Search

[archived] Favorite android application

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Android 2.1 apps update?

Hi android owners,
I'm currently charging my new phone and will soon look for some travel-helpful apps.
Do you all ust go straight to the Android Store or do you have favourite blogs/sites/forums where the various apps are reviewed/rated/explained?

More specifically, is there anywhere which shows the Andoid version of v. popular iPhone apps, where such a version exists?

Finally, will all apps work on ealrier Android versions or will we soon see some tuned specifically for the newer, faster Android 2,x phones like the Nexus One & Moto Droid?
Thanks!
BiziBB (and his new HTC black Magic!)
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:30 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by BiziBB
Android 2.1 apps update?

Hi android owners,
I'm currently charging my new phone and will soon look for some travel-helpful apps.
Do you all ust go straight to the Android Store or do you have favourite blogs/sites/forums where the various apps are reviewed/rated/explained?

More specifically, is there anywhere which shows the Andoid version of v. popular iPhone apps, where such a version exists?

Finally, will all apps work on ealrier Android versions or will we soon see some tuned specifically for the newer, faster Android 2,x phones like the Nexus One & Moto Droid?
Thanks!
BiziBB (and his new HTC black Magic!)
androlib.com has a pretty exhaustive, searchable database of the Android Market apps (the online android market site itself is useless), with the information and reviews that you get when you find the app in the market on the phone. Basically it just makes viewing the info easier. Beware, though, when I'm not behind my company's firewall, Kaspersky antivirus occasionally flags some of the ads on androlib.com as malware.

Often, you can get a better look at an app's features by googling the app's name, followed by the word "android" to get to the developer's page. Androlib.com also typcally has a link to the developer's website, if there is one.

There are already some apps that work on 2.0 or 2.01 that don't work on 1.5, so, given the extensive list of new features promised in 2.1, I have little doubt there will be apps that are not available to earlier operating systems as it is futher updated. By the way, the market app knows which operating system you have, and will not show you apps that don't work on your phone. Some are even sequestered by geographical region.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
androlib.com has a pretty exhaustive, searchable database of the Android Market apps (the online android market site itself is useless), with the information and reviews that you get when you find the app in the market on the phone. Basically it just makes viewing the info easier.
...There are already some apps that work on 2.0 or 2.01 that don't work on 1.5,
...Some are even sequestered by geographical region.
Thanks, HH, valuable advice! I'm interested in the compass-based apps or helpers with Google Maps, as a starting point. As well as trying out all my other Google accounts.

Hopefully the HTC Android phone isn't a mistake!
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guys, seeing as this is the Android version of a 'netbook for travel' thread...

What twitter app/widget do you use or recommend on Android 1.5? twidroid seems to be the leading app (twidgit lite widget also gets mentions) but I did read about another newish one that's good.

Which is the best pick for someone with multiple twitter accounts? Is it worth it?
I'd use my twitter.com/winedriving twitter account on the phone, but would be happy to also use my BiziBB account if it's no trouble to run >1 account.

(btw I'm using a HTC Magic, straight out of the box, no mods, running Android 1.5, so might not get the latest 1.6-2.1 versions until I update/flash the ROMs)
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What twitter app/widget do you use or recommend on Android 1.5? twidroid seems to be the leading app (twidgit lite widget also gets mentions) but I did read about another newish one that's good.
Try seesmic. I love their BB client and I believe they have an Android client as well.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!

Originally Posted by sbm12
Try seesmic. I love their BB client and I believe they have an Android client as well.
Thanks. I did read a few recent raves for Seesmic - seems it's becoming almost as hot as twidroid.

I downloaded a blackjack game and a silly monkey game from Marketplace, too.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:55 am

PDAnet now works on Mac tethered and by bluetooth. Very easy and fast.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Downloadable Map?

Has anyone discovered an app that allows for downloading GPS maps? I would like to use my Nexus One GPS in flight but will not have a data connection at 39,000 feet. I don't need street level, just major points from DTW-LAS.

EDIT:

Answered my own question. I discovered MapDroyd. You have to download individual maps based on US state or country, but it looks like it will basically work to keep me entertained in flight. It is missing maps for South Dakota and Utah, so I guess I will have to guess when we cross Bryce/Zion Canyons.

There is also Copilot Live, but it is not free.

Last edited by tev9999; Jan 22, 2010 at 9:45 am
Old Jan 23, 2010, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tev9999
Has anyone discovered an app that allows for downloading GPS maps? I would like to use my Nexus One GPS in flight but will not have a data connection at 39,000 feet. I don't need street level, just major points from DTW-LAS.

EDIT:

Answered my own question. I discovered MapDroyd...
tev9999,
  • Are you posting here (at least occasionally) with your phone?
  • if so, from a 'marketplace' browser like Dolphin?
  • have you had success posting using voice recognition? That would be a great improvement and almost make your phone a useful FT posting tool!

Old Jan 23, 2010, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here are a few I downloaded from a very recent Top Ten Android Apps story:
  • Advanced Task Killer
  • Bluetooth File Transfer (may not use this...)
  • i Music (not sure if I'll use but an interesting idea)
  • Places Directory

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=29818

Anyone else using a pre- 'droid 2.0 phone like a HTC Magic or Hero?
I'm pretty happy so far. Have had it just over a week (HTC Magic on a great deal plan & 2Gb data)

Do you use Dolphin as a browser and ChompSMS instead of the default app?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
tev9999,
  • Are you posting here (at least occasionally) with your phone?
  • if so, from a 'marketplace' browser like Dolphin?
  • have you had success posting using voice recognition? That would be a great improvement and almost make your phone a useful FT posting tool!

I am using dolphin as my default browser and I do like it. It is nice having normal sites instead of the crippled WAP ones I was used to on my BB Pearl. I tried posting a message here earlier via voice recognition, but it is not really accurate enough for full paragraphs. I do use it for short entries like google searches or adding something to my grocery list.

I have not been on the road, so really have not had a need to post to FT while mobile. Even if I did, I think it would look a bit strange to be talking into my phone in short choppy sentences, editing via the keyboard, saying another sentence, ... OK for the hotel maybe, not for the airport.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tev9999
I am using dolphin as my default browser and I do like it...

...I tried posting a message here earlier via voice recognition, but it is not really accurate enough for full paragraphs.

... I think it would look a bit strange to be talking into my phone in short choppy sentences, editing via the keyboard, saying another sentence, ... OK for the hotel maybe, not for the airport.
Thanks; I've tried to d/l Dolphin a couple of times; no luck so will try again tonight.

The etiquette (especially travelling/using in public places to- & inside the US, especially airports) will be interesting. I'm expecting some suspicion as it appears you're doing something appearing odd...

For all Android users- which weather app do you use - and is its scope worldwide?

I'd think that world weather/clock apps giving local time & weather plus forecasts would be great for FT travellers and for packing appropriately for the weather.

Androlib has a few of interest. Weather Wideget Donate or Clock Weather?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
For all Android users- which weather app do you use - and is its scope worldwide?
I'm using the weather.com widget and it adjusts itself as your location changes, though I'm not sure what it would do outside of the US.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
WeatherBug Elite and Radar Now.

I do not know about none US use.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Weather.com can't seem to be set to Celcius; it's detailed but being only in F means I'm looking elsewhere.

Accuweather is another I donloaded and it's my choice for now, but I'm looking forward to the weather clock apps.

I've also got ChompSMS and it's an improvement on the standard app.

Anyone using vinecandy as a wino app?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.