[archived] Favorite android application

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[archived] Favorite android application

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
Is there an app to play mpg files? I hate the time it takes to convert them to mpg4 or wmv format.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by skiermsm
Is there an app to play mpg files? I hate the time it takes to convert them to mpg4 or wmv format.
i Music is very popular and it plays MP3s. You'll find it is one of the most popular apps so is very easy to find.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tweetcaster beta, anyone?

I found these reviews of Handmark's Tweetcaster beta.

Has anyone dumped Twidroid or Seesmic for this? I'm only using Swift and it's okay for now.

Matthew Miller @ ZDNet video review
Phil Nickinson @ AndroidCentral w. screenshots

The multiple accounts feature is nice. When it's available as a full version, it's reported there will be paid and free/adware versions.

Which twitterers give you decent reviews or leads on top apps?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Life Time Gold, AA Exec Plat, UA Premier Platinum, *A Gold, SPG Gold
My faves for my N1...with download links

Pixelpipe Lite - Upload Photos to different sites including Twitter, Facebook, Picasa

Evernote

Nimbuzz - multiple chat including skype

Babbler - Facebook interface (better than the official FB one)

Shop Savvy - already mentioned here. Probably my fave app of all my faves.

Pkt Auction - Ebay

Robo Defense - Fun game and a great way to kill time. I upgraded to the paid version but the lite version is a great intro to the game.

Key Ring Rewards Cards - really helped to lighten the wallet. stores all membership cards with bar code (ie blockbuster, gym, duane reade)

Amazon.com - frequent Amazon shopper. It's scary how easy it is to shop using my Nexus One.

OpenTable - for making reservations.

Aloqa - to see what's nearby from movie times, concerts, yelp reviewed restaurants, coffee shops, etc.

TripIt - to keep track of my itineraries. much prefer this interface over the website.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:02 pm

After reading all this I am convinced and going Android.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/GS; AA; CO; DL/NW
So far, lovin the N1. ShopSavvy is a great app; ive spent way too much time scanning random products in the house to see what kind of deal I got. Also confirmed that TJ's really does have good deals on mid-grade wine, after 25 minutes scanning there (with annoyed kid in tow).

I crave an app that allows the GPS/direction thing to broadcast through my car bluetooth, as the speaker on the N1 is a bit too quiet.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hbsseller
After reading all this I am convinced and going Android.
good decision!!! you won't regret it, especially with all new phones that are coming out with android.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:41 am

I've been really happy with the GPS + voice recognition quality on my Droid. Yesterday, while driving in a rental car, I realized that I didn't quite know how to get to DFW, and I was running late. So I pushed the little microphone button and said "Navigate Dallas Fort Worth Airport" and in about 20 seconds, it started giving me driving directions.

On the other hand, I'm very bummed about the lack of bluetooth dialing support. Finding the number and choosing to dial it (even with shortcuts) feels very much like "texting while driving."
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by boberonicus

On the other hand, I'm very bummed about the lack of bluetooth dialing support. Finding the number and choosing to dial it (even with shortcuts) feels very much like "texting while driving."
Does the Droid have voice dialing like the Nexus One? On my N1 saying "call boberonicus mobile" would bring up your number through the same interface as the GPS routing. Not perfect, but it brings up a list of close matches. Can make a call in three screen taps.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by tev9999
Does the Droid have voice dialing like the Nexus One? On my N1 saying "call boberonicus mobile" would bring up your number
It does work, but not through bluetooth. And I seem to have too many contacts for the names to be easily distinguished by the software.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by boberonicus
It does work, but not through bluetooth. And I seem to have too many contacts for the names to be easily distinguished by the software.
Lack of BT voice dialing support is an Android issue, not strictly Droid, but there is a workaround:

An app called "Voice Dialer HF" is activated by pressing the camera button (don't worry, you can still use it for the camera) - something most can do without having to look at the phone. Once pressed, it prompts you through for voice commands.

Until the phone starts dialing, the prompts and your replies are going through the phone's microphone and speaker. They then switch you to the headset.

However, there are a few headsets that can do all the prompts and replies through the headset, notably the BlueAnt Q1. On these, the prompts are built into the headset and are sent to the phone. Scroll down to post 39 in this thread for a discussion of how it works.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by deubster
Lack of BT voice dialing support is an Android issue, not strictly Droid, but there is a workaround
Thanks, I'll go snag one of those BlueAnt headsets. I now return this highjacked thread to its regularly scheduled programming.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who has a favourite wine app for android phones?

I'm just looking for updates and to find out when some of the iPhone apps promised to be ported across, get released.

Here's an iPhone-specific apps list; which ones are comingto /are out on Android? I know that drync is coming (but no firm date).
Megan Berry: 5 Must-Have iPhone Apps for Wine Lovers (who only reviews iphone apps)
Top 5:
Hello Vino
Pair It!
Fromage
Drync Wine
Drink Fit

Honorable mentions:
Wine Snob
Cellar
Wine Ph.D
Cor.kz Wine Info
How about an android version of Snooth?
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:54 pm

Managing Frequent Flyer & Rewards Programs...

Anybody know if there is an android app out there that will allow you to keep track of a variety of hotel/air/car/etc rewards programs in one place, maybe (or ideally) something that will automatically update points balances as you go???
Old Apr 11, 2010, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mplockhart
Anybody know if there is an android app out there that will allow you to keep track of a variety of hotel/air/car/etc rewards programs in one place, maybe (or ideally) something that will automatically update points balances as you go???
Do you have Trip It? Does it do some of what you need?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.