Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Have Virgin Mobile Mifi Wifi

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkt
A minor update: today I logged in to check my usage. In the 2 weeks since buying the device, I have used 9,997.4 mb of bandwidth. It appears that Virgin Mobile is completely on the level with their unlimited bandwidth offer- my speeds and connection have not been affected at all.
What is your typical D/L and U/L speed? I talked with Verizon yesterday and found I can get 3G tethering with them for my Blackberry Bold for $20/mo with no contract and a 5gb cap (or no cap) but they were not certain if the cap applies. I ordered a $2 cable for a cheap test and will try when it arrives (Verizon wanted $20 for the cable).

MisterNice
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:30 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
It depends on the signal strength. Thankfully that can change with simple repositioning.

With 5 bars and EV-DO rev.A I get anywhere from 600kbps-1.1mbps down, and 300k-900k up.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by MisterNice
What is your typical D/L and U/L speed? I talked with Verizon yesterday and found I can get 3G tethering with them for my Blackberry Bold for $20/mo with no contract and a 5gb cap (or no cap) but they were not certain if the cap applies. I ordered a $2 cable for a cheap test and will try when it arrives (Verizon wanted $20 for the cable).

MisterNice
Be careful about that... the $20 wifi hot-spot add-on to a Droid has a 2 GB cap. Normal tethering is $30 w/a 5 GB cap.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Rover is 4G only with no 3G backup... this makes coverage EXTREMELY limited.

Comcast customers should check the 3G/4G Clear add-on... it's a pretty good deal if you already have Comcast cable internet service.
Yes, I know - I'm the one that first mentioned the Comcast route in this thread

The poster in question mentioned that he is in the Clear coverage area, so the Rover may work well for him. I'd also not call Clear "extremely" limited, if you travel mainly to major cities, you'll find it quite regularly. But I agree - it is most certainly not as common as 3G. I use the Clear 3G/4G USB adapter, and it serves me very well.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by ScottC
Check Rover.com - the new prepaid no contract 4G option from Clear.
I checked it and when I saw $5 a day, only when you use it, I would have signed up on the spot.

Until I saw that there is no coverage in New York City.

Old Sep 13, 2010, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I checked it and when I saw $5 a day, only when you use it, I would have signed up on the spot.

Until I saw that there is no coverage in New York City.

NYC coverage was turned on today
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:29 pm

NYC coverage was turned on today
Excellent. Thank you for letting me know.

So, to be sure, do you recommend this? Have you tried it?
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:38 pm

Check Rover.com - the new prepaid no contract 4G option from Clear.
Interestingly enough, Clear sent me an offer by US Mail yesterday. Needless to say, I am not a Comcast customer as they aren't in Brooklyn.

Excellent. Thank you for letting me know.

So, to be sure, do you recommend this? Have you tried it?
Hold on a moment. I just checked the Rover website and the following ZIP codes show no coverage:

10007 (City Hall)

10019 (Rockefeller Center area)

10021 (Upper East Side)

10036 (West Side)

11201 (Brooklyn Heights)

ScottC, do you have a source within the company who can confirm they are on in New York City?
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interestingly enough, Clear sent me an offer by US Mail yesterday. Needless to say, I am not a Comcast customer as they aren't in Brooklyn.

Hold on a moment. I just checked the Rover website and the following ZIP codes show no coverage:

10007 (City Hall)

10019 (Rockefeller Center area)

10021 (Upper East Side)

10036 (West Side)

11201 (Brooklyn Heights)

ScottC, do you have a source within the company who can confirm they are on in New York City?
Article was on Gizmodo yesterday - with some real life experiences in the comments section. Sounds more like they are driving from tower to tower to turn them on.

http://gizmodo.com/5636930/4g-wireless-hits-ny-and-la
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:48 pm

Article was on Gizmodo yesterday - with some real life experiences in the comments section. Sounds more like they are driving from tower to tower to turn them on.

http://gizmodo.com/5636930/4g-wireless-hits-ny-and-la
The Gizmodo article seems to be about Clear only.

I called Rover tech support. Guy there (actually PHX) says they're working on NYC but has no more information.

What a pity!
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Gizmodo article seems to be about Clear only.

I called Rover tech support. Guy there (actually PHX) says they're working on NYC but has no more information.

What a pity!
Rover = Clearwire = Clear.

Their company branding is horribly confusing, but Rover is the brand name of the prepaid service from Clearwire, which is the network operator that Clear runs on. And to make it even more confusion, Comcast and Sprint both use that network as their own 4G network as well...
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:56 pm

Rover = Clearwire = Clear.

Their company branding is horribly confusing, but Rover is the brand name of the prepaid service from Clearwire, which is the network operator that Clear runs on. And to make it even more confusion, Comcast and Sprint both use that network as their own 4G network as well...
Got you. But it doesn't make any sense for me to by a device when the seller (i.e. Rover) is not willing to say it works here even if I hear that other, perhaps related, ones are working.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rover seems pretty cool, but when I need tethering I just use wifi tethering on my Nexus One.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:20 pm

Update

I called the number on the Clear leaflet that came in the US Mail yesterday.

When I asked about NYC coverage, they wanted a specific address so I gave them a Rockefeller Center building and they said not yet covered.

Although this may eventually turn out to be a great product and service (either Clear or Rover) and I may even wind up as a customer, for today, it looks like a very amateurish marketing effort.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The poster in question mentioned that he is in the Clear coverage area, so the Rover may work well for him. I'd also not call Clear "extremely" limited, if you travel mainly to major cities, you'll find it quite regularly. But I agree - it is most certainly not as common as 3G. I use the Clear 3G/4G USB adapter, and it serves me very well.
Clear is limited enough that I wouldn't rely on it for travel unless I know I ONLY travel to locations that have coverage. If your travel patterns are more far reaching, without a 3G backup, you're currently likely to be without more often than you are with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.