[archived] Favorite android application

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[archived] Favorite android application

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage Citi Platinum Select, DL Skymiles/AMEX Plat
For those who can't stand getting calls from "Unknown", "Private", or "Withheld" numbers, Call Filter and Extreme Call Blocker both work extremely well! Someone from an "unknown" number has been calling me 5+ times a day. Now that both apps are installed, hopefully they'll get the hint that I won't be answering their calls . Apparently hitting "ignore" and sending them to voice mail didn't send a strong enough message
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA gold
I got an Android Desire phone last week and I am totally addicted to it and haven't really left it alone! Before that, my old phones would be lucky to be used at least once a month.

Anyone found an Android equivalent of Plane Finder for iPhone?

Basically it plot a google map of where the planes are in the sky.

Also, I came across FlightTrack - the paid for version include linking in with TripIt. Unfortunately I can't find it in the Android Marketplace so I can't download it, even tried using the barcode link.

Last edited by Stez; Apr 20, 2010 at 12:27 pm Reason: Fixed link!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Stez
I got an Android Desire phone last week and I am totally addicted to it and haven't really left it alone! Before that, my old phones would be lucky to be used at least once a month.

Also, I came across FlightTrack - the paid for version include linking in with TripIt. Unfortunately I can't find it in the Android Marketplace so I can't download it, even tried using the barcode link.
Not certain what you're doing wrong. I followed your link to the FlightTrack website, clicked on the "Android" link on the home page, then used BarcodeScanner (available free in the Market) to scan the code there. You should then be presented with an option to open a browser and find the product. Pressing this takes you to the correct item in the Android Market.

Also, simply going to Androd Market and doing a search on "flighttrack" (with no spaces) brings up the product as the first entry, as does a search on "mobiata".

Could it be because you are in a country other than the US? That's the only reason I can think of for your difficulty locating the app. Perhaps it is not available outside the US.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by deubster
Could it be because you are in a country other than the US? That's the only reason I can think of for your difficulty locating the app. Perhaps it is not available outside the US.
It's a possibility there is a geographical restriction - I've retried again tonight by manually searching FlightTrack and also using the barcode link, to no avail.

I've sent off a question via their comments form to shed some light.

Edit: I've just had a reply (less than five mins since I sent them a question!). The app should be available for use in the UK, there are some geographical limits elsewhere.

In my case, it turns out that the HTC Desire model is NOT yet activated by Google for the paid-for apps in the marketplace. There's a thread on it here with many more details: http://www.google.com/support/forum/...3eba9a1b&hl=en

I've edited my prior post as I erroneously linked to the iPhone page rather than the Android page, but fear not, I was not trying to get the iPhone version!

Last edited by Stez; Apr 20, 2010 at 12:52 pm Reason: Update from FlightTrack
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
In my case, it turns out that the HTC Desire model is NOT yet activated by Google for the paid-for apps in the marketplace. There's a thread on it here with many more details: http://www.google.com/support/forum/...3eba9a1b&hl=en
Not to sidetrack too much, but when I upgraded to a new mytouch3g, it also wasn't activated by google. a PITA, but once fixed, the market about doubles in size.. Its not activated to download copy protected apps, and some apps actually removed their copy protection until it was added to the authorized list.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
I have been beta testing the "Air Traffic Control Status US" widget for Android the past few weeks. It is a widget that takes some space on a home screen rotating through the FAA current reports when there are any.

Last edited by aspex; May 3, 2010 at 10:15 am Reason: updated link
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All

I don't, but I would love google to come out with an app that would combine their Skymap app with something like flightaware. Then when I wonder where that plane overhead at 39K feet is going, I could just point my phone at it and google would bring up the flight info. I doubt it will ever happen due to paranoia about someone on the ground knowing what flight is what - flightaware is delayed for this reason - but it would be cool.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The top ten apps I use on my Nexus One:

Daily Dilbert
FeedR
Seesmic
Engadget
nemoPlayer
USB and WiFi tether
IP Camera Viewer
Tube Downloader
Astro
FlightTrack Pro
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:26 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by tev9999
I don't, but I would love google to come out with an app that would combine their Skymap app with something like flightaware. Then when I wonder where that plane overhead at 39K feet is going, I could just point my phone at it and google would bring up the flight info. I doubt it will ever happen due to paranoia about someone on the ground knowing what flight is what - flightaware is delayed for this reason - but it would be cool.
man, that would be cool! Who knows someone at Google? This needs to be done NOW.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:58 am

In my case, it turns out that the HTC Desire model is NOT yet activated by Google for the paid-for apps in the marketplace. There's a thread on it here with many more details: http://www.google.com/support/forum/...3eba9a1b&hl=en ...
Also, as I found out the hard way, be sure you Android is not using WiFi. Apparently Android Market does not show paid apps if the Android is on WiFi and not 3G. Or at least I ran into this issue with my Backflip on AT&T. As soon as I disabled WiFi everything started showing again.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:18 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
ROM Manager is awesome
Old Apr 28, 2010, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by aspex
Also, as I found out the hard way, be sure you Android is not using WiFi. Apparently Android Market does not show paid apps if the Android is on WiFi and not 3G. Or at least I ran into this issue with my Backflip on AT&T. As soon as I disabled WiFi everything started showing again.
How very interesting, thanks for the heads up.

Looks like more apps are available for the HTC Desire now, including FlightTrack which I was finally able to download. Unfortunately, it's a little US-centric for me and TripIt which is free more or less does the same thing for me.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:28 pm

If you ride the BART in San Francisco "Bart Rider" is good for live data from the BART on arriving trains.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:44 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ScottC
The top ten apps I use on my Nexus One:
Thanks for the list - was looking for a better media player. RSS reader too!

Have you more info on the Thether app you use? Also what email app are you using? I'm getting more and more frustrated with the stock email app on the Nexus One.

Thanks,

Aidan
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by aidanc
Thanks for the list - was looking for a better media player. RSS reader too!

Have you more info on the Thether app you use? Also what email app are you using? I'm getting more and more frustrated with the stock email app on the Nexus One.

Thanks,

Aidan
Which email system are you trying to connect to? Are they using POP3 or IMAP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.