Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
An update based on my experiences:

I couldn't find the Claro stand inside Ripley, but the Claro store a couple blocks south from there had no issues selling me a prepaid SIM for my iPhone and registering it to my passport.

I ended up prepaying S/. 110 soles (plus the S/. 15 for the SIM) and texting the code for the 15-day data package (15d, I think--I'll need to check the sheet to be sure), which gives 1.5GB of data for S/. 80 (leaving me with S/. 30, or about 15 minutes, for the few voice calls/texts I'm likely to make--can always top up later, too). Speeds in Lima were around 3.5 Mbps down and 0.2 Mbps up--the upload's a bit slow but unless you're trying to send a bunch of pictures or something, it's as usable as 3G anywhere else I've used it.

The big bonus and the reason I ended up going with the 15d/1.5GB data package is that tethering on the iPhone works with prepaid Claro SIMs, so not only do I have data on my phone, I can also use my laptop--a HUGE thing as I need to stay on top of work throughout this trip. Far better than renting a Mifi or whatever.

We drove from Lima to Nazca today (5.5h) and had 3G coverage for about 75% of the drive. Most of the rest of the trip was EDGE with only a few (less than half an hour) of no service. Amazing drive, too: this landscape is like none other that I've seen before--it's the most arid place on earth, and vast swaths of land are entirely barren (not a single bit of vegetation in eyesight). Frankly, I was amazed that I had signal when not another living soul was in sight, although the road is very heavily used by trucks and buses. Tomorrow off to Cuzco; we'll see how well the coverage is in the mountains (not expecting much, so anything I get will be a pleasant surprise).

If you're going to be there for awhile, it may be worth setting up an actual monthly plan--one with 3GB of data along with some SMSes and minutes was only S/. 96 per month, but it requires a minimum four-month commitment.
jackal, any update on coverage in Cuzco? Planning a trip to Easter Island and Lima/Cuzco/Machu Picchu and there's not much info out there. Checked here, prepaidgsm.net and the prepaid with data wiki. Any assistance/recommendations per your actual experience would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: All of them...
Originally Posted by docbert
Picked up a blauworld.de SIM card at Frankfurt airport a few days ago.

Firstly, a hint - If you're buying from FRA airport, do NOT go to the electronics shops there - they will charge 40 Euro for the startup kit. Instead, go to the ReiseBank outlets at the airport who will sell you exactly the same thing for 10 euro!
Too late, lost 40€ there already....
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jrmstr33
jackal, any update on coverage in Cuzco? Planning a trip to Easter Island and Lima/Cuzco/Machu Picchu and there's not much info out there. Checked here, prepaidgsm.net and the prepaid with data wiki. Any assistance/recommendations per your actual experience would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
I don't recall the coverage in the mountains between Nazca and Cuzco (I don't think it was great, but that is an extremely remote area), but coverage around Cuzco was perfect, as was Ollantaytambo and Machu Picchu. In fact, I even had coverage on the drive between Ollantaytambo and Cuzco, and I remember hurriedly booking a mistake fare I had been emailed about while riding in the car.

Funny, too--most towns (even small villages) had a Claro-sponsored welcome sign at the entrance along the highway. And sure enough, there was usually coverage (and usually 3G) in towns, even small ones. It was really surprising how good the coverage was--better than in the U.S., I think.

Over all, I was massively shocked at how good the coverage around the country was. I absolutely wouldn't hesitate getting a Claro SIM card.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
I don't recall the coverage in the mountains between Nazca and Cuzco (I don't think it was great, but that is an extremely remote area), but coverage around Cuzco was perfect, as was Ollantaytambo and Machu Picchu. In fact, I even had coverage on the drive between Ollantaytambo and Cuzco, and I remember hurriedly booking a mistake fare I had been emailed about while riding in the car.

Funny, too--most towns (even small villages) had a Claro-sponsored welcome sign at the entrance along the highway. And sure enough, there was usually coverage (and usually 3G) in towns, even small ones. It was really surprising how good the coverage was--better than in the U.S., I think.

Over all, I was massively shocked at how good the coverage around the country was. I absolutely wouldn't hesitate getting a Claro SIM card.
Thanks jackal! Where did you obtain the SIM card in Cuzco? Any trouble registering it?

Also, anyone have experience with a prepaid data SIM for Easter Island? I fly through LIM in the wee hours of the night (not SCL) so there is no possibility of getting one in Santiago for this trip..
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jrmstr33
Thanks jackal! Where did you obtain the SIM card in Cuzco? Any trouble registering it?

Also, anyone have experience with a prepaid data SIM for Easter Island? I fly through LIM in the wee hours of the night (not SCL) so there is no possibility of getting one in Santiago for this trip..
Somewhere in either this thread or another thread, it was mentioned to go to the Claro stand inside the big Ripley department store. I went inside but couldn't find the Claro stand. I did, however, find the Claro store across the street and south a couple of blocks, and they were quite helpful. No trouble registering it at all.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 9:21 am

This looks like a helpful group. Hi! I have a North American Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet with Wifi (not 3g) and will be in the UK in a sparsely populated area with poor Wifi. I need a fair bit of data while there for a week or so, I figure I can do voice back to Canada by Skype.

Last time I was there I got data through Rogers to my iphone, but using maps etc, I chewed through the 25 MB and had $100+ in excess fees when I got back, now it looks like the rate is $225 for 50 MB and I'd rather have the bigger screen anyway, and way more data.

I was told to get a dongle and the 3GB "3" sim cards, but I believe I need a 3G enabled device to get that working. Is that true?

Would a HUAWEI E586 Mifi work for me with a pre purchased sim card (or 3), say off ebay or Amazon.co.uk? Or do you have to have a mobile/data account with one of the companies there to have it work. I'd love to hear any suggestions, if I am way off here.

I don't want to have to find a mobile store while I am there and would love to get it all straightened out soon. The trip is about 5 weeks away. Cheers for any insights, Claire
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skeffling
I don't want to have to find a mobile store while I am there and would love to get it all straightened out soon. The trip is about 5 weeks away. Cheers for any insights, Claire
Check out giffgaff's gigabag - they should work in your Mifi. They use the O2 network so hopefully there's good coverage in that area?

You can order these through the giffgaff community members and have it mailed out to you before your trip. This is probably one of the cheapest ways to get lots of 3G data while in the UK.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CatJo
Check out giffgaff's gigabag - they should work in your Mifi. They use the O2 network so hopefully there's good coverage in that area?

You can order these through the giffgaff community members and have it mailed out to you before your trip. This is probably one of the cheapest ways to get lots of 3G data while in the UK.
I post sims (and if you send me money, top up vouchers) to the US - PM me if you want more info.... (If this is against FT rules let me know and I will remove...)
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How long would it take to pop into a mobile shop and get a SIM?

You could probably grab one before you leave the airport after landing in the UK.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:29 am

Pre-paid data SIM cards - consolidated thread

A Giffgaff sim is not available from shops...
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Wow Giffgaff looks like a pretty sweet deal.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Wow Giffgaff looks like a pretty sweet deal.
It's got to be about the best deal for any local SIM in all of Europe - just wish they had better roaming rates (especially for data).

Looks to be really easy to acquire too; many in the Giffgaff community will mail one out (even a cut-down nano SIM) along with top-up vouchers too so you can really be good to go before leaving the US. I plan to do this for my trip at the end of the year.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by CatJo
It's got to be about the best deal for any local SIM in all of Europe - just wish they had better roaming rates (especially for data).

Looks to be really easy to acquire too; many in the Giffgaff community will mail one out (even a cut-down nano SIM) along with top-up vouchers too so you can really be good to go before leaving the US. I plan to do this for my trip at the end of the year.
Data roaming is the one downside - but frankly I either get a local sim or turn data off...

And I send all types of sims to people, and make around £200 per month (after costs and taxes) by doing so!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:36 am

Hey can you guys give me some advice?
I am going on a trip to Europe in February; Stopover in LHR, driving to the Austrian Alps from MUC. I really only need a sim for Austria and Germany, but if it can be used at LHR that would be helpful as well. I will be using an unlocked Verizon global phone, so would the Verizon Global Plan be the best deal or do you guys know of a cheaper option to get service on my phone? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Just an update for Ireland. My wife and I went recently for 2 weeks and bought SIMs from Tesco. They are nominally 2.5 Euro, but free with a minimum 10 Euro topup. We are with Verizon, my wife has an Iphone 4S, I have a Droid RAZR MAXX. I had to call Verizon to get hers unlocked, the Droid isn't locked to start with. Tesco only has full size SIMs, so I had to cut them both down to micro size, easy enough to do with scissors and the Verizon SIM as a template.

The 10 Euro top up also gets you another 10 Euro bonus if you call a specified number on the topup receipt. Calls within Ireland are 20 cents/min, under a promotion through 3/31/12, calls to UK and a bunch of other countries are 1 cent/min, 2 cents/min to the US. Out of the topup credit, you can purchase data bundles, I got 1GB good for 30 days for 6.99, which left plenty of talk time for our needs, including regular calls back to the US.

For calls, both phones worked with nothing other than replacing the SIMs and rebooting. The Iphone was the same for data, but for the droid I had to manually set the APN settings, and occasionally had to reboot the phone going from one area to another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.