Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Have Virgin Mobile Mifi Wifi

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
California coverage seems pretty good. Used mine on Caltrain from Palo Alto to AT&T Park (Go Giants!) in The City with no problems, including streaming video from my Slingbox, then driving from the Bay Area to Fresno used it to stream audio the whole way to my iPod Touch. Great, essentially like satellite radio but with any podcast you want as well.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by MLang2
Thanks for that review...!

Anyone found a solution for sparing the AE in that scenario?

I am currently thinking about buying somethin similar to the MiFi, but a gadget with a LAN-port would be the perfect add-on form my point of view.

As Sam wrote, there are different scenarios to cover:
- LAN in the hote room (probably free) that I want to use with WLAN devices
- pricey LAN or WLAN or no access at all that I want to cover with a UMTS device which should be mobile

Do I really need two devices for that solution?
Close to being your all in one solution = Cradlepoint CTR500

It does your wireless, Cellular Broadband, LAN, and I think it can relay.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Flahusky
Close to being your all in one solution = Cradlepoint CTR500

It does your wireless, Cellular Broadband, LAN, and I think it can relay.
Thanks!

Ordered the Huawei yesterday, there was a special offer for that. I will try it on my next trip and then decide to keep it or not.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
..............I pay Comcast $59.95 (? or so?) a month just for wireless.

At $40 / mo, the MiFi is obviously a better deal - IF, and it is a big if, the speeds it offers meet ones internet usage needs.

We do not have netflix / download movies. Using iTunes, music and podcasts download fast enough...

So far I have not cancelled my Comcast, but I am leaning in that direction...

Anyone have additional thoughts on making a MiFi your primary home internet connection?
If you get any cable tv service from Comcast they will knock $15/mo off your total monthly bill. I pay $44/mo for 22/4 service plus my tv cost. Mifi is 3G so you will never set most cable internet speeds.

MisterNice
Old Oct 8, 2010, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Any news on how well the Mifi works on airplanes yet?

Old Oct 9, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Any news on how well the Mifi works on airplanes yet?

I read a handwritten note in a Skymall magazine that said depending on the flight path, that it works pretty well on the east coast
Old Oct 9, 2010, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flahusky
I read a handwritten note in a Skymall magazine that said depending on the flight path, that it works pretty well on the east coast
Old Oct 9, 2010, 9:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've seen quite a few mifi signals on planes, never tried mine (seriously, I never did) but I know many other people have been using them. No clue how well they did or did not work.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:40 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I tried it... MIA-MCO-MIA. It didn't work.

Bah, humbug.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:19 pm

Im currently trying out the VM mifi, and its actually decent, its cheap but not as good in some areas...its about 2MB speed and theres a bunch of dead spots..not desired for gaming, downloading, uploading, or video streaming, its basically just for simple web uses
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:41 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by lobopack23
Im currently trying out the VM mifi, and its actually decent, its cheap but not as good in some areas...its about 2MB speed and theres a bunch of dead spots..not desired for gaming, downloading, uploading, or video streaming, its basically just for simple web uses

Welcome to FlyerTalk lobopack23!

My overall opinion was the VM mifi was a PITA. Activations, log-ins, reception, speeds, etc. I returned it.

-Schoflyer
Old Oct 15, 2010, 5:39 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I have the USB version of the Virgin MiFi. I'm disappointed with the speed. I tried it around town in SF, and in Newark Airport couple of days ago. I'm keeping it, because its still better than the USB modem I was using previously with my hackintosh, and I like having no contract and the option to pay $10 for light usage or $40 for unlimited. But it is way too slow for anything but basic email and web browsing.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aau
I have the USB version of the Virgin MiFi. I'm disappointed with the speed. I tried it around town in SF, and in Newark Airport couple of days ago. I'm keeping it, because its still better than the USB modem I was using previously with my hackintosh, and I like having no contract and the option to pay $10 for light usage or $40 for unlimited. But it is way too slow for anything but basic email and web browsing.
The Virgin USB modem is not a MiFi - just a regular 3G modem like any other.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
If anyone here has hands-on experience with the Virgin Mobile MiFi, I'd appreciate knowing about the charging.

If the device runs out of charge can you use it like a cell phone with it plugged into a charger?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
If anyone here has hands-on experience with the Virgin Mobile MiFi, I'd appreciate knowing about the charging.

If the device runs out of charge can you use it like a cell phone with it plugged into a charger?
The only way to do it is to use a cable as mentioned above, a charge only cable, not a data cable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.