Reload this Page >

[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:25 am

You might contact Xcom in California to see if they offer service in Peru.

I would ask for an email response to pin them down.
Old May 5, 2012, 3:09 pm

Greece - Cell Phone

The more research I do the more lost I get. I ready many of the posts on here but I am confused and if I read the information that pertained to my situation perhaps I did not realize it.
With that said, I have tried to research numerous sites for a trip to Greece/Rome.

I have a Tmobile Samsung Galaxy. My research says that if I take my phone and even if it is off and I get phone calls I will be charged international fees.

I read to buy a Razr off Ebay and use that and purchase a Sim card once
on our trip.

I am not a technology person I am so confused. I have children at home who will need to be getting ahold of me when I am traveling and I would like to send text messages, emails and chat on the phone.

I feel if I go into a location being so uneducated that I can easily be taken advantage of and end up paying more than I hope to.

Would someone be so kind as to offer (without insult) any information you can so that I know what my best option is for using a phone while on vacation.

Thank you in advance.
Old May 5, 2012, 3:41 pm

No. If the phone is off, you will not be charged. If that phone is unlocked, you can get a local sim card at your destination, and use that for your local and international calls. You can also give that number out to the folks at home, should they need to reach you. If your phone is not unlocked, contact tmobile for the unlock code. They should give it it out if you are a customer in good standing. If for some reason you cannot get the unlock code from tmobile, you can get it from a 3rd party, ebay, etc. for a small fee. OTOH, you can just get a basic/cheap unlocked phone and pop a local sim into it.

Originally Posted by Stars4SA
The more research I do the more lost I get. I ready many of the posts on here but I am confused and if I read the information that pertained to my situation perhaps I did not realize it.
With that said, I have tried to research numerous sites for a trip to Greece/Rome.

I have a Tmobile Samsung Galaxy. My research says that if I take my phone and even if it is off and I get phone calls I will be charged international fees.

I read to buy a Razr off Ebay and use that and purchase a Sim card once
on our trip.

I am not a technology person I am so confused. I have children at home who will need to be getting ahold of me when I am traveling and I would like to send text messages, emails and chat on the phone.

I feel if I go into a location being so uneducated that I can easily be taken advantage of and end up paying more than I hope to.

Would someone be so kind as to offer (without insult) any information you can so that I know what my best option is for using a phone while on vacation.

Thank you in advance.
Old May 5, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by boerne
Just got back from Peru, specifically Iquitos and Nauta. There is edge and GSM at both those towns but not 3G and for sure not HPSA+ (that was available in Lima). Confirmed on a verizon iphone 4s and ATT Skyrocket. I don't know about sims because I didn't try to buy one, but Claro seemed dominant and Movistar was less obvious. Both had stores in Iquitos.
Originally Posted by bukzin
You might contact Xcom in California to see if they offer service in Peru.

I would ask for an email response to pin them down.
The area in question has no conventional wireless coverage, it only has Nextel because the mining operations in the area use it as a radio platform and paid for the towers and backhaul to be installed.
Old May 5, 2012, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by mrcamp
No. If the phone is off, you will not be charged. If that phone is unlocked, you can get a local sim card at your destination, and use that for your local and international calls. You can also give that number out to the folks at home, should they need to reach you. If your phone is not unlocked, contact tmobile for the unlock code. They should give it it out if you are a customer in good standing. If for some reason you cannot get the unlock code from tmobile, you can get it from a 3rd party, ebay, etc. for a small fee. OTOH, you can just get a basic/cheap unlocked phone and pop a local sim into it.
Thank you. How would I know locked vs unlocked? I bought it from T mobile and have been with them since 1999.
Old May 6, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Thank you. How would I know locked vs unlocked? I bought it from T mobile and have been with them since 1999.
If you bought it from T-mobile it is locked. Call them and they will send you the
unlock code in a couple of weeks. You will need a different sim card to unlock it.
Borrow an ATT card or a active foreign sim card to unlock it. It is very easy.
Old May 6, 2012, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by powerlifter
If you bought it from T-mobile it is locked. Call them and they will send you the
unlock code in a couple of weeks. You will need a different sim card to unlock it.
Borrow an ATT card or a active foreign sim card to unlock it. It is very easy.
Thank you.
So I will call Tmobile - get unlock code.

Use ATT Card sim to unlock - how so, just by inserting it. Or will Tmobile send me instructions?

Thanks again!
Old May 7, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Thank you.
So I will call Tmobile - get unlock code.

Use ATT Card sim to unlock - how so, just by inserting it. Or will Tmobile send me instructions?

Thanks again!
They will e-mail instructions. Just insert an ATT sim in the phone and follow the instructions.
Old May 13, 2012, 7:05 pm
DH

AT&T Prepaid Canada/Mexico Roaming Rate

It's very interesting that AT&T's Canadian roaming rate for its prepaid plan (39¢/min) is lower than its post plan subscribers (59¢/min or 79¢/min). For Mexico roaming, the rate is (25¢/min vs 59¢/min or 99¢/min)

For those who are visiting both US and Canada/Mexico (voice only) may want to checkout AT&T prepaid plan.
Old May 17, 2012, 9:35 am

US Data for iPad

Does anyone know of a reasonable data plan for iPad when travelling to the US? I have an abroadband sim but at €0.59/Mb its really only for emergencies.

I know AT&T have a no contract monthly plan but do you need a US address for the credit card? Any other US based potentials? Are there any UK solutions that are cheaper?

The iPad is unlocked and and I do have a small usage Vodafone plan.
Thanks
Old May 17, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
If you don't mind EDGE speed:

http://www.mysimplemobile.com/plans-...and-plans.aspx

Although you might get lucky and hit a tower where T-Mobile has HSPA running at 1900mhz.

I have seen this service successfully activated with Canadian, UK and South African credit cards.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:50 pm

Prepaid SIM w/data for Germany / Slovakia

Hi All,

After way too many trips to europe using my US based phone and coming home to $500+ phone bills, I've decided to finally do the prepaid SIM thing!

I've looked around and see several offers that are similar. I also noticed the WorldSIM card in the Lufthansa in flight catalog.....trying to figure it out! could use some guidance!
Old May 26, 2012, 2:42 pm

What guidance specifically? What country to you need it for, do you need it for voice or data, or both. The other threads on here have likely addressed all the questions you may have.

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Hi All,

After way too many trips to europe using my US based phone and coming home to $500+ phone bills, I've decided to finally do the prepaid SIM thing!

I've looked around and see several offers that are similar. I also noticed the WorldSIM card in the Lufthansa in flight catalog.....trying to figure it out! could use some guidance!
Old May 26, 2012, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by mrcamp
What guidance specifically? What country to you need it for, do you need it for voice or data, or both. The other threads on here have likely addressed all the questions you may have.
Germany mostly, was looking for a suggestion for "brand name" or carrier that may be better than others for good connectivity, rates, etc. Since my post I've started going back to search, but not much luck yet.
Old May 27, 2012, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Germany mostly, was looking for a suggestion for "brand name" or carrier that may be better than others for good connectivity, rates, etc. Since my post I've started going back to search, but not much luck yet.
In Germany I just went into a T-Mobile Store and bought a cheap SIM (under $20) that gave me enough voice and data for the visit. I am usually mostly interested in data.

Basically I would visit any name brand cellular store- I generally stick to the large company owned stores. This has worked in most countries in Europe, South Africa, Turkey, etc.

In the UK CarPhoneWarehouse was helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.