Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by So Pang
Hi everyone my cousin is arriving from Asia tomorrow landing San Francisco. He just realised that he needs to use his iPhone 4s but he does not have a sim card here for North America voice and data usage (needs this as a GPS as well).

If anyone can help to suggest something for him e.g. where to buy a sim card and then prepay for data and voice usage within the U.S. for 2 weeks (online order for a sim card is not a choice since he is on a road trip), that would be great.

Thanks a lot!
Since you're last minute, you have just two options: ATT and T-mobile.

T-mobile has some very nice prepaid plans but in most places you will get very slow data (Edge only because of frequency incompatibility).

ATT has horrible prepaid plans, especially concerning data, but you will get fast speeds.

If you can find someone selling H2O wireless SIM's they are the best deal - probably some prepaid shops in SF will have em but easiest to buy online.

G'luck
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.2MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Japan & iPhone

We are just back from Japan. Guidebooks etc. indicated that our iPhones (4s model) would not work because Japan uses a different frequency. I asked at one of the several phone counters, and they told me a locked iPhone from AT&T would not work with a rent sim. We rented a couple of Japanese phones at the airport from Softbank. We then noticed that our iPhones did get a quite expensive offer for data service from Softbank. We also received some junk calls on our iPhone while in Japan (which went unanswered). So I guess that the iPhone 4s will work, but if unlocked you can't put in a foreign sim and who knows what the charges will be. BTW the voice service from Softbank was terrible on the rent phones, but texting was fine. The first rent phone counter had phones without the text feature (I asked), so be sure to ask if renting a phone in Japan. We used the rent phones for service within Japan not back to the US.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by olddallas
We are just back from Japan. Guidebooks etc. indicated that our iPhones (4s model) would not work because Japan uses a different frequency. I asked at one of the several phone counters, and they told me a locked iPhone from AT&T would not work with a rent sim. We rented a couple of Japanese phones at the airport from Softbank. We then noticed that our iPhones did get a quite expensive offer for data service from Softbank. We also received some junk calls on our iPhone while in Japan (which went unanswered). So I guess that the iPhone 4s will work, but if unlocked you can't put in a foreign sim and who knows what the charges will be. BTW the voice service from Softbank was terrible on the rent phones, but texting was fine. The first rent phone counter had phones without the text feature (I asked), so be sure to ask if renting a phone in Japan. We used the rent phones for service within Japan not back to the US.
I was in Tokyo 2 weeks ago, and bought a b-Mobile prepaid SIM card from one of the electronic stores (~¥3500). I bought Skype credits to call Japan numbers, and it worked well. It does switch around networks and I will have no service on some underground lines, but it was efficient and allowed me to contact my friends via Whatsapp or Line (similar to Whatsapp).
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Ryvyan
I was in Tokyo 2 weeks ago, and bought a b-Mobile prepaid SIM card from one of the electronic stores (~¥3500). I bought Skype credits to call Japan numbers, and it worked well. It does switch around networks and I will have no service on some underground lines, but it was efficient and allowed me to contact my friends via Whatsapp or Line (similar to Whatsapp).
Most subway lines don't have any base stations in the tunnels so there won't be any cell service when the trains are moving.

Yup right now the bb-mobile sim is probably the easiest way to get prepaid data anywhere in Japan.

They came out with a tourist-friendly version which self activates without the need for a japanese phone recently.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/u300_visitor.html
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:34 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by theworld
Hi

I'm going to both the UK and Italy for about 2.5 weeks.

For the UK I will require calling and for Italy basically just data. I will be in Rome and Sardinia in Italy.

Ideally I would just want one sim card to cover both, but appreciate this may not be possible. In the UK I'm getting Giff Gaff (sp?). However what are my options for Italy?

Thanks!
tep looked good
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:12 pm

Hi. I'm going to both the UK and Italy for about 2.5 weeks.

For the UK I will require calling and for Italy basically just data. I will be in Rome and Sardinia in Italy.

Ideally I would just want one sim card to cover both, but appreciate this may not be possible. In the UK I'm getting Giff Gaff (sp?). However what are my options for Italy?

Thanks!
Italy has four mobile operators. Vodaphone Italy. with 33% of the market is just behind TIM. Vodaphone, a British company, is the second largest mobile operator in the world with operators in 30 countries so there are carryover benefits.

The Vodaphone Italy mobile prepaid data and calling rates seem very reasonable.

Last edited by cyberbiker; Jul 12, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:34 am
DH

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just back from Canada where I used my Fido prepaid SIM with my newly unlocked iPhone 3GS. Everything was flawless, and I was able to buy (directly from the phone via my prepaid account) 60MB blocks of data for $5 each - which I think is pretty cheap given I wasn't tethering or using the phone for heavy data use.
I'm wrapping up the Canadian trip and I got Fido prepaid SIM from a ebay dealer with $10 credit around ~$11 and got activated from the trip. Once I arrived in Canada, I added $20 and got 500MB for $25. I have unlocked iPhone 4 and I had to change APN setting to Fido. After Fido APN is set, the service was good. Despite a little inconvenience, it sure beats getting AT&T data plan and iPhoneTrip which I used last year.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Is this thread getting updated? I didn't see it but I will chip in with some countries

Some useful recent info in this thread when I asked a couple of weeks ago for the UK

Here are some South American options

Peru Claro

- How to get a SIM card and what you need to do (ID, passport, addresses)

Technically SIM cards must be registered to a Peruvian national but they work around this by registering your passport number or other ID as a Peruvian DNI. They will NOT do this in Lima Airport though. Best to try a concession in a department store. SIM cost S/.15

- How to add pre-paid value (top up, voucher, ...)

Easiest to do at a supermarket checkout. Top up cards very hard to find

- The costs of internet access (daily, weekly, by time or volume)

24 hours of internet is activated by sending the message 1d1 to 779. It costs only S/.1 but is a piddly 0.23Mbs though (when measured in LIM this week) OK for emails and cheap as chips. S/.1 is about 40¢

Weekly and monthly options available too

Colombia Tigo

SIMs need to be registered to a Colombian, best thing to do is wander around until someone doing a promo in the street offers to sell you one then ask them to register it too.

Top up vouchers hard to find again, electronic top ups are available in stationery stores, internet cafes etc

Internet access is activated by sending a text message once again, it terminates at midnight. Cost until midnight is COP$5000. Tigo is fast (measured at 3.5Mbs last week)

Weekly and monthly options available too

Colombia Uff

Sold in supermarkets, MVNO aimed at international calling and prepaid data.

There are no prepaid vouchers, top ups at electronic payment points
http://www.uffmovil.com/dondecomprar

1 month unlimited (excludes music and videos) COP$25000 and doesn't work on Blackberry
1 Month Blackberry social plan $30000 (probably only gives access to facebook and nonsense like that)
1 Month Blackberry unlimited $50000
I got AT&T to SIM-unlock my iPhone 4 (GSM) and would like to have it available for use on my upcoming trip (~12 days in Peru and ~8 days in Colombia), partially for local calling access (small volume--calling ahead to book rooms as we travel, etc.) but mostly for data (preferably more than the 0.23MB given in the instructions above by JohnnyColombia).

Very interested in the possibility of enabling tethering on my iPhone (not jailbroken). If that is not possible, I may need to look at a low-cost USB modem.

Advice on this? At the very least, is the Claro stand at Ripley Miraflores still willing and able to sell and register a SIM to your passport?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:16 pm

update

Further edit on 15 Sept, as have found another operator which offers prepaid data plans. This operator is called CSL. The price is not competitive, but I'm adding it in for completeness.

I'm editing this post, as Three HK has changed its prepaid data plan options. Also China Mobile has updated its prepaid data plan

As far as I know there are three networks in HK that provide prepaid SIM data plans, I have got most of the information from the various network's websites, however I have also got additional information from speaking to people, which I have added in here.

Two networks are on 3G/HSDPA and the other is on 2G EDGE.

Networks

Three (3HK)

CSL One2Free

China Mobile (Peoples)

Plan information on websites

3HK HSDPA Broadband Access Rechargeable SIM ("3HK HSDPA")

3HK International Roaming Rechargeable SIM ("3HK IRRS")

3HK Rechargeable SIM ("3HK Rechargeable")

Mobile Data prepaid SIM

Peoples Mobile Data Prepaid SIM Card

Frequency

3HK: 3G/HSDPA 2100 MHz

CSL: 3G/HSDPA 900 & 2100 MHz

Peoples: 2G EDGE 1800 MHz

Where to get the SIM cards

You should be able to pick them up at the airport, but I am not sure of this.

You can definitely pick them up at 3HK, CSL or Peoples stores in HK.

In addition you may be able to pick up the SIM cards from various 7-11's or Circle Ks (but I have not verified this).

3HK also sell their SIM cards at the following locations: ParknShop (supermarket), Fortress (electronics retailer), Watsons (pharmacy), Taste (supermarket) and Citicall (electronics retailer).

For all three companies if you go to the market stalls on Apliu Street, in Sham Shui Po some of them will sell the SIM cards at a discount (around HK$60).

There are no requirements in terms of proof of address, ID, etc. Just pay the cash and you will get the SIM card.

Initial costs & other information

3HK HSDPA
- HK$98 (this counts towards your credit) [Apparently, while the card costs HK$98, it comes with HK$150 credit on it]
- Validity = 180 days from last top up
- Can use the daily data roaming rate
- APN = ipc.three.com.hk

3HK IRRS
- HK$98 (HK$55 stored value with an additional HK$52 of calling credit)
- APN = mobile.three.com.hk

3HK Rechargeable
- HK$198 (this counts towards your credit)
- This is marketed as an Ipad SIM, so it comes with a Micro SIM card. To use with other phones that use the Mini SIM card you need to pick up a Mini SIM card adaptor. These are readily available in Hong Kong and should cost no more than HK$20
- Can use the daily data roaming rate
- APN = imobile.three.com.hk

CSL
- HK$178
- Validity = 60 days from last top up over HK$50
- APN = CSLP2

Peoples
- HK$139 (this counts towards your call credit)
- Validity = 180 days from last top up
- APN = peoples.net

Charges

3HK HSDPA
- Data: HK$2 per MB, capped at HK$28 per day and HK$298 per month
- Full list of charges: http://www.three.com.hk/website/appm...10594&lang=eng
- User guide

3HK IRRS
- Data: HK$2 per MB, capped at HK$28 per day and HK$338 per month
- Full list of charges: http://www.three.com.hk/website/appm...10594&lang=eng
- User guide

3HK Rechargeable
- Data: HK$18 a month, which includes 50MB of data, then HK$2 per MB, capped at HK$28 per day and HK$168 per month
- Wifi: Free Wifi provided by Y5Zone. You do have to register for this service
- Full charges: http://www.three.com.hk/website/appm...10594&lang=eng
- User guide

CSL
- Data: Unlimited = HK$50 1 day pass, HK$178 5 day pass, HK$788 30 day pass
- Full list of charges: http://one2free.hkcsl.com/jsp/prepai...es/charges.jsp

Peoples
- Data: HK$0.04 per KB, unlimited = HK$9 1 day package, HK$38 7 day package, HK$78 30 day package
- Full list of charges: http://www.hk.chinamobile.com/p_prep..._charge_en.jsp

Refill methods (for travellers)

3HK
- Voucher (can be purchased at 7-11's, Circle K, 3HK shops & various other retailers)
- Internet via credit card (note, the recharge website is only compatible with Internet Explorer)
- [There are other refill methods, but these normally are reserved for HK residents]
- More information: http://www.three.com.hk/website/appm...10594&lang=eng

CSL
- Voucher (can be purchased at 7-11's, Circle K, CSL shops & various other retailers)
- Internet via credit card
- [There are other refill methods, but these normally are reserved for HK residents]
- More information: http://one2free.hkcsl.com/jsp/prepai...rge_method.jsp

Peoples
- Voucher (can be purchased at 7-11's, Circle K, Peoples shops & various other retailers)
- Internet via credit card
- More information: http://www.hk.chinamobile.com/p_prep...sim_vam_en.jsp

I think I have provided all the information required, however do let me know if anything is missing.
Is this still all the same or have things changed. I will be in HKG Dec 2012 and sorting thru what is the best sim for my Acer A501 android tablet is a minefield. But this info provided here is definitely a great help.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
So quick question for all --- am planning on buying a worldwide compatible Huawei Mifi as others have suggested here (GREAT INFO!!). Am running into a Huawei e586, some cases a e586ES ... what does the "ES" mean and what's the diff between the two???
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Latest experiences with iPhoneTrip (France)

Did things a bit differently this time; instead of dedicating a device to use as a WiFi "server" (my old iPhone 3G), I jailbroke my iPhone4S (IOS 5.1.1) and used MyWi to distribute the signal. Worked great! The latest version of MyWi allows you to communicate with other devices via WiFi, USB (your sync cable) and Bluetooth. Could not get the Bluetooth to work, but everything else was great. Especially USB/Sync cable, which, when you plug it into your laptop, simply works. I mean poof, you're connected. No configuration. Awesome!!!

Note that you're going to be much more limited if you haven't jailbroken your phone; specifically, you're not going to be able to use it as a server for other devices.

Downside to jailbreaking your iPhone? Main one that I can see is potentially reduced battery life, because you end up with more things running in the background.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
I also use my iphone jailbroken and with TetherMe installed, it just stops the telco's from disabling the hotspot feature (I have used MyWi on the iPad when I didn't want to change SIMs in my phone)

TetherMe is much cheaper than MyWi
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by quick_dry
I also use my iphone jailbroken and with TetherMe installed, it just stops the telco's from disabling the hotspot feature (I have used MyWi on the iPad when I didn't want to change SIMs in my phone)

TetherMe is much cheaper than MyWi
Realistically, at just $19.99, MyWi could be much more expensive but still a good value considering what it offers. TetherMe might have other capabilities though! I don't know, for example, if MyWi "hides" your hotspot use from your carrier.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, UA 1K 2MM, CZ Gld, VS Gld, SPG Lifetime Plt, IC PltAm, Hilton Dmd, Shangrila Diamond
For data a mts card is best but I would do it as a router. For signal, airtel
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jackal
I got AT&T to SIM-unlock my iPhone 4 (GSM) and would like to have it available for use on my upcoming trip (~12 days in Peru and ~8 days in Colombia), partially for local calling access (small volume--calling ahead to book rooms as we travel, etc.) but mostly for data (preferably more than the 0.23MB given in the instructions above by JohnnyColombia).

Very interested in the possibility of enabling tethering on my iPhone (not jailbroken). If that is not possible, I may need to look at a low-cost USB modem.

Advice on this? At the very least, is the Claro stand at Ripley Miraflores still willing and able to sell and register a SIM to your passport?
An update based on my experiences:

I couldn't find the Claro stand inside Ripley, but the Claro store a couple blocks south from there had no issues selling me a prepaid SIM for my iPhone and registering it to my passport.

I ended up prepaying S/. 110 soles (plus the S/. 15 for the SIM) and texting the code for the 15-day data package (15d, I think--I'll need to check the sheet to be sure), which gives 1.5GB of data for S/. 80 (leaving me with S/. 30, or about 15 minutes, for the few voice calls/texts I'm likely to make--can always top up later, too). Speeds in Lima were around 3.5 Mbps down and 0.2 Mbps up--the upload's a bit slow but unless you're trying to send a bunch of pictures or something, it's as usable as 3G anywhere else I've used it.

The big bonus and the reason I ended up going with the 15d/1.5GB data package is that tethering on the iPhone works with prepaid Claro SIMs, so not only do I have data on my phone, I can also use my laptop--a HUGE thing as I need to stay on top of work throughout this trip. Far better than renting a Mifi or whatever.

We drove from Lima to Nazca today (5.5h) and had 3G coverage for about 75% of the drive. Most of the rest of the trip was EDGE with only a few (less than half an hour) of no service. Amazing drive, too: this landscape is like none other that I've seen before--it's the most arid place on earth, and vast swaths of land are entirely barren (not a single bit of vegetation in eyesight). Frankly, I was amazed that I had signal when not another living soul was in sight, although the road is very heavily used by trucks and buses. Tomorrow off to Cuzco; we'll see how well the coverage is in the mountains (not expecting much, so anything I get will be a pleasant surprise).

If you're going to be there for awhile, it may be worth setting up an actual monthly plan--one with 3GB of data along with some SMSes and minutes was only S/. 96 per month, but it requires a minimum four-month commitment.

Last edited by jackal; Aug 3, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.