Wiki Posts
Search

[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by noobflyer
USA with AT&T:

US providers don't usually allow you to have a plan without data if you have a smartphone. I was allowed to get this plan without data, but that might have been a fluke.
Not completely true. Next time pickup a SIM for H2O wireless. You have to pay monthly to get data but it's much more reasonable and comes with a ton of minutes. Or go prepaid for $.05 for minutes and sms. Data is steep at $.3/MB but when ya need it ya need it. They also claim "free" international calling at the same rate as domestic to certain countries.

https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageC...ans&category=W

You can pick up their SIM cards online for $1 on Ebay. Ship to your hotel or friend here.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
What are some options for a locked AT&T iPhone 4? I am not at the end of my contract and despite having the same account since 2003 I do not think they will unlock my phone. We will be in France and Germany for 10 days.
You don't know if you don't call. Give them a ring and see what they say. My friend got them to transfer the iPhone to a different "contract" on the plan (family plan). Remember the reps make $ selling contracts so they might help you figure something out (see below)

An interesting option for you would be to buyout the rest of your contract, I think it's $20/mo. Compare that to the $50 to buy an unlock from Gevey as mentioned above. That might be a lot of work for 10 days

Then sign up for a new contract and get the new iPhone. They can then unlock your old one. Take the old one w you to Europe. When you get home, used unlocked iPhones 4's are going for $350, 4S even more. You'll make money on the deal

Let us know what u do
Old Sep 28, 2012, 1:49 am

Good option for travelling in Europe

New substitutional solution for self acquired prepaid sims is Goodspeed travel dongle. Service takes care about all sims I need in destination and fees are fixed. Currently there are 7 countries available, but new destinations are been promised during this year. Works for me!

Last edited by FrequentTraveller43; Sep 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:51 am

Good option for travelling in Europe

Travel dongle can be found from company's websites (www.uros.com)

Last edited by FrequentTraveller43; Sep 30, 2012 at 12:26 pm
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum
nano sim

Anyone know if nano sims are available outside the US for prepaid SIMs?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by earny
Any SIM can be converted to a nano SIM; all you need is a knife/scissors.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by moondog
Any SIM can be converted to a nano SIM; all you need is a knife/scissors.
I know you could do that for a SIM-->Micro SIM, but I didn't know it was possible to do it for a Nano SIM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
I know you could do that for a SIM-->Micro SIM, but I didn't know it was possible to do it for a Nano SIM.
I've seen lots of articles describing how to cut and lots of devices to do it, but I haven't seen many reports on whether or not cutting works. Early indications are that it works, but I've only seen a very few reports. Anyone here make it work?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:24 pm
AAL

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
What are some options for a locked AT&T iPhone 4? I am not at the end of my contract and despite having the same account since 2003 I do not think they will unlock my phone. We will be in France and Germany for 10 days.
With a locked phone, I think your only choice is one of the AT&T plans. The right plan depends on what you will use your phone for. For me, it's worth a big data plan so I can check maps and access my email when not on wifi. My husband goes without, and keeps data roaming turned off.

Another option is to buy a cheap unlocked phone and a sim card, which we did for one of our travel partners who had a phone that wouldn't work in Europe.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by earny
Nearly all are micros so only way is to just cut them, I guess.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by FrequentTraveller43
Hopefully this begins to change with the introduction of the iPhone 5.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum
I guess I'll have to buy a nano sim cutter and carry it around or hope stores have one abroad.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FrequentTraveller43
Cut and sandpaper/shave them down is what I was told at first, but cutting them down alone (without shaving/sandpaper-ing) has been reported to work.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:22 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Cut and sandpaper/shave them down is what I was told at first, but cutting them down alone (without shaving/sandpaper-ing) has been reported to work.
Depends on the thickness of the original sim - cutting my micro down to nano worked in the iPhone 5 for me...
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Interesting that the VZ iPhone is unlocked. A lot of European carriers have iPhone-specific prepaid plans so I'm sure they will sell prepaid nano SIMs.

But those plans typically have low caps and they're really for iPhone use only. Would be great if you can enable personal hot spot and get enough data to use with laptops and iPads because a lot of hotel Wifi services are overpriced and/or very slow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.