (33.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 228 kbps (28.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
(Server was in NYC)

Last edited by MM983; Oct 1, 2010 at 10:02 am
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by try2cook
I procrastinated buying this, and now it's out of stock everywhere, including Virgin Mobile, online and by phone. If you want it and see it somewhere, buy it!
Got one at Best Buy in San Carlos, CA today. They had many more there.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Sam5
I recently added the Virgin Mobile Mifi 2200 to my Air Boss. Now I travel with an Apple Airport Express (AE) plus a shielded LAN cable and a shielded inline coupler that protects the LAN cable plugs in the bag (shielded is your friend in Europe).

So, to get online:

If the hotel offers free wireless Internet, I use that service and a virtual private network (VPN) encrypting and routing all traffic into my company server because I do not control the wireless network.

If the hotel offers free wired Internet, I use that service via the AE for general browsing and the VPN as needed.

If the hotel charges $20 per day for Internet, I unpack my Mifi, give them the finger and use the Mifi and the VPN as applicable.
Thanks for that review...!

Anyone found a solution for sparing the AE in that scenario?

I am currently thinking about buying somethin similar to the MiFi, but a gadget with a LAN-port would be the perfect add-on form my point of view.

As Sam wrote, there are different scenarios to cover:
- LAN in the hote room (probably free) that I want to use with WLAN devices
- pricey LAN or WLAN or no access at all that I want to cover with a UMTS device which should be mobile

Do I really need two devices for that solution?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.